Back to Introduction to Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Psychology by University of Toronto

This course will highlight the most interesting experiments within the field of psychology, discussing the implications of those studies for our understanding of the human mind and human behavior. We will explore the brain and some of the cognitive abilities it supports like memory, learning, attention, perception and consciousness. We will examine human development - both in terms of growing up and growing old - and will discuss the manner in which the behavior of others affect our own thoughts and behavior. Finally we will discuss various forms of mental illness and the treatments that are used to help those who suffer from them. The fact of the matter is that humans routinely do amazing things without appreciating how interesting they are. However, we are also routinely influenced by people and events without always being aware of those influences. By the end of this course you will have gained a much better understanding and appreciation of who you are and how you work. And I can guarantee you that you'll learn things that you'll be telling your friends and family about, things that will fundamentally change the way you think of yourself and others. How can you resist that?!...

HW

Feb 17, 2017

I loved every minute of this course! Professor Joordens was very engaging and it was set at just the right pace. I'm looking forward to my next course already! The discussion forums are very helpful.

EC

Dec 16, 2016

good course. suitable for starters. I learnt some basics and something interesting. I now can analyse some social events from the psychology point of view. I understand humanity a little bit better.

76 - 100 of 1,161 Reviews for Introduction to Psychology

By SD

Aug 16, 2018

Professor Joordens was excellent and made the course very interesting by including many real life cases and papers and reference videos related to the topic mentioned in the slide. The quizzes helped to remember and recollect the information taught and the peer graded essay was engaging as well. Overall, a great introductory course for anyone who wants to venture into the interesting subject of psychology!

By Gabriel I

Feb 28, 2018

The most amazing Psychology course for beginners. I wanted to get an in-depth, professional look at the field as I'm planning on studying it in detail, and I got a lot more than a sneak peak, but an actual course with tons of really interesting and informative information, teached by a great professor that made me fall for the Study of the Mind. Each and every one of us should take on this course! Thanks!

By Lupa B

Jul 30, 2020

This course and the content of the course was so educational and cool. I am really happy that I have completed the course. I am a student of Economics discipline and I really find the behavioral aspect of humans very intriguing and fascinating. I wanna thank our instructor Steve because he made the content very clear to me and for making the videos fun to learn. I wish him a happy and healthy life.

By Brian P

Jul 27, 2020

It was a very good course, we learned various amount of stuff on brain, psychology, etc, basically everything that its required if one wants to do future course on any type of psychology or if one wants to have knowledge on psychology in general. The lecturer made the course fun, had a good sense of humor and we didn't got bored and also everything was set very well and interesting and overall fun.

By Jodi C

Jun 25, 2020

A wonderful introduction to the study of psychology, from an excellent lecturer. Hoping everyone gains personally from the experience and shares their knowledge with family, friends and their community. We are lucky to be part of this global learning platform. Eventually, there will be peace on earth and it comes from understanding and respecting others in society. Keep positive and motivated.

By Pavithra S K

Jun 30, 2020

I didn't expect this much of experience in this course, fabulous and Awesome . No words.As well "The Best teacher" who explains and give us more knowledge about the particular topics in 15 - 20 minutes. I hope who are interested in psychology should attend this class once from their study time.it would be amazing. “Excellent sessions! Provided very valuable information for my life and my career”

By Sumit D

Jan 25, 2018

This is an ultimately comprehensive course for anybody who wants to get introduced to psychology and the basic scientific approach to psychological thoughts. It includes all the basic and important experiments and concepts to study. The best thing about this course is that it is taught by Dr Steve Jordeens who is a prolific professor in the department of psychology in the University of Toronto.

By Ganesh B

Jul 24, 2020

lucid presentation, beautiful examples, simple way of communication and expertise in teaching made this course great.Thanks to coursera as well for making this course possible and more importantly reaching it to an ordinary person like me who is not a native english speaker living a remote village in India.

Thank you professor.Thank you Coursera.

Look forword for next course from Prof Jordan.

By Soham S B

Sep 14, 2020

I was studying in Bachelors of Engg and my college gave us free subscriptions to the coursera to enroll for free courses and I found this one in the beginning, I thought it could be difficulty for me to get through this subject but the prof. Steve Jorden taught was really good and understandable, and though it was free for me but it was worth for paid ones too and recommended to my friends

By Dr. H L

Feb 15, 2020

Very interesting, good to follow - even for non-native speakers. I especially liked the many different examples and experiments that made it easy to understand the effects on our every day life. Of course, I am not an expert, but I feel that I got a good overview of psychology. So for me as an engineer, it was a very enlightening excursus into a new topic. Thank you, Prof. Steve Joordens!

By Unni K T

May 08, 2017

Excellent introduction to Psychology. The narrative is very engaging. Enjoyed every lecture in this course. It is structured so well and presented with excellent clarity that it makes extremely easy to assimilate the knowledge being imparted. The course content is highly recommended. Gives you a good insight into the way our minds work and explains a lot of things that we see around us.

By Calvin A

Mar 13, 2017

I absolutely loved every second of this course. Steve really has been a great tutor throughout the course, and really managed to kindle my interest in his field of work. The lectures are short and sweet and contain a lot more information than I would have even thought possible. I'd recomend this course to anyone who wants to learn a bit about what makes them think and act the way they do.

By Beverley N

Dec 28, 2016

I really loved this course. It was extremely interesting, Professor Joordens presentation was lively and his enthusiasm was so contagious, it pulled me along even when I was tired and rushed. The course content was stimulating and challenging, providing a very complete introduction - a great place to start. I would love to follow more courses by him and his team. Many thanks indeed.

By Mark S

Dec 15, 2016

I've given this course five stars because I've conformed to the masses and was told to rate with five stars...

Nah! Seriously though, I would recommend this course to anybody. It is brilliant and Steve Joordens explains things amazingly, the best way that somebody who is 6'3" tall can do! :)

Fantastic course. Hope there's a follow-up/advanced course as I'd be more than interested.

By Livia B W J

Sep 07, 2020

Professor Joordens made this course an experience that enriched my days and my mind. Can't tell how much I've learned about the human mind and behaviour even not been graduated in related areas. His way/method of explaining and his passion for Psychology made the difference and made this course an amazing experience. I'm excited for the next ones! Thanks professor Joordens!

By Jay S

Jul 25, 2020

The framework of the course is fantastic. I really appreciate the efforts put across for hand-picking the topics and sub-topics. Professor Steve is an excellent teacher and his virtual online classes felt no lesser than live classes. Thank you for creating this course and implementing it beautifully, which was easy to understand and connect with, even for starters like me.

By Mimi B

Sep 23, 2020

I liked Prof.Joordan’s representations and his friendly personality. In times of COVID-19, I looked forward to my daily “ sessions” with him. It’s a very intense course with many topics to cover but all of them are interesting. Wished the course would have Continued another 12 weeks...so,interesting and he presented it entertaining. Thank you for that an excellent course

By Joice H H D

Apr 05, 2017

It is a great course, with a great professor. The explanations are incredibly well given, the professor makes everything to us to understand his lessons, and gives links for more information, which are always valid and help us understand the issues with another vision, it isn't just the professor's opinions we get. I really loved this course! Cognitive Cannibal forever!!!

By Luis M

Aug 31, 2017

Exceptional. Jordan is a great teacher, really talented and incredibly didactic. He exemplifies really well every concept and the course is a useful Introduction to Psychology. Lectures are 20 mins long, so you need to be really passionate about psychology and learning because otherwise it will be boring for you. Commitment is required, it's not an easy course nor short.

By Bhupinder B

Apr 19, 2017

Thank you, Dr Steve Joordens for a wonderful experience and the warmth of your teaching. I did learn things and am hooked on learning more. The course is well structured and doing the final assignment and reviewing peer assignments, was a great way to consolidate the learning. I hope you do "mount" another course or two in the future. I for one will be eager to enrol.

By Samantha H

Aug 24, 2020

Professor Steve Joordens finds a way to teach psychology in a very interesting and captivating manner. This course covers a variety of concepts thoroughly considering there is a time limit for each topic. I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in learning about humans, social interactions, the science behind the brain and psychological experiments.

By Mary E C G

Aug 03, 2020

Fue un excelente curso, disfrute cada clase, los temas muy interesantes e importantes.Definitivamente siento que este conocimiento de psicología va a servirme mucho en mi campo laboral como maestra de secundaria, también siento que he abierto mi mente a una nueva perspectiva de como funciona nuestra mente, como controlarla y como entenderla.El instructor es el mjor.

By Yola L

Nov 28, 2017

This course kept (still keeping) my attention and interest, because the way it was given by Steve Jordan, very clear, scientific and very funny. He makes it easier to understand. It's a lot of information, but it triggers you to do your own research on the internet and books. I'm enjoying this course and it was never boring.

Thank you for your teaching skill, Steve.

By Daniel P P

Dec 20, 2016

I really enjoyed the course has been entertaining and entertaining with many practical examples to understand the psychological concepts.

The course has given me more knowledge to practice in my life and work, because I work in human resources and the psychological perspective is very important.

Steve Joordens is a great teacher, he has made this course a great job.

By Yi Z (

Jun 16, 2017

It's a great course! I would highly recommend it to those who are interested in psychology but don't have any background. The curriculum itself is very well designed. Professor Steve is inspirational and fun. I like his teaching style very much. What I learned from the course is not just psychology theories and researches but also interesting practical knowledge.