Back to How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics by University of Virginia

An introduction to physics in the context of everyday objects....

C

Oct 28, 2018

The course was simple and easy to follow! I enjoyed Professor Bloomfield's teaching very much! I definitely would recommend it for anyone who is curious about the basic principles of science!

WY

Jun 22, 2017

Great introduction to Physics. I use the concepts taught in this course frequently in everyday life. Professor Bloomfield explains concepts very clearly without getting overly mathematical.

226 - 250 of 254 Reviews for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

By Lex

Dec 31, 2015

This course was very informative and I loved how enthusiastically everything was presented but one thing that put me off was the length of the videos. I understand that you need to cover all the information but when I look at an upcoming video that is 30 minutes long, I don't feel as encouraged to start it. Maybe if you could separate those type of videos into smaller sections of 5-10 minute videos.

Another thing that bothered me was when I took a quiz and got something wrong but couldn't figure out why because it doesn't have an explanation and I didn't know which video to watch. Maybe they should give the video name and start time of explanation (e.g. How Would a Ball Fall on the Moon? (5:36)). If they did that, it would be easier to find an explanation to a question.

By Elias M

Oct 04, 2017

A very clear, and well thought out course. I am brand new to physics and this was a fantastic way to get started. It walked me through information carefully, and I never felt lost or confused at any time. The questions and quizzes were well timed and relevant to the content, and really helped solidify information.

The only negative I can mention are some small issues with production, particularly with sound editing, but considering this was a volunteer operation and not part of a full time job I think it is perfectly forgivable.

The teacher clearly knows his stuff and is a really fun instructor, I thoroughly enjoyed this course and hope to see more of his work in the future!

By Iris v S

Nov 17, 2015

Best physics teacher I ever had!

By Ng W L

Oct 11, 2015

It is good that the professor was able to connect physical laws to day-to-day events and phenomena and help laymen like myself understand them through simple, less technical explanations.

However, it would be better if the questions in the quizzes can be explained after attempts. Though I could retake the tests, sometimes, it is through sheer trial and error that I got some answers correct. In this way, true learning is not achieved.

It would be good if the answers to the quizzes could be re-explained with parts of the lesson vides to draw the links. Sometimes, that link is not obvious. It is not immediately clear which part of the lesson pertained to which quiz questions and that made reviewing the lessons after getting answers wrong not helpful.

I speak from a perspective of a student who has not taken physics since 14th grade.

By vincent l

Sep 23, 2016

this course brings to me a explanatory answers to the ordinary physical works surrounding us, i can say that is a fundamental stuff for beginner who love physics. It's naturally good.

By Hamza E H

Feb 18, 2016

verry good

By Caio V D L

Aug 17, 2016

Muito bom em passar qualitativamente conceitos da mecânica newtoniana!

By Jonathan G

Mar 13, 2018

Fascinating course. However I wouldn't have the brains to do advanced physics you need a math brain for that.

By anas m r

Apr 02, 2016

Great begining for physics

By Joan E F

Sep 01, 2015

Interesting material

By gerardomitma

Jan 26, 2016

Es un curso teorico muy bueno.

By Meaghan L P

Jun 20, 2016

Great course! The instructor is funny and engaging.

One major disappointment is that the graded assignments are inaccessible unless you pay to earn a verified certificate. I do not like the idea of being forced to provide an ID and set up a webcam. That should be optional for those who want a certificate and not penalize those who are taking it just for the enjoyment of learning. I am only allowed to access the videos.

By Yogesh K B

Apr 08, 2018

Awesome course, very intuitive and practical lessons from professor Lou made me understand the concepts really good

By Julie C

Jul 01, 2018

I think this is a very good introductory class for physics. The explanations are clear, detailed, and examples shown in the videos are very useful. I genuinely recommend this class. However, one thing that must be improved: after each quizzes, there are no correct answers or explanations given. One only knows which question was correct, without the details of which answers was accurate and why. This caused me troubles in understanding some parts of the class that I did not understand at first: I had hoped that a correction of the quizzes would be given to truly master the contents of the class, but it was not the case, and it is something that would have tremendously helped me.

By Mohamed R M

Feb 05, 2018

The course is very helpful but the videos is tall .

By Mārtiņš S

Feb 09, 2018

The course was really useful to understand how exactly works already learned physics laws. This was not only about calculations but overall understanding, too.

One thing - often many parts in videos were too extended for quite easy understandable things

By Gelcimar d S A

Aug 04, 2019

As avaliações deveriam ter tradução

By Kinusan D S

May 07, 2019

Good, entertaining course

By Александрова А Н

Nov 10, 2019

К сожалению, не смогла насладиться курсом в полной мере из-за его некоторой несвоевременности в контексте моего образования. Даже если он промаркирован как "продвинутый уровень", то всё равно стоило чуть больше ознакомиться с предлагаемым материалом и понять, что это всё уже было услышано не один раз и даже не два. Но порой повторение -- это тоже неплохая вещь. Думаю, что для школьника 9-10 класса, что только впервые знакомится с классической механикой курс будет крайне полезен и интересен. Либо для студентов первых курсов технических(ну и, вообще говоря, любых) вузов, что хотят больше поговорить о сути вещей, нежели об интегрировании. Также предостерегу надеющихся на русские субтитры -- они хороши только на первых двух видео, а далее переходят в "енот палка копать", так что пришлось перейти на английскую версию.

By Anthony D

Jan 17, 2019

Great, challenging material. I paid for a certificate and received a B in the course. My only complaint is the forums were empty. I wish there was a lot more active people on the forums. It would have helped.

By Jon M

Apr 22, 2018

It was fun material to learn, but this course lacks the mathematical understanding to complement the conceptual that should exist in physics. Some of the problems on the quizzes were unclear, but not in the sense that they were tricky. More so, the reader likely had no clear idea as to what the question was asking. Nevertheless, Professor Bloomfield put a good effort into the course and it had its fun moments.

By 吴秀森

Nov 15, 2016

I am from China.I think the courses is easy for a senior high school students. The vidio is too long.it is better to make it short.At all,thank you for your wonderful teaching!

By Maymoonah B O

Nov 22, 2018

the problem is that you have to pay to submit quizzes otherwise it is very good.

By Michael F

Jan 24, 2018

Unable to review fully as I am not going to finish this course at this time. Need something with a little more depth.

By Chantal