Back to An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1) by Rice University

This two-part course is designed to help students with very little or no computing background learn the basics of building simple interactive applications. Our language of choice, Python, is an easy-to learn, high-level computer language that is used in many of the computational courses offered on Coursera. To make learning Python easy, we have developed a new browser-based programming environment that makes developing interactive applications in Python simple. These applications will involve windows whose contents are graphical and respond to buttons, the keyboard and the mouse. In part 1 of this course, we will introduce the basic elements of programming (such as expressions, conditionals, and functions) and then use these elements to create simple interactive applications such as a digital stopwatch. Part 1 of this class will culminate in building a version of the classic arcade game "Pong"....

CD

Jul 13, 2017

It was nice beginner course for the new programming to learn programming and practice the concepts with most intuitive way, the way is to build a game and that interests anyone who takes this course.

JT

Oct 09, 2018

A great intro that puts the topic into achievable steps! I have a mechanical engineering background and I found it to be straightforward. The professors do a good job of making it fun and enjoyable.

601 - 625 of 670 Reviews for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1)

By Qianfang D

Sep 29, 2019

I learned a lot from this course!!!!! thank you !

By Kate M D

Sep 06, 2019

Easy-to-follow videos and fun exercises!

By Harish K T

Sep 07, 2019

Very Good Start for a beginner in python.

By Muhammad Z H

Oct 02, 2019

Thanks Professor

By Steven K

Oct 03, 2019

A really good course that helped me learn Python way faster than I thought I would be able to. It was cool that all the weekly projects were games (though Stopwatch barely counts) since it really encouraged me to do the requirements quickly and then have some fun making QOL improvements and adding flourishes. Probably would not have been as inspired to go above and beyond with other projects.

Throughout the course, I was unsure why Vis Mode was shown off so much; it did not seem particularly useful.

By Bockelmann, G

Sep 13, 2019

The course was very nice. It started from zero knowledge and the learning curve was good. It is highly recommendable.

By Viktor K

Oct 08, 2019

It was fun and useful

By mube n j r

Sep 23, 2019

great!

By david l m

Oct 28, 2019

the teachers are great! very easy to understand for beginners. Thanks

By Jinwoong K

Dec 30, 2018

This course should be updated with Python 3

By Christopher W S

Dec 18, 2018

Overall a good course. However, it uses Python 2 verse Python 3. It uses CodeSkultper, and CodeSkulpter does not have all of the Python Modules incorporated, and in some Modules it does support not all of the commands . Another thing that I wished this course would have taught was how to use either Kivy, TKinter or PyQT for grahics since CodeSkulpter only works if you have web access

By Elizabeth S

Jan 07, 2019

Would be great if there was also more guidance on making good code guidelines (like don't repeat yourself, etc.)

By marie c

Mar 14, 2019

INSTRUSTING EVEN IF IT TAKES PLENTY OF TIME TO COMPLITE. A LACK OF FOLLOW UP ESPACIALLY ON THE ASSIGNEMENTS FOR WICH WE DON

By Kate W

Feb 19, 2019

Overall, very well done. The only time I struggled was with some of the math as it has been two decades since I've had to do algebra or calculus. I wish the instructors went a *little* more into the math logic behind the code for those of us who are out of practice in that area. Otherwise, fantastic course!

By Travis N

Apr 25, 2016

The team of profs is great to listen to, even for hours on-end if/when going through several lectures per go...

They have really worked through the online presentation of this software engineering 101 course to eliminate bugs, streamline its effectivity, and generally make it enjoyable for technical and laypersons alike.

Kudos Team Rice!

Jul 23, 2017

Great excellent course especially for previously exposed learner to programming

By Luo K A

Jun 24, 2017

Great introduction course.

However, the use of codeskulptor may be limiting for students who want to grow to become python users. A more generalised program may be better for students to grow outside of codeskulptor.

By 周可人

May 28, 2017

Very interesting course of Python!

Students only codes at CodeSkulptor. But I hope this course can recommend some code editors and IDEs and also teaches us how to use them.

By sai a k m

May 10, 2016

Clear guideline to follow and lots of resources to troubleshoot obstacles. Great course for the most basics beginner programmer like me.

By Karan J

Jul 14, 2017

The programs are amazing but I expected to program on an actual IDE. I didn't like the cloud based IDE.

The content of the course is very good and the faculty is very nice. They make this course a fun and learning experience.

By Sanjay S D

May 26, 2016

The course is excellent!

By Brian T

Feb 10, 2018

This class is fun and gets you moving pretty quickly. I think a little python or programming experience before beginning would probably be helpful, but not completely necessary.

By Roy H

Jan 04, 2017

While this is a great course for introductory programming, I believe that it suffers from its focus on cokeskultpor UI design. The main issue I have with it is that these skills are not easily transferred to real world applications. I think some time spent on a basic introduction to tkinter would be good to help get people started on how to make their own programs.

I found that the grading rubrick in particular focused too much on simple UI elements and not enough on making sure that the code was good or that the game even worked. For example, I had one person who had everything in pong perfect except that the score was added when the ball hit the paddle. This meant that the game as whole did not work as expected, but it only cost him 2 marks.

By Mark C H

May 24, 2016

Good projects. The videos were a little too focused on watching someone code rather than instructional however.

By Satyam P S