Back to Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction by University of Virginia

A unique and exciting introduction to the genre and craft of historical fiction, for curious students, aspiring authors--anyone with a passion for the past. Read classics of the genre, encounter bestselling writers of historical fiction, and discover your own historical archive while interacting with a global community of interested readers....

PR

Apr 03, 2020

I have learned a lot about historical fiction in english novels, the seminars with the authors were excellent. I am argentinian and it has broaden my spectrum about writing and how to do it.

JC

Sep 17, 2020

I'm not sure why I took this course. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed all the books and the interaction with authors. This was a way to experience literature without writting 5 papers on a book.

51 - 75 of 90 Reviews for Plagues, Witches, and War: The Worlds of Historical Fiction

By Nicola M

Oct 16, 2015

Comprehensive, useful and interesting.

By Majda N

Apr 05, 2020

A very fun and informative course!

By Vincent L

Feb 19, 2018

The content was very interesting.

By hyojin

Apr 28, 2016

c

By Judy C

May 02, 2020

An excellent course with some valuable insight into writing, and reading historical fiction. Several of the videos with visiting authors provide excellent insight to the development and use of character, the use of research and personal experience, and how to bring them together to make an enjoyable reading experience, and one which may lead the reader to further delve into history, or to pursue writing in the genre. The course provides excellent clarification on the definition of historical fiction; and examples, through author interview and definition by literary critics, of good, and not as good ,historical fiction. In the end, like all reading and study, it presents the student with a new, and more intellectual scope of choice for future academic and literary choices. The discussion forums, while many are older, offer a wide 'library' of resource for further reading of the genre.

By Monica M

Pro: Really liked the professor's style, how he drew on guest lecturers, how he drew on material from many cultural backgrounds, how he wove it all together. I have created an excellent "To Read" list from this course, including many books I would not have known about otherwise.

Con: I audited this course, and unlike many other courses on Coursera, this course would not allow me to submit the quizzes or assignments. It had an oddly and significantly deflating effect on my continued participation in the course. I skimmed a lot more (rather than really absorbing with maximum attention), and now, even though I have completed all the lectures, I cannot 'complete' this course in a way that the Coursera system recognizes it as finished. I guess I will be in an eternal limbo situation, with the course telling my assignments are overdue.

By Tatiana B C

Apr 06, 2016

I personally enjoyed the course. However I was disappointed when I was told after week (3 or 5?) that I'd completed the course, when I in fact hadn't gotten to the end and had not done the final two assignments...? Regardless, I went ahead and finished the course, but I was also disturbed to see that some of the students did their assignments in a mockery fashion e.g. wrote song lyrics, or stated "I don't know what else to say so I will tell you about my day..." That was very irritating. The class wasn't described clearly in the catalog, I thought it would be more of a history of the periods plus literature, but it wasn't exactly that... Instead it was a discussion of techniques and prose, and exhibiting truly talented authors. I liked the class, just not what I expected.

By Sarab P

Dec 05, 2015

This course was just what I was looking for, being a budding historical fiction writer myself. It made me authenticate that I was doing mostly everything right so far. I have three complete novels in my treasure trove and three as work in progress. Bringing in authentic authors of historical fiction gave me first hand tips, and precious insight into the experiences of real life writers just like me, who take true pleasure in what they do, and do best. I would indeed appreciate a sequel to this well put together course; the sooner the better! Congratulations, Professor Holsinger! Thank you, University of Virginia! P.S. I could do with a complimentary Certificate of Accomplishment, though.

By Joe K

This course is mostly fantastic. Prof Holsingers lectures with students are insightful and the visiting lecturers give many tips on how to write better historical fiction. Exactly as I hoping the course would give me. However, the primary source and writing assignment at the end to give closure to the course are not being peer reviewed and seems to be a falldown in what is otherwise a great course.

By Marrissa L

Aug 08, 2020

A very interesting course with a fascinating subject I've been intrigued by for a while. It gave me many skills and techniques to think about as I attempt to eventually become a historical fiction writer myself someday. My only negative critique is that I wish it dealt with the witches and medieval aspects of the course in the beginning rather than towards the end.

By Natalka K

Great interviews with authors. Basic info is of big value.

However, as I'm only auditing the course , would be great to be able to take tests, just to see where Im am on the learning scale. No certificates for auditing students is fair enough.

Regards.

By Teresah T

Oct 10, 2015

Lovely course for historical fiction enthusiast. There's a wonderful reading list required to read as well as multiple guest speakers besides the professor to help explain more about the genre.

By Arya V

Jul 11, 2020

Very informative. I really liked the course. It really helped to understand how the historical narrative is different from historical fiction and why is it important.

By Meredith F

Aug 30, 2015

Great course. I loved the seminars with the different authors. The course was fun and interesting and the professor was knowledgeable and easy to listen to.

By Lindea Y

Sep 11, 2015

A very interesting course. Only negative thing is that some of the authors are not very good at leading a lecture, and seem to stumble in their words a lot.