Back to Introduction to Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Psychology by University of Toronto

This course will highlight the most interesting experiments within the field of psychology, discussing the implications of those studies for our understanding of the human mind and human behavior. We will explore the brain and some of the cognitive abilities it supports like memory, learning, attention, perception and consciousness. We will examine human development - both in terms of growing up and growing old - and will discuss the manner in which the behavior of others affect our own thoughts and behavior. Finally we will discuss various forms of mental illness and the treatments that are used to help those who suffer from them. The fact of the matter is that humans routinely do amazing things without appreciating how interesting they are. However, we are also routinely influenced by people and events without always being aware of those influences. By the end of this course you will have gained a much better understanding and appreciation of who you are and how you work. And I can guarantee you that you'll learn things that you'll be telling your friends and family about, things that will fundamentally change the way you think of yourself and others. How can you resist that?!...

HW

Feb 17, 2017

I loved every minute of this course! Professor Joordens was very engaging and it was set at just the right pace. I'm looking forward to my next course already! The discussion forums are very helpful.

EC

Dec 16, 2016

good course. suitable for starters. I learnt some basics and something interesting. I now can analyse some social events from the psychology point of view. I understand humanity a little bit better.

51 - 75 of 816 Reviews for Introduction to Psychology

By Mark S

Dec 15, 2016

I've given this course five stars because I've conformed to the masses and was told to rate with five stars...

Nah! Seriously though, I would recommend this course to anybody. It is brilliant and Steve Joordens explains things amazingly, the best way that somebody who is 6'3" tall can do! :)

Fantastic course. Hope there's a follow-up/advanced course as I'd be more than interested.

By Joice H H D

Apr 05, 2017

It is a great course, with a great professor. The explanations are incredibly well given, the professor makes everything to us to understand his lessons, and gives links for more information, which are always valid and help us understand the issues with another vision, it isn't just the professor's opinions we get. I really loved this course! Cognitive Cannibal forever!!!

By Luis M

Aug 31, 2017

Exceptional. Jordan is a great teacher, really talented and incredibly didactic. He exemplifies really well every concept and the course is a useful Introduction to Psychology. Lectures are 20 mins long, so you need to be really passionate about psychology and learning because otherwise it will be boring for you. Commitment is required, it's not an easy course nor short.

By Bhupinder B

Apr 19, 2017

Thank you, Dr Steve Joordens for a wonderful experience and the warmth of your teaching. I did learn things and am hooked on learning more. The course is well structured and doing the final assignment and reviewing peer assignments, was a great way to consolidate the learning. I hope you do "mount" another course or two in the future. I for one will be eager to enrol.

By Yola L

Nov 28, 2017

This course kept (still keeping) my attention and interest, because the way it was given by Steve Jordan, very clear, scientific and very funny. He makes it easier to understand. It's a lot of information, but it triggers you to do your own research on the internet and books. I'm enjoying this course and it was never boring.

Thank you for your teaching skill, Steve.

By Daniel P P

Dec 20, 2016

I really enjoyed the course has been entertaining and entertaining with many practical examples to understand the psychological concepts.

The course has given me more knowledge to practice in my life and work, because I work in human resources and the psychological perspective is very important.

Steve Joordens is a great teacher, he has made this course a great job.

By Yi Z (

Jun 16, 2017

It's a great course! I would highly recommend it to those who are interested in psychology but don't have any background. The curriculum itself is very well designed. Professor Steve is inspirational and fun. I like his teaching style very much. What I learned from the course is not just psychology theories and researches but also interesting practical knowledge.

By Nitin B

Apr 13, 2018

What a great course I have ever found.....

Thanks to the masterclass instructor who first builds your basics about functioning of brain and then taking you into the journey of psychology.....

I am really fascinating from all those number of experiments that Prof has showed..

One of my best decision ever make to take this course.

Thumbs Up..............Guys .....!

By Yasmine A M

Jul 21, 2017

Amazing!!

This is my second time taking this course, it's loaded with information and it introduces all the branches of psychology really effectively.

Prof. Steve Joordens is wonderful! he's so passionate about what he does, and no one can get bored from listening to his lectures.

Thank you Prof.Steve and thank you coursera for giving us this great opportunity!

By Isabel V A

Mar 16, 2017

A thorough Psychology introduction, from backgrounds, to nowadays with stops in all key topics (Psychology main branches and fields, biological explanations related to Psychology, Social Psychology, memory, mental illness, etc.) explained by Prof. Steve Joordens with real passion, a truly great communicator, with a deep knowledge of all topics in the course.

By Trevor H

Jan 24, 2018

Wonderful course! Every opportunity to go above and beyond in this course is provided and encouraged through Professor Joordens' intriguing and inclusive teaching style. He is one of the most wonderful online teachers I have ever had, and really goes out of his way to make the course interesting and fun while still being down to earth and easy to understand.

By Rita M S

Jun 05, 2017

An excellent course! A very useful and thorough introduction to the psychology field, I am left feeling inspired to learn more. Professor Steve Joordens is inspirational and fun to follow. Only criticism I have is that there were some administrative issues, for example the mid-term test covering topics of 5 weeks, while the test was set in week 4.

By Anthony T

Feb 09, 2017

Professor Steve Joorden's was a pleasure to have as our lecturer in this introduction to psychology. The course has introduced me to previously unfamiliar psychological concepts which has broadened my understanding of the mechanics of the human mind, and social psychology especially. Thank you Coursera and Prof. Joordens for this great course.

By Gaurav A

Dec 16, 2016

The course gives a good high level view of different aspects of psychology. Professor Steve truly infuses a positive energy into the entire experience. I do not have any formal psychology education. The course help me establish some fundamentals.

I would surely recommend this course to the beginners. Hope to see an advanced level of the same.

By Trinh T T

Jun 16, 2017

lots of useful knowledge given in a fun and casual way. The lecturer Steve is good, funny and cool. And I love his lectures on kids development for parents as I am a parent of a toddler myself, and I agreed totally with what he said. This course helps you to be aware of the psychological aspect in everyday situations which is cool and usual.

By Parul A

Jan 09, 2017

Wonderful course, wonderful instructor. All the lectures are interesting, relevant, and explained very well. The outside resources (some i could not access because they had been taken down, or the links provided didn't work) were brilliant and very helpful as well.

Prof. Joordens should now start a more advanced course on psychology as well.

By Haley W

Oct 24, 2019

I love this course ! The professor is very clear in what he is explaining and he makes it very interesting. I definitely learned a lot through this course, and hope to find other courses taught by Steve Joordens. I definitely recommend this course to any beginner in Psychology, or anyone hoping to brush up on some knowledge on the subject.

By karankumar k s

Mar 24, 2019

It was really a great informative course. i had great fun learning from prof steve. it certainly perceive world in a different way now thanks to this course. i started this course just for fun purpose but it turned out to be really helpful so i decided to stick to the end.

once again a big thanks to prof steve and coursera for this course.

By AW

Feb 24, 2018

An accessible, fun course, covering a wide range of topics in the field of Psychology. The content was taught in a very clear and professional, yet light-hearted manner (kudos to prof. Joordens!) I would recommend the course to beginner-to-intermediate level psychology-lovers who would like to deepen their knowledge and gain some insight.

By Mara R

Dec 18, 2017

Very good course, very comprehensive, well structured and documented, very useful knowledge and resources. It was a real pleasure to follow the course lesson by lesson. And this is mainly the merit of the wonderful professor who is not only knowledgeable but also very dedicated and funny! Thank you very much for this learning experience!

By Abhishek M

Sep 15, 2017

It was an amazing course, so much interesting to learn even from the smallest of the changes happening around. It was beautiful the way Prof. Steve Joordens taught, his usage of examples made things about psychology so easy to understand and relate to even for someone like me who is typically from engineering background. Cheers.

By Carmine M P

May 14, 2019

The course was very interesting. The way Prof. explained the themes was great, he made everything easy and accessible, even for someone like me that did not have any confidence with the field of study. Furthermore, the whole course was very well-structured and allow me to be prepared and motivated for every new lesson. Thanks.

By Amanda Q

Aug 28, 2019

Loved this course. I felt like I was in class with Dr. Joordens. He is a great lecturer and relates things to real life. I am teaching Psychology at the high school level, and this gave me so many new ideas and a great outline for how and what to teach. I truly enjoyed being in the class. Can't wait to take another one!

By Vazha

Apr 17, 2018

I would recommend this course to everyone who is interested in Psychology and doesn't know where to start. Very well put together. Got me excited throughout the end of last lecture, learned lot of cool concepts. Whats more to say other than huge thanks to Prof. Steve Joordens and all the people who made this MOOC possible !

By Лещенко К Н

Oct 17, 2019

Это был очень важный материал по теме введения в психологию. Много примеров, простое изложение и большой интерес к этой теме. Благодарна создателям курса и разработчикам! Особая благодарность ведущему курса, который своей харизмой, вовлеченностью в дело смог раскрыть каждую лекцию и сделать ее полезной и понятной.