Back to Indigenous Canada

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Indigenous Canada by University of Alberta

Indigenous Canada is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the Faculty of Native Studies that explores Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada. From an Indigenous perspective, this course explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. Topics for the 12 lessons include the fur trade and other exchange relationships, land claims and environmental impacts, legal systems and rights, political conflicts and alliances, Indigenous political activism, and contemporary Indigenous life, art and its expressions....

DN

Aug 31, 2020

This is a great survey course about Indigenous Canada. As a participant, I have learned and unlearned so much about Indigenous Canadians, and more important, this course has inspired me to learn more.

JB

Jan 22, 2018

Excellent course that provides a great foundation for learning about Indigenous cultures and worldviews. Provides thoughtful topics to explore and insightful knowledge. I highly recommend this course!

176 - 200 of 1,253 Reviews for Indigenous Canada

By Heidi M

Oct 27, 2017

It was fantastic in every way. I highly recommend this course. The format and the quality of the videos and course notes were very high. The actual content was delivered in a concise but thoughtful way. I have taken previous courses on Indigenous history and learned more in this course then I have in all the others combined (including the history classes/courses from high school and university). This is really something every settler in Canada should have to take.

By Nicole M B

May 06, 2020

There is so much covered in this course. It is very thorough in a lot of different subjects affecting indigenous populations, from the past up through the present. There is a lot of content regarding the various treaties, laws, and interactions with the Canadian government, and they are particularly thorough with this material. If you are looking for a class that will give an broad introductory base in indigenous law, culture and thought, this course is for you.

By Caitlin C D

Apr 30, 2017

This course is absolutely phenomenal. I learned a great deal about a wide range of topics, such as the diversity of indigenous groups in Canada, the history of colonisation and its ongoing negative impacts on indigenous communities, and the struggles currently faced by indigenous communities and individuals.

I would recommend this course to anyone. I want to thank the course creators for sharing their knowledge and insight concerning these important topics.

By Val H

Jul 03, 2017

Excellent course! I can not say enough good things about it. I especially appreciated going through history in chronological order from and Indigenous perspective. The lectures were extremely well done, the information was concise and easy to understand. I highly recommend this course for all Alberta teachers in preparation for the new Teacher Quality Standards. The information provided will give you a solid foundation to hang all future learnings from.

By kum m o

Aug 02, 2020

learnt a lot , enjoyed the course. Thank you I will be forever be grateful to the generosity for the indigenous people for allowing me to live in your beautiful land Canada. I hear and feel your sufferings, you have been unjustly and cruelly treated, I cried for you. Please continue to be the real caretaker of the land, the air the rivers, the animals, the forest, the natural resources and all that is beautiful in This Canada.

God bless each one of you

By Nina R

A very well done course. I have learn a lot about the History of Canada from an Indigenous people's perspective and most important, I have understood and embraced way more their culture, their traditions, their sacred ways to do things and the value that they give to the land and their connection with it. Western world should learn so much about their values and their respect for the environment/land and the human soul. It's priceless. Thank you so much!

By Aurelija M

Aug 01, 2017

Fantastic course! Even though I knew quite a bit before, some passages were still incredibly moving to learn, making me angry, reading about the atrocities committed by the settlers. The materials provided were really good, the lecturers were really good. 10/10 would take this course again if I could! Would love to see more of such courses on Coursera as it's super important to learn about the history and how to become an ally, even though being European.

By SAMJAILA T

Feb 18, 2018

I am so grateful to the University of Alberta and staff member of this course "Indigenous Canada". It provides a vast knowledge on the people, history, and lives of Aboriginals in Canada which explores a distinct narrative through different forms of art, story telling, painting, interviews, and detail explanation with a great evidence and materials. I am so glad and also thankful to everyone involved in this thought provoking course. Highly recommended !

By Carmen R

Sep 21, 2020

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! This course was incredible! I am beyond grateful for it and for the information is provided me with. THANK YOU for teaching me, inspiring me to learn more, inspiring to examine my own space and for inspiring me to examine EVERYTHING when it comes to my life in Canada. I am deeply grateful. It is a great disservice that more people are not made aware of the incredible Indigenous history, culture and people. Thank you. xo

By Julio C M H

Jul 25, 2020

Although it is a "fast" course, I think that the diversity of topics gives a very complete picture of the history and contemporary socio-cultural problems of the Aboriginal peoples of Canada. Furthermore, despite the fact that they are many topics, the cross-cutting topics that guide all the sections are very good so as not to lose sight of the historical memory and the main problems with which the indigenous peoples in Canada have long had to struggle.

By Brenda D

Apr 18, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. It was nothing of which I was expecting. It opened my eyes to a lot of issues that I did not understand as I am not from an Indigenous background. I hate the stigmas that the Government has installed on us towards the Indigenous peoples, I guess it just goes to show that everyone no matter where you are from or what you have been groomed to know should always ask questions on the why's. Thank you for opening up my eyes.

By Elizabeth D

Sep 26, 2017

It was fantastic. Challenging enough for me and yet not so daunting that I couldn't do it. I felt like I might not be able to manage the course but, in fact it was very informative and easy to learn.

I liked the presenters very much and especially liked the thank you at the last lesson, because it did feel to me, after 12 weeks together that I knew the presenters. I learned a lot, it just showed me that I can go further, and I will. Thank you again.

By Tanya T

Sep 22, 2017

I really enjoyed this course, particularly that the format was video lectures as I could then hear the distinct voices of the people speaking. I very much appreciated to the stories, art work, and music incorporated into the lectures. I think this is an important topic for all Canadians, and our responsibility to educate ourselves on the past. Thank you to all who participated in the creation of this course, and thank you to Coursera for offering it.

By Emma C

Aug 31, 2020

This is a really great course and I've learnt a lot from it. A few things regarding presentation and the notes could do with tidying up a bit but that didn't take away from the overall message and the amount/quality of the information that they get across. Massive thank you to everyone involved. As a non-Canadian, it has truly been an honour to get such an insight into the indigenous past, present, and future of a country that I love. Thank you.

By Beth M

Aug 30, 2020

Thoroughly enjoyed this course and learned so much! Content was accessible, well-organized, and wide-ranging. Instructors were engaging and knowledgeable. As a settler coming from an unfortunately colonial understanding of Indigenous peoples of Canada, I appreciated how much was covered in this course and especially the extensive references in the course notes that direct me to even more information. Really can't recommend this course enough!

By Anne H

Jan 18, 2018

Thank you Dr. Bear and your team for an inspirational course. I have thoroughly enjoyed my travels through it and have found myself abashed over my previous unawareness to this critical situation. As a retired teacher-librarian I wish I had taken this course sooner in order to assist my thousands of students in their knowledge of Canada's Indigenous peoples. Your information has inspired me to continue in my quest for learning in this area.

By C B

Aug 27, 2020

This course was really well done and certainly stimulates thought, discussion, and a desire to learn more in certain areas. Thank you!

My one constructive suggestion would be to minimize the number of quiz questions that are written in the negative form. They make the questions very confusing and rather than test knowledge, they test the ability of the learner to manipulate the question, information and the choices into a negative form.

By Eun K ( C

Jul 10, 2020

Thank you for the well-organized informative course about Indigenous Canada. Although it was a short course, I learned a lot about the culture and history of Indigenous peoples in Canada. The course helped me gaining a better understanding about the Indigenous people and with the enhanced understanding through this course, I am confident that I would be able to connect and relate better with the Indigenous people I come across. Thank you.

By Abigail E

Mar 25, 2020

This course was very informative. Not only did it give an overview of historical and current beliefs of the Indigenous communities, it also outlined some of the contemporary issues related to Indigenous life. I was grateful to gain a new perspective and it stripped away many of the racial and stereotypical views of western culture. I will be happy to share my new knowledge and advocate for Indigenous challenges and truths in my own life.

By PATRICIA D

Sep 18, 2020

This was an excellent course that explained what the Indegenous Canada nations had to endure when the settlers arrived and included many political and social hardships they have had to suffer. It was humbling to learn so much about these wonderful people who have been so important to the history of Canada and the solidarity they have with each community and each other is remarkable I highly recommend this extremely important course.

By Kathleen B

Jan 17, 2020

This is an incredible course for everyone! I learned so much and am inspired to learn more about the Indigenous people in my local area and throughout Canada and the rest of the world. I loved how much they spoke to the resiliency and adaptability of Indigenous people and looked at a diversity of nations and their beliefs, customs, and experiences from long ago up to modern times. I only wish there were more lessons! Thank you so much!

By Charmaine N

Aug 14, 2020

This is an excellent course! I learned a lot about Indigenous people in Canada, and also grew in my empathy and compassion towards them. I will bring these new understandings (both knowledge and awareness) to my elementary school classrooms in my role as a teacher, and in my life -- as a more compassionate, knowledgeable human being. Thank you for your hard work in designing and delivering this interesting and enlightening course!

By Colleen T

Jun 03, 2020

This is a very well put together course compared to a similar course I also took through Coursera. Notes are provided for each module that very closely replicate the dialogue in the videos which makes it easy to follow along and hilight key points. I have already found myself referencing back to these course notes even after finishing the course. I paid the fee to earn a certificate and would highly recommend this course to others.

By Kameron K

Nov 24, 2018

This course is an amazing experience and a great start towards educating yourself about the lives of Indigenous Peoples in Canada. I can't recommend it enough to anyone who seeks to work towards reconciliation by furthering their understanding of the struggles, successes, and beauty of First Nations, Inuit, and Metis people in Canada and the incredibly distinct and diverse cultures that have occupied this land since time immemorial.

By Vanessa A

Aug 11, 2020

The course is very high level but incredibly informative nonetheless, and it has sparked many opportunities for further self-directed learning. It’s also been a good way to buffer my knowledge of Canadian colonialist history with an Indigenous perspective from Indigenous instructors. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to begin or expand their own personal learning about the Indigenous experience in Canada.