Back to Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction by University of Virginia

A unique and exciting introduction to the genre and craft of historical fiction, for curious students, aspiring authors--anyone with a passion for the past. Read classics of the genre, encounter bestselling writers of historical fiction, and discover your own historical archive while interacting with a global community of interested readers....

PR

Apr 03, 2020

I have learned a lot about historical fiction in english novels, the seminars with the authors were excellent. I am argentinian and it has broaden my spectrum about writing and how to do it.

JC

Sep 17, 2020

I'm not sure why I took this course. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed all the books and the interaction with authors. This was a way to experience literature without writting 5 papers on a book.

76 - 91 of 91 Reviews for Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction

By Antonella C

Oct 23, 2015

I liked the curse a lot. However, I would consider some more gradings throughout the course, not just the few. Otherwise people lose their interest

By Paul

Dec 23, 2015

A good introductory course to historical fiction and the mechanics of writing it.

By Blanca I M R

Apr 18, 2016

I really enjoyed this course, I understand better the literature

By Lorenzo A

Feb 26, 2017

Excellent course for those taking the first steps into hi

By Joy S

Jan 07, 2017

Enjoyed this. Lots of lectures by guest authors.

By Aimi I

Feb 03, 2016

Fun course I feel I learned a lot.

By maria

Dec 20, 2019

Very interessant!!

By Heather C

Jul 19, 2020

Loved learning the material but sucks that none of the quizes are available without the upgrade, many other courses I took had free quizes so that at east your course would be 100% complete, this one shows I'm not even done even though I did all the readings and watched the videos. If the quizes are only available for the upgraded accounts, then they shouldn't be on the free portion and hold you back from showing a completed course.

By Johnathan A

Jul 10, 2017

Loads of problems with old assignments getting lost, and now there isn't even a creative outlet for students. Disappointing in that respect.

By Margaretta N

Sep 09, 2015

I really like the visiting writer seminars -- they were the best part

By kevin h

Sep 13, 2019

it was my mistake this is not the course i thought it would be

By elizabeth t

Oct 29, 2020

This course is a disgrace. The syllabus (which is well-hidden) is very hard to follow; there is no interaction with the instructor, staff or mentor. You get a certificate after completing three bad quizzes in week 3 of 12. There is no way to complete the two peer-graded assignments at the end.

The three books I read were interesting; the videos featuring a real class interacting with four authors (in 2013) give some useful information. Forums with other students are really the only redeeming value of this course, and most don't participate. Those few who do drop out after Week 5.

Just read "Fever", "Ghost Bride" and "Year of Wonders" and save a lot of frustration.

By Carolyn G

Jan 24, 2020

Sadly, unless I purchase a certificate, I can't get even through first quiz and beyond to the rest of the materials. I'm retired and have no need to spend my pension on a course certificate. This should be made clear in the course description - unless you want to pay for a certificate, all you will have is a bunch of definitions from an initial series of talking head lectures - wasted time and not the reason I signed up for this. I feel very misled.

By Kage G

May 09, 2017

This course is a poor transfer from one of their online or hybrid courses. The professor constantly mentions readings that were never put in the Coursera lessons, and the quizzes are on those readings. DO NOT TAKE!!!

By Jeffrey S

Jan 18, 2020

Would appreciate a little less focus on obscure feminist writers and more on the material implied in the title. This course was boring, pretentious and not worth finishing.

By Stephanie

Feb 28, 2018

I managed to suffer through 2 weeks and finally gave up. I adore historical fiction and this course drained the life from it.