Back to How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics by University of Virginia

An introduction to physics in the context of everyday objects....

C

Oct 28, 2018

The course was simple and easy to follow! I enjoyed Professor Bloomfield's teaching very much! I definitely would recommend it for anyone who is curious about the basic principles of science!

WY

Jun 22, 2017

Great introduction to Physics. I use the concepts taught in this course frequently in everyday life. Professor Bloomfield explains concepts very clearly without getting overly mathematical.

201 - 225 of 254 Reviews for How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics

By Esther M

Jul 23, 2018

The instructor does a great job of explaining physical concepts without using much math. It allows the student to learn how things work without getting side-tracked by math issues. It's a good course. Easy to understand, but not simplistic.

By Michelle Y

Apr 17, 2019

Great

By Arnav D

Apr 26, 2019

By Kimberly L

Apr 16, 2019

Lou was great! He really broke things down so you could understand them and have fantastic visual aides.

By sawsan3

Jun 30, 2019

awesome ! Great and simple !

By Victoria

Jul 19, 2019

Great fun, I really appreciate the enthusiasm and engaging teaching style of Professor Bloomfield!

By Manmohini M T

Aug 01, 2019

I loved this course and specially the enthusiasm and energy with which Mr.Lou conveyed the videos. It was a little challenging at first but, thank you for simplifying physics. I am a total Physics person now.Also, is it possible to share Mr.Lou''s email ID? Thanks

By MOK S W

Jun 05, 2019

I really appreciate the daily examples that Professor Bloomfield uses for explanation, which make the course interesting and easy to follow.

By Nora D

Jun 06, 2019

Very well presented and easy to understand with the right amount of work to support the taught concepts.

By Shiyan L

Jun 09, 2019

It's been very helpful, and it didn't take much time to finish. Although I think some answers to the questions asked in the videos are a bit confusing (I believe some questions have multiple correct answers and some I can't see clearly the connection between them and the course, better with more explanation...), the course is overall high-qualified and well arranged. Thank you!

By Dwayne " J

Aug 08, 2019

Great for Physics starters

By Chloe E

Aug 10, 2019

Best course I ever took. Loved the videos learned a ton.

By Sylvia Q

Sep 07, 2019

Really enjoyed this course! I'm in my 50s and just started exploring courses in my spare time for fun. Physics in my high school was poorly taught, so when I saw this course's reviews, including several thumbs up from other grateful physics teachers, I gave it a go - and promptly got hooked. Bloomfield is wonderfully animated and clear, his demonstrations are illuminating and frequently humorous (how often do you find THAT in a course!), and his lessons explain the mechanics of things we observe every day without going into overly advanced, technical discussions. Highly recommend!

By Kate M D

Sep 06, 2019

Very fun and easy to understand even if you're not a big physics geek.

By SALEEM I H

Dec 18, 2018

the teaching style is fantastic

By Leila W

Apr 25, 2017

I really liked your course. One thing that I think would be great is that if you could add questions on the video about the definition of a term, by opposing it with another term. Example: Weight vs Force, or Net Force vs Frictional force.

By Marwa M

Sep 10, 2015

Highly informative in a simple manner

By Marko S

May 01, 2017

Good course when you want to get to know some basic mechanical physics. Examples are real world scenarios which makes everything much more relatable and exciting.

Course has very little math in it so it's easier to follow for beginners. But if you want some math exercises and examples then you need to find some other course/book to help you.

I think Louis hasn't visited the page for a while, because he hasn't given any comments in discussion forum for a while. There's some activity in the forum by community, but not the author of the course.

By Emmanuel O B

Sep 26, 2015

Accessible to almost anyone! with a functioning intellect.

By Marcy N

May 02, 2016

This course is excellent, mostly because its professor, Louis Bloomfield knows how to both entertain and teach to people who are not at all expert scientists or mathematicians. It's a lively class that keeps you engaged with his irreverent pedagogy. I do wish it would continue, however, so that I could have some lessons to accompany the rest of his text book!

By guy s

Aug 27, 2015

The course is very practical, and gives many great every-day tools for understanding how things work. Nevertheless, I feel it lacks mathematical references. For example, I would like to see proofs, examples with actual numbers and etc.

By Andrea H D A

Aug 15, 2015

Really cool course, explaining some basic physics ruling everyday life

By Julie C

Jul 01, 2018

I think this is a very good introductory class for physics. The explanations are clear, detailed, and examples shown in the videos are very useful. I genuinely recommend this class. However, one thing that must be improved: after each quizzes, there are no correct answers or explanations given. One only knows which question was correct, without the details of which answers was accurate and why. This caused me troubles in understanding some parts of the class that I did not understand at first: I had hoped that a correction of the quizzes would be given to truly master the contents of the class, but it was not the case, and it is something that would have tremendously helped me.