Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

DN

Aug 31, 2020

This is a great survey course about Indigenous Canada. As a participant, I have learned and unlearned so much about Indigenous Canadians, and more important, this course has inspired me to learn more.

JB

Jan 22, 2018

Excellent course that provides a great foundation for learning about Indigenous cultures and worldviews. Provides thoughtful topics to explore and insightful knowledge. I highly recommend this course!

801 - 825 of 1,742 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Bernie S

Aug 12, 2020

There is so much information in this course it brings up so many more questions and the curiosity to learn more. Thank you for making this free and available.

By Janilee P

Jul 02, 2020

Informative and engaging. All Canadians need to be informed of the history and issues illuminated in this course. This has sparked my curiosity. Thank you!

By Sheryl W

Jun 03, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It was well organized and incredibly informative. I think that all Canadians would benefit from the contents of this course.

By Ifeyinwa E

Oct 01, 2018

It is really a rich course that gives you intoductory insights into the history and present day circumstances of the Indigenous people of Canada. I loved it!

By Scott D

Oct 25, 2020

The presenters were all really great and easy to listen to. The guest speakers were a solid contribution to an enjoyable experience. Thanks to all involved!

By Siok L

Oct 09, 2020

I have thoroughly enjoyed the course and learnt much from it. It is very informative and provides a good start to understanding more of indigenous Canada.

By Maria G

Sep 03, 2020

I found this course to be very educational. What I learned in school about indigenous culture was essentially nonexistent. Thanks for making this available.

By Pamela A

Jul 29, 2020

Excellent delivery of well put together content that covers a lot of ground in the 12 modules. I really enjoyed the teachings and learned a lot, thank you!

By Sasha A

Jul 18, 2020

I found this course very informative. I appreciated the use of interviews to capture the sentiment of indigenous peoples in their own words and experiences.

By kate m

Jul 29, 2019

I can't recommend this course highly enough. So much good information that was new to me. The instructors were excellent and the lectures were engrossing.

By Melinda G

Aug 22, 2018

I wish I had learned all this in school! Highly highly recommended; every person, but especially people of settler descent will gain value from this course.

By Shannon S

Oct 08, 2020

I have taken several Indigenous courses and this has to be one of the best. I like the lectures, the Art, the format and notes. Thanks, I learned a lot..

By Michelle P

Sep 17, 2020

Every Canadian citizen should have to complete this course. What an incredible wealth of knowledge. It has changed me as a Canadian citizen and as a human.

By Melanie O

May 04, 2020

I learned so much. The topics were thoughtfully created and were easy to follow. I took so many wonderful notes, and I appreciated all that I have learned.

By Jennifer W

Jun 11, 2018

Excellent! This course offers a beautiful knowledge base! Should be taken by anyone of non-Indigenous heritage that works with the public, in any capacity.

By Brian R

Oct 09, 2020

So much information. Things I did not know. Alarming way we treated Aboriginal peoples and how we seem to continue down that path. Shameful government.

By Andrea

Aug 27, 2020

Very informative, in-depth, covers a variety of topics. I learned so much, thank you to the faculty and teachers and artists who put this course together!

By Jan P

Aug 25, 2020

I found it informative and insightful. i'm so glad i did this and i will look for other opportunities to learn more on this and other subjects. Thank you!

By Mingxin L

Jun 27, 2020

It is very helpful to acknowledge the history and present situation of Canadian Indigenous. Thanks to the researcher and scholar who are concern about it.

By Robert W

Oct 13, 2020

I am not a young man but have had a my beliefs challenged and questioned which needed for growth

I am greatfull that seeds have been planted

Meegwetch

By Ramona F

Oct 19, 2020

Very informative and an excellent primer for this topic. Course material was profound and easily understood and beautifully presented. Highly recommend.

By Kate C

Sep 14, 2020

Really well done course. It has given me a great jumping off point and I learnt so much. I recommend all people who live in Canada should do this course

By Ileana G

Aug 14, 2020

Loved the pace of the class, the videos and the art presented. Thank you for the opportunity to learn about indigenous history, traditions, art and more

By Isabel

Excellent !! Very interesting . I think it should be more often remembered what happened to these cultures. I particularly enjoyed the last week module.

By Amanda F

Mar 23, 2020

Fantastic course, extremely well-written and articulated by video presenters. Dr. Tracy Bear and Dr. Paul Gareau are simply brilliant. Highly recommend!