Back to An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1)

An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1), Rice University

About this Course

This two-part course is designed to help students with very little or no computing background learn the basics of building simple interactive applications. Our language of choice, Python, is an easy-to learn, high-level computer language that is used in many of the computational courses offered on Coursera. To make learning Python easy, we have developed a new browser-based programming environment that makes developing interactive applications in Python simple. These applications will involve windows whose contents are graphical and respond to buttons, the keyboard and the mouse. In part 1 of this course, we will introduce the basic elements of programming (such as expressions, conditionals, and functions) and then use these elements to create simple interactive applications such as a digital stopwatch. Part 1 of this class will culminate in building a version of the classic arcade game "Pong"....

By CD

Jul 13, 2017

It was nice beginner course for the new programming to learn programming and practice the concepts with most intuitive way, the way is to build a game and that interests anyone who takes this course.

By JT

Oct 09, 2018

A great intro that puts the topic into achievable steps! I have a mechanical engineering background and I found it to be straightforward. The professors do a good job of making it fun and enjoyable.

630 Reviews

By SuperAlloy

May 17, 2019

A great introduction course of python programming for beginners. Both the optional practices and the quiz are well designed to help me review what I've learned. I learned a lot and enjoy a lot in the mini-project in each week, though I got stuck many times in debugging the code. And the instructors are humorous, which makes the class more enjoyable.

By Jefte de Lima Ferreira

May 16, 2019

Excelent

By Paramjot Singh

May 07, 2019

Wonderful course to get you started with problem solving using python. Very engaging content as well as instructors. Thanks a ton!

By Judy Sung

May 06, 2019

as a starter and never write programming before, it is quite tough. I wrote in to ask question, but reply is quite general to ask me to re-go thru video or document. Definitely i did not get it or understand it, thus ask the question but the reply is ask me to read the book again.. something like that. Is this a good answer?

I hope the respond can be more specific. Other then the reply, i quiite enjoy it and like the way it structure the programming. At time, i am very struggle and forum reply can be quite technical to me. But so far, i manage to get thru. I spent more than 10 hours to do the mini project.... hahaha..

I thought this program is no min skill requirement, right?

By 陈妍妤

May 04, 2019

very good very useful! very warm teachers!

By 唐豪

May 02, 2019

very good course!

By Hung Nguyen

Apr 27, 2019

Each sections has many examples that can help student easy to understand then practice immediately. I'm happy to know a new language and improved my coding knowledge after completing this course

By Song Sophie

Apr 17, 2019

It is pretty interesting, especially those mini-projects. I learned a lot from the courses. However, it is a pity that it dose not use Python3. What is worse, the courses are based on Simplegui, which can only be used on the website. This means I cannot use an IDLE or something like that to finish the mini-projects, and also it seems useless without the website.

By Rami mohammed

Apr 15, 2019

GOOD

By Matteo Pidalà

Apr 12, 2019

Very good approach...Maybe to much mathematics things on programming language. I would prefer some cases and algorithms referring to "normal life". and... I don't agree 100% with the choice to use only codeskulptor. in particularly program graphic interface I would prefer to use standard graphic python library.