Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

Apr 07, 2018

Fantastic Course! It helps you build a deep insight into the evolution of graphic design and also as a process of the assignments helps you understand local graphic practices and subculture!

101 - 125 of 217 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By 黄楚风

Sep 01, 2016

Inspires me a lot.

By Stephanie O

Feb 27, 2017

It's good to have a background on the history of Graphic Design. Historical and Contemporary References and what their differences helps me when designing a brand/logo/logotype

By Radu V

Oct 11, 2016

I love it!

By Hayden P

Jun 01, 2017

Great Intro, thanks so much

By Utpal B

Apr 09, 2017

This is such a remarkable course and is indispensable for every aspiring graphic artist as well as enthusiast. It covers the remarkable trends in graphic design from past and how those trends permeated into contemporary practices in design. Thanks a lot to California Institute of the Arts and Coursera for developing and offering such a wonderful course with a blend of design philosophies and insights into hands on practice.

By AC

Oct 07, 2016

Liked the course. I would love to learn even more about the History of Graphic Design now))

By Ana P B

Oct 25, 2016

It was very interesting to know this different periods and specific designer's works. I was surprised to know Sister Corita, her work is awesome. And the assignments were another very nice way to know other cultures and points of view.

By Ronald K

Oct 09, 2017

Very informative! I recommend it! =) It helped me to understand a bit more of the world and how the design evolved in modern/contemporary era.

By Elsa P

Dec 15, 2017

This is a great introductory course in the history of design. The material was presented clearly and it's very well planned and organized. I had some issues with the audio but this is a minor issue that can be easily fixed

By Adele

Sep 18, 2017

西方设计历史上可供借鉴学习的典型时期介绍。

By SYED Q

Nov 11, 2017

it was great

By Brenda R

Jun 07, 2018

I thought it would be boring, but they made it very fun and interesting! Enjoyed it a lot!

By Israel T

Oct 05, 2016

I definitely recommend this course!

By jen a

Oct 23, 2016

very informative course, it's very good to know the inspiration of contemporary art cultures. it opens up more creativity and out of the box thinking for new artists like me. Thank you

By Natalia M

Jan 17, 2017

I really enjoyed this class and thought it was very useful for learning about the importance of historical events that contribute to how we design graphics today.

By Ruben q

Jul 19, 2016

Very good course where you get a short summary of modern graphic design, from the industrial revolution until the late 70s

By Ampol A

Dec 26, 2017

W1 - Completed

W2 - Completed

W3 - Completed

W4 - Completed

By Anand V

Jun 28, 2018

The design created in past really create ideas for present trend

By Jill C

Jun 18, 2018

I've been interested in graphic design for a long time but have no background in it, and this was a great introduction for me. (I can imagine it being too basic for those from the art or design world, but for me it was perfect.) I looked forward to watching the lectures, and I enjoyed doing the assignments more than I expected to.

By David A V D S

Apr 25, 2018

Wow! that was a new experience for a designer like me. Good job!

By Gabriella R

Nov 06, 2017

My favourite course!

By Jane E M

Mar 11, 2017

Eloquent and inspiring. You'll want to read more on your own.

By Ferdinand P

Aug 30, 2016

This is a very important course in understanding the history of graphic design. Good job to the creators of this course.

By Juan C E

Dec 20, 2016

It is a powerful tool for anyone interested on Visual Arts. The way this course is designed and curated, allows the student to expand the scope of the matter and get some inspiration to pursue his own sources of knowledge. Good work!

By Fatimah O

Jan 14, 2017

I really like it, even it took long time for me to submit week 4 assignments before the dead line.

I really wonder if calart afford an online graphic design degree.

Thanks.