Back to Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction by University of Virginia

A unique and exciting introduction to the genre and craft of historical fiction, for curious students, aspiring authors--anyone with a passion for the past. Read classics of the genre, encounter bestselling writers of historical fiction, and discover your own historical archive while interacting with a global community of interested readers....

DG

Nov 13, 2015

Exceptional experience. I enjoyed the entire course. This was my first real sojourn into the genre and now I'm hooked. Thank you, very much, for sharing this quality education. Be Well.

RH

May 30, 2016

Super wonderful class. Very educational and enjoyable. I collected more books after this class and re-read many of them. Recommend The Love Artist featured in one of the sessions.

1 - 25 of 67 Reviews for Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction

By Ana O

Aug 26, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was my first one in Coursera and it was very helpful to do it at my own pace. I found very useful advice regarding sources and research strategies. The seminars were very good and also the conversations. The sound could be improved but having subtitles helps to overcome the technical issues. Thank you.

By Kage G

May 09, 2017

This course is a poor transfer from one of their online or hybrid courses. The professor constantly mentions readings that were never put in the Coursera lessons, and the quizzes are on those readings. DO NOT TAKE!!!

By Samuel T M

May 04, 2017

All the guests were women. Imagen if all the guests had been men!!!

By Carol G

Feb 03, 2019

This course is brilliant. Prof Bruce is a terrific teacher and guide through a mountain of fascinating resources.

The visiting writers are charismatic and so willing to answer questions about their writing, the students are engaged in discussion and ask excellent questions

Terrific links to as much core and supplementary reading as you would want,

By Maria d S B B

Sep 12, 2016

I just loved it!

By Susan K

Dec 29, 2015

Fascinating and useful information that I'll use as I work on a novel set in the 19th century.

By Eris G

Aug 14, 2015

Interesante, fascinantes escritores invitados y una buena retroalimentacion por parte del equipo y los participantes.

By Valeria M

Jan 09, 2017

Loved this course!

By John

Jun 13, 2016

A bit late, but this was a fascinating course.

By Nicola M

Oct 16, 2015

Comprehensive, useful and interesting.

By Luiggy R A I

Nov 17, 2016

Amazing!

By Katharine H

Oct 30, 2015

Excellent class. Learned so much and was my favorite of the three classes I took this last month on coursera.

By Cheryl L D

Oct 09, 2015

Very informative. Kept my attention throughout the lectures. And at my little UVA, too. Loved most all of it. Keep up the good work.

By Rhonda S H

By charlotte h

Dec 02, 2015

This course is really interesting and taught me a lot about different historical novels! Glad I did it!

By Grace C

Sep 03, 2016

很好很有意思

By Margarita I

Sep 17, 2015

Amazing teacher, great course, good balance and variety of books.

I hope there's a Part 2, I'd do that in a heartbeat!

By Ana M O

Apr 04, 2017

Excellent videos and reading material! Now I have more historical novels based on the recommendations done by the scholars! I hope a similar course is prepared presenting more authors!

By Peter C

Oct 10, 2016

This was a carefully planned course that was very well taught and thoroughly enjoyable to study. I learned a great deal about historical fiction and it inspired me to carry on studying the genre once I had completed the course.

By Charissa

Sep 02, 2015

The best course I've viewed on Coursera by far. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in fiction of any kind.

By Aleksandra K

May 11, 2016

Fantastic course!!! It was very interestic to learn the authors point of view

By Nancy H

May 30, 2016

Fantastic course with a enthusiastic, personable professor. It was fun and informative to hear the different viewpoints of the diverse authors as well as the relevant questions from the students in the seminar.

By Tristan U

Aug 19, 2015

xcellent teacher

By Margaret L B

Nov 09, 2017

This course was unique in presentation as well as content. Professor Holsinger's videos were rich and focused. The author videos provided valuable insight into research and character development. I expected there to be writing assignments (having completed the Creative Writing specialization), but I now know that was not the purpose of the course. From a research standpoint, this course was outstanding. Thank you, Professor Holsinger. -Margaret (Peggy) Barnes, Mentor, Creative Writing, The Craft of Style

By christophe v d