Back to An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1) by Rice University

This two-part course is designed to help students with very little or no computing background learn the basics of building simple interactive applications. Our language of choice, Python, is an easy-to learn, high-level computer language that is used in many of the computational courses offered on Coursera. To make learning Python easy, we have developed a new browser-based programming environment that makes developing interactive applications in Python simple. These applications will involve windows whose contents are graphical and respond to buttons, the keyboard and the mouse. In part 1 of this course, we will introduce the basic elements of programming (such as expressions, conditionals, and functions) and then use these elements to create simple interactive applications such as a digital stopwatch. Part 1 of this class will culminate in building a version of the classic arcade game "Pong"....

CD

Jul 13, 2017

It was nice beginner course for the new programming to learn programming and practice the concepts with most intuitive way, the way is to build a game and that interests anyone who takes this course.

JT

Oct 09, 2018

A great intro that puts the topic into achievable steps! I have a mechanical engineering background and I found it to be straightforward. The professors do a good job of making it fun and enjoyable.

626 - 650 of 666 Reviews for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1)

By Shubham M

Jun 29, 2017

It was a nice experience , Going through this coarse is really helpful.

By sai a k m

May 10, 2016

Clear guideline to follow and lots of resources to troubleshoot obstacles. Great course for the most basics beginner programmer like me.

By Roy H

Jan 04, 2017

While this is a great course for introductory programming, I believe that it suffers from its focus on cokeskultpor UI design. The main issue I have with it is that these skills are not easily transferred to real world applications. I think some time spent on a basic introduction to tkinter would be good to help get people started on how to make their own programs.

I found that the grading rubrick in particular focused too much on simple UI elements and not enough on making sure that the code was good or that the game even worked. For example, I had one person who had everything in pong perfect except that the score was added when the ball hit the paddle. This meant that the game as whole did not work as expected, but it only cost him 2 marks.

By Mark C H

May 24, 2016

Good projects. The videos were a little too focused on watching someone code rather than instructional however.

By Travis N

Apr 25, 2016

The team of profs is great to listen to, even for hours on-end if/when going through several lectures per go...

They have really worked through the online presentation of this software engineering 101 course to eliminate bugs, streamline its effectivity, and generally make it enjoyable for technical and laypersons alike.

Kudos Team Rice!

Jul 23, 2017

Great excellent course especially for previously exposed learner to programming

By Luo K A

Jun 24, 2017

Great introduction course.

However, the use of codeskulptor may be limiting for students who want to grow to become python users. A more generalised program may be better for students to grow outside of codeskulptor.

By Tyr

Dec 09, 2016

Too much of a difficulty jump

By Akhilesh G

Jul 04, 2017

Good course

By 曾力

Jun 22, 2017

老师教学方式有趣,可以让人容易听进去,知识点有点少

By Young

Mar 07, 2017

The assignment grader is not good enough

By Satyam P S

Jun 08, 2016

Great!!

By Karan J

Jul 14, 2017

The programs are amazing but I expected to program on an actual IDE. I didn't like the cloud based IDE.

The content of the course is very good and the faculty is very nice. They make this course a fun and learning experience.

By 周可人

May 28, 2017

Very interesting course of Python!

Students only codes at CodeSkulptor. But I hope this course can recommend some code editors and IDEs and also teaches us how to use them.

By Sanjay S D

May 26, 2016

The course is excellent!

By Martha

Jun 25, 2018

This course was pretty darn good. I could have used some help on the last two assignments. This portion of the class

By Brian T

Feb 10, 2018

This class is fun and gets you moving pretty quickly. I think a little python or programming experience before beginning would probably be helpful, but not completely necessary.

By Abhishek K

Aug 31, 2017

This is a great course to build a strong foundation in python programming.Best thing about the course is that it exposes you to GUI programming and we are given assignments where we have to build games.I never had any prior experience in GUI programming before,so this course was an amazing way to learn python and GUI development

By Vivek K

Mar 15, 2018

Thank you for this wonderful tutorial. I would have given it a five star rating if at the end of the course there would have been just one more week to teach us how to use all of the skills we have gathered here on an actual python compiler used in the industry.otherwise really grateful for this series

By Hubert J

Sep 19, 2017

The course is well structured but goes very (too?) fast... I spent so much more hours than indicated to do the practice exercises and the mini projects. Difficult to manage if you have a full time job

By Ch.NaveenKumar

Jul 01, 2016

none

By Gonzalo E

Apr 12, 2018

Very good course for beginners. Funny & entertaining.

By caifangfang

Nov 16, 2016

interesting and not too easy

By Moseli M

Jun 27, 2016

its practical and understandable

By Carlos S L

Dec 20, 2016

The cpurse is for someone who eants pure programing, in my case i want python for predictive procedures.