Back to How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics by University of Virginia

An introduction to physics in the context of everyday objects....

AV
May 9, 2020

It is a fabulous course.During the Entire Course I feel A Great Enthusiasm in my own.I loved this course..Thanks to profesor Louis A. Bloomfield & University of Virginia For there great contribution.

HR

Excellent Course for someone who seeks to learn Physics and its applications. Professor Bloomfield is Exceptional as he explains concepts with practical examples. Definitely a highly worthy course!!!

51 - 75 of 673 Reviews for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

By Tami M

Nov 19, 2017

This course is glorious. I never thought my mind could understand physics because throughout school, it was just esoteric. I had MANY questions about theories and their application, but felt like my questions were stupid and clearly I just wasn't cut out for the subject. But now to have those misunderstandings cleared up, to have my eyes opened to physics in my daily world, to get to grips with physics sans formulae - it's almost magical. A very, very masterful crafted course as well - thought-provoking questions, structuring the modules themselves around key, practical questions, the physical illustrations - it's great. Thank you!

By Maryann X

Jul 24, 2020

I did poorly in my AP Physics class in high school and thought that I would never be able to understand physics. After taking Professor Bloomfield's class, however, I was properly introduced to the wonderful world of physics and began to truly appreciate the subject. Instead of reciting formulas and learning theories, this class teaches you concepts applicable to everything around you. Professor Bloomfield is an exceptional professor who constantly keeps you engaged and entertained in class while imparting you with knowledge that you'll carry with you wherever you go.

By Shaurya R

Jul 6, 2020

Professor Louis . A Bloomfield is a very enthusiastic and funny teacher. I love and appreciate his hard work and find his teachings very useful and understandable. He is a very fabulous and fantastic physics professor I enjoyed watching his videos and learned a lot. I could connect very easily with him. Really you are a wonderful teacher/professor. Don't have enough words to describe how much I enjoyed your videos. I am looking forward to continuing with season 2 of How Things Work.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS FANTASTIC COURSE, SIR!

By Dr. S S R

Apr 8, 2020

I would like to recommend the course to anyone who want to understand the world around us. It will definitely change the way you see world around you. The magic is you do not need any math proficiency. One more thing which is commendable is amount of effort the Prof. has made to design the questions. Kudos to Prof. Bloomfield for all the effort he has made to make physics accessible to everyone. One thing I want to suggest is to use more universal terminologies and not limited to people of American origin. Waiting for season 2 :)

By Christian B

Apr 12, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed taking this course. As a hands-on, technical trades type learner, this class was like spending some time wandering around the hardware store of science. I don't know how to use all of the tools yet, but I feel that this class was a perfect, accessible way of learning about what tools are out there! It has definitely inspired me to continue pursuing knowledge in physics, and I would love to see How Things Work: Part 2. Thank you Lou Bloomfield, for the work you put into this class. It was a pleasure!

By Jeannette J

This course was really amazing. I've always wanted to learn physics, but it is an intimidating subject. I only got 30% on the pre-exam. Some concepts were easier than others to grasp. For some reason, friction and momentum were much easier than the other parts for me. The visual examples really helped solidify my understanding of the concepts, and I liked the real-world applications. I managed to get a 97% on the final exam. That is a testament that the training was successful.

By Kianti S

Aug 10, 2020

One of the best courses I've ever taken! Professor Louis A. Bloomfield really did a great job in simplifying all of the concepts without sacrificing all of its important aspects. His effort relly shows through out the whole course. His enthusiasm and the way he showcased each concept through actual objects really made it easier for me to understand and retain the informations. I will recommend this course for anyone who wants gain a solid foundation of basic knowledge on Physics.

By Lovina N

Jul 30, 2020

I am kind of a run from numbers person. And in school most of the physics we learnt included a considerable amount of calculations. But this course brought back my curiosity for the subject... And all the credit goes to Prof. Bloomfield. He made these seemingly scary concepts unbelievably easier through his evident love for teaching. I have stopped so many times to share some parts with my friends. It was an amazing experience to learn here. Will definitely take a part 2 class!

By SRINIDHI R

Oct 25, 2017

This course was an amazing learning experience. It was definitely easy for me as I already am pursuing my undergrad in Physics. I did this since my syllabus lacked mechanics. The course is highly practical and visual, so you perfectly understand concepts, and you'll never forget them.

Regardless of what you study in college or use at work, I'd recommend anyone to take this up because not only was it fun, but it is important that we know How Things Work around us!

By Cassie G

Aug 2, 2020

Louis makes this course enjoyable and understandable. He explains things in easy to understand terms, uses a variety of demonstrations that effectively illustrate the processes he is verbally explaining, and it is never boring listening to him talk. He's very expressive and animated, which I appreciate greatly. Louis: thank you so much for offering this (FULL) course on coursera.com! I learned a lot and did not break my bank account, which was awesome :)

By Ararat R A

Sep 6, 2020

This is extraordinary and brilliant course. I love this course very much and this is one of my most favourite courses. I learned so many things from this course. It taught me how and why objects near us work and the basic subjects of physics. I am eager for season two and want stay connected with it. It is an excellent course and it is very useful to learn physics. This course really needs more seasons to help us learn more. Thanks to professor Lou!

By umer w

Jun 20, 2020

professor lou beautifully explains the everyday physics around us. he clearly demonstrates each and every experiment and then explains it in the easiest way possible. the way he teaches makes a the learner more interested in physics and not only does this course increases ones knowledge but gives you a clear insight that how the things that we take for granted, actually works. i am thankful to coursera and professor lou for this amazing course.

By Jesús F

Oct 30, 2020

Saludos,

me ha parecido un curso muy interesante, así como didáctico y ameno.

Quiero felicitar a Louis A. Boomfield por la pasión, la claridad de exposición de ideas y la manera de transmitir sus conocimientos. Transmitía, entusiasmo y alegría.

Un honor haber podido disfrutar de sus enseñanzas

Felicitarles por la iniciativa de hacer que cualquier persona de cualquier parte del mundo tenga acceso a la cultura.

Muchas gracias,

Jesús Fuentes

By 刘蕤箫

Sep 8, 2015

The course was pretty cool. The professor is quite funny, I have to say, this series of study has been one of my most interesting experience, this course turned what seems to be mysterious physicist's word and concept in to our everyday experience, and these wonderful experience plus a little computer edit then give you a complete new feeling of study that you can't have from ordinary schools. Thank you, Louis, it's a lovely course..

By Szymon W

Aug 29, 2015

It is superb. I really enjoy classes which are explaining fundamentals of physics in interesting, entertaining, stimulating way. And these are such classes. This course gives us opportunity to understand physics by examining everyday situations, and that's why it is more comprehensible than classes at school or university.

Mr Bloomfield is doing a great, great job indeed! Many thanks for him, and all the best! Keep it up :)

By DHRUVI M P

Jul 25, 2020

A very interesting course which connects physics concepts to real life and enhances our thoughts to look around & find physics concepts in every thing. One can start to connect physics with real life and use its concepts to help/build a more simpler way of doing things. This course has made me really more curios in learing more deeply about such concepts which are all around us. A TRULY AMAZING COURSE ON BASIC PHYSICS......

By Shandelle A

Aug 5, 2020

It was interesting! I was always curious about the reasons behind of everything around me. And just like what's stated in the course's title, I was always interested in how things work but I guess I'm not that eager to know. I was too lazy to find out and satisfy my curiosities. But this course helped me a lot. This could be advanced learning for me since I have Physics on my curriculum for this incoming school year.

By Michiel K

Feb 2, 2017

Very well put together by Lou, who has an approach of child-like humour and an approachable method of teaching through the camera. There are many great examples with simple, consistent explanations that stick. If you heard the example of the figure skater spinning faster by pulling in his/her arms a million times in popular science shows but never really knew WHY that happened, this course is perfect for you.

By Pramit B

Apr 25, 2020

Loved the course. Great for beginners as well as the experienced. I am currently pursuing my engineering degree and these videos helped immensely in polishing my physics knowledge and gave me a more intuitive feel of physics as compared to normal university physics which focuses more on equations and calculations. All examples were well thought out and were very relatable. I just can't wait for season 2 :)

By NIMIT B

I recommend this course to everyone. This course gives us the feel of physics rather than asking us to cram concepts like we are asked to do in school. You will appreciate the beauty of physics once you are done with this course. This course also relies on application-based problems to check our understanding. I hope Coursera produces another course with the faculty so enrich our understanding of Physics

By Will C

Nov 17, 2020

I went from 0 knowledge of Physics, to feeling very confident in the concepts of Physics and excited to enter college and apply my knowledge in the classroom. The course is done very well and is easy to follow along to. Professor Bloomfield is very charismatic and energetic which keeps the energy high throughout the various lessons! This is a must if you would like to improve your knowledge of Physics!

By Madeline M

May 2, 2020

This is a wonderful and worthwhile course. Lou's teaching of physics is accessible and relevant, not to mention educational. I was impressed with the degree to which my own understanding of basic mechanics increased. When I took physics as a high school and university student I really struggled to develop an intuitive sense for how things work. This course did an excellent job of just that. Thanks Lou!

By Nguyen C T G

Jan 28, 2020

To be honest, it took me some "years" to finish this course. I did enjoy it, then left it, forgot it, then came back with lack of passion and eager, the suddenly the "Seesaw" pull me back to to track. Finally, something has been started and completed. Thank you, professor, your passion and inspiring videos are the sweetest of this course. Some moments in your videos made me crazily laugh. :v

By Anna R T

Jul 22, 2020

It's been a very instructive and understanding course. I like how professor Bloomfield explains physics. It's quite easy to understand for someone who's never studied physics.

And the tests are much better than in other courses, where you have to memorize facts and watch the videos again to find the correct answer. Here you have to understand what you're learning in order to pass the tests.

By Alexandre G

Mar 2, 2019

'How Things Work' is undoubtedly the best introductory physics course I have ever taken. Professor Bloomfield makes physics so much fun to study and motivates students with his empathy. As I'm a physics teacher myself, I intend to enhance my classes with this revolutionary way of teaching, by using everyday examples to maximize students learning. Thank you very much professor Lou!!! =]