Back to Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming by The University of Edinburgh

Have you ever wished you knew how to program, but had no idea where to start from? This course will teach you how to program in Scratch, an easy to use visual programming language. More importantly, it will introduce you to the fundamental principles of computing and it will help you think like a software engineer....

ED

Apr 05, 2016

the course is what the name says it is, an introduction to programming, great course for any code beginner. Lecturer is doing amazing job and keeping the lectures interesting, easy and understandable.

MT

Jun 04, 2020

for a total beginner in coding, this course was the perfect start! It was easy to understand, and easy to program (coding wit already?)\n\nThank you so much for offering such a wonderful way to learn!

26 - 50 of 628 Reviews for Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming

By Benedikt G

Feb 05, 2018

Great introduction to programming in very easy and understandable steps and units. Can recommend this to anyone who wants to get into programming without any prior experience and for any age group. Despite having many many students, the teachers were also extremely forthcoming and helped me with some administrative issues I had and despite some back and forth via e-mail. Great job!

By Philip C

Mar 28, 2017

This course is ideal for anyone with zero programming experience who wants to learn the basic concepts and have fun doing so. I would definitely recommend 'Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming' as an entry level course to everyone of any age who has an interest in learning how to develop. Well done to the team that put this course together.

By Michael T

Jun 04, 2020

Thank you so much for offering such a wonderful way to learn!

By Willy

Jun 08, 2020

This is a great course for anyone who is interested in programming but have zero to little programming background. I would say that this course would also be interesting for some experienced programmers.

Scratch code and interface are easy to understand. This course not only teaches about the code but also teaches how to think as a programmer such as, how to design your code or algorithm based on the software requirements, analyzing your code, doing the best practice, etc.

During the course, you will be guided by Dr Areti Manataki (If you choose the course in English). She explains everything pretty well and uses terms that easy to understand. For example by explaining code algorithm by comparing it with daily activities.

By Constantine M

May 15, 2020

The tutors were highly professional. I did not have any computer science background prior to starting the course and therefore my level of confidence and comfortability was very low. However, I must say all that quickly vanished soon after I started listening to the lectures. The tutors simplified otherwise difficult and complex tasks to become easy to understand, which gave me an eagerness to continue learning. I would want to recommend anyone who wants to pursue a tech career to start off the journey with this course. Thank you and I appreciate it.

By Anusheel C

Jul 13, 2020

A real starter course for simple programming. i, with no idea on programming, decided to try this course. this was my first coursera course. i got to say, it really is the starter. i really recommend this for people who want to program, but dont know where to start. the course is made in a very fun way. i am 10 years old and i loved this. tells you the basics of programming, teaches you programming in scratch. do this course before any other programming one. it'll seriously help you

By Monika S

Jun 04, 2020

This course is really helpful .Content is amazing and so much useful.anybody who wants to learn programming as a beginner should try this course first .Thank you for making my Lockdown so productive.

By viddhesh s

Jun 04, 2017

actually Iam a beginner in the world of coding, and i have understood the basics of coding with the help of this course.

By Ashwini J

Feb 11, 2016

very well explained and the whole course is so fun to learn !!!! and very motivating too for programming beginners....!

By Christian R

Aug 03, 2020

Good course for someone who is starting in programming.

By Rucha M

Jun 08, 2020

This course was lots of fun and I learnt a lot.

By Tan X X

Jul 30, 2020

Good if you dont have any basic knowledge of progamming.

By Ankit K

Jun 13, 2020

Maybe that's me or may be i haven't read about the course clearly but i think that the level of this course is below par. It is a childish level course probably for someone younger than 15 or 16.

By Zərbəliyeva Ş

May 12, 2020

Hello, first of all, thank you for making this course free and making a noticeable difference in the careers and education of many. And, of course, my dear teacher Dr. Areti Manataki, thank you very much for creating a very entertaining and educational environment in 5 weeks. (P.S and my dear friend Cody). In fact, as a biology student, I never thought I would be able to master such a high level of programming skills over the Internet. And I'm glad I made a mistake)) Edinburgh was my favorite university in terms of education and the team. I was thinking of studying at the University of Pavia with Erasmus Proraming, but Covid-19 may have helped me so much that I was already studying for a master's degree at the University of Edinburgh.

, specialization in Programming. Respect to everyone who suffers.

By Sabrina S

May 16, 2020

I loved this course. It's perfect for beginners to get a basic understanding of how programming works: You will learn about general concepts and basics that are essential for programming (from user documentations to iterations), you will gain an understanding of how to approach new programming projects, how to modify, test and debug programs, and so much more. And all of this new knowledge is taught to you in a playful and fun way: By writing your own little games and programs from week one! A very hands-on course. I really liked that! Also, Dr. Areti Manataki's passion for programming is highly infectious and inspiring! The course is well structured, and I can really recommend it to everyone who wants to dip a toe in the water and introduce themselves to programming :-)

By Angel N

Great course! Lessons were very well planned out in small steps for beginners and it really did introduce me to programming. For someone who has no background but interested to learn a new skill it is very informative. However it would be good to combine the videos into longer videos (ie 10 mins) instead of 1-2 mins or even like seconds as I have to keep clicking the next video. Interviews with people in the industry is very interesting as well. It would be good to learn other programming languages too as Scratch does seem like a really basic program for learning.

By Shaurya R

Jun 04, 2020

The application provided along with the course ( scratch ) is extremly helpful. Especially , the code palletes make the whole process of coding and learning enjoyable. Areti is a fantastic teacher and explained all concepts lucidly. Only improvement I can suggest is delete button on sprite can be placed prudently awayso that learners don't delete the whole code by mistake. Overall, I would recommend this course to all the learners. Thanks to the course makers and Coursera.

By Aditya K J

Jun 25, 2020

I loved this course and according to me this is the best course if you are new to programming world.I also got a certificate after completing this awesome and full of fun course and I thank the whole course team and especially Areti Mam for this and my whole journey.This course helped me in clearing my basics and created my interest in the wide field of Computer Science and programming.Thank you so much for all the marvelous stuff and valuable certificate!

By Anh T

Awesome!! It's fun and really easy to follow. Scratch is also friendly to beginners. The video presentation provides a very good flow of the basic terms while the bonus interviews give us practical insights into the real world of programmers. I have no background of computer programming. As an absolute beginner, I find it really useful and inspiring. Now I'm moving on to Python. Thank you!! Muchas gracias!!

By Baskar S

May 15, 2020

Before starting this course i was a complete beginner in coding, now i am very much clear on the basic programming. Course is well structured and starting from very basic to advanced stage. Quality of the videos were good, Instructor is clearly explaining the concept with real life examples. For any one interested in learning programming and mindset, this is the right course to begin.

By MD Z S

Jun 04, 2020

This course is all I can say an amazing course that creates a thirst for learning new programming languages after finishing this course. The course instructor is in one word fantabulous. The way she taught is totally fun and all apprentices definitely would enjoy. Thank you miss and a strongly recommended course for beginners who have zero or less idea about programming language.

By Erica P

Aug 10, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. It has wonderful step-by-step videos that get students creating fun games, and Areti (the instructor) is a terrific speaker and very informative. There are two projects that get peer-reviewed, but they were really fun to code and grade. Seeing the various ways in which other students solved the same problems were helpful in learning Scratch.

By Cierra K

Moved on from this to explore coding in HTML, Python and C++. This course is very simple and uses a simplified coding script to learn the basics for absolute beginners. It gives a solid foundation to learn about programming and coding. As a visual learner I found it especially helpful to learn via Scratch coding and thought it was a great tool to understand the basics.

By Anvithraj R B

Jun 08, 2020

I knew how to code a bit from the start, but I wanted to know more about the different aspects of programming and also learn something about software developmental procedures.

This course helped me start on the right path and now, I look forward to more programming! Thanks to the University of Edinburgh and Universidad ORT Uruguay for creating such a good course.

By Lisa

This course was informative and used a simple programming language - Scratch, to introduce us to various programming terms and software engineering practices. This would be a great course for someone who has no knowledge of programming at all. Professor Areti is enthusiastic in her teaching and I enjoyed her lessons. Thank you for this course!