Back to Introduction to Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Psychology by University of Toronto

This course will highlight the most interesting experiments within the field of psychology, discussing the implications of those studies for our understanding of the human mind and human behavior. We will explore the brain and some of the cognitive abilities it supports like memory, learning, attention, perception and consciousness. We will examine human development - both in terms of growing up and growing old - and will discuss the manner in which the behavior of others affect our own thoughts and behavior. Finally we will discuss various forms of mental illness and the treatments that are used to help those who suffer from them. The fact of the matter is that humans routinely do amazing things without appreciating how interesting they are. However, we are also routinely influenced by people and events without always being aware of those influences. By the end of this course you will have gained a much better understanding and appreciation of who you are and how you work. And I can guarantee you that you'll learn things that you'll be telling your friends and family about, things that will fundamentally change the way you think of yourself and others. How can you resist that?!...

AA
Jan 25, 2021

I found this course very interesting and interactive. I especially enjoyed the week of extra videos where we went into detailed psychological concepts like dreaming. Thank you for an amazing 12 weeks!

GJ
May 28, 2021

This course made me think deeply about myself and my experiences within the world around me. The lectures are didactic and instructive and the analogies with day-to-day topics made them even greater.

101 - 125 of 1,418 Reviews for Introduction to Psychology

By Lupa B

Jul 30, 2020

This course and the content of the course was so educational and cool. I am really happy that I have completed the course. I am a student of Economics discipline and I really find the behavioral aspect of humans very intriguing and fascinating. I wanna thank our instructor Steve because he made the content very clear to me and for making the videos fun to learn. I wish him a happy and healthy life.

By Brian P

Jul 27, 2020

It was a very good course, we learned various amount of stuff on brain, psychology, etc, basically everything that its required if one wants to do future course on any type of psychology or if one wants to have knowledge on psychology in general. The lecturer made the course fun, had a good sense of humor and we didn't got bored and also everything was set very well and interesting and overall fun.

By Jodi C

Jun 24, 2020

A wonderful introduction to the study of psychology, from an excellent lecturer. Hoping everyone gains personally from the experience and shares their knowledge with family, friends and their community. We are lucky to be part of this global learning platform. Eventually, there will be peace on earth and it comes from understanding and respecting others in society. Keep positive and motivated.

By Pavithra S K

Jun 29, 2020

I didn't expect this much of experience in this course, fabulous and Awesome . No words.As well "The Best teacher" who explains and give us more knowledge about the particular topics in 15 - 20 minutes. I hope who are interested in psychology should attend this class once from their study time.it would be amazing. “Excellent sessions! Provided very valuable information for my life and my career”

By Anirudh G

Oct 17, 2020

This was an amazing learning experience and more than one way I was hooked to this course. Prof Steve has an awesome way of teaching and connecting with the students and I never felt that this was an online class. Well designed and helped me reconnect with the subject after 25 years as well and provided me adequate insights for my current work in L&D and OD. Look for more courses by Prof Steve

By Sumit D

Jan 25, 2018

This is an ultimately comprehensive course for anybody who wants to get introduced to psychology and the basic scientific approach to psychological thoughts. It includes all the basic and important experiments and concepts to study. The best thing about this course is that it is taught by Dr Steve Jordeens who is a prolific professor in the department of psychology in the University of Toronto.

By Ganesh B

Jul 24, 2020

lucid presentation, beautiful examples, simple way of communication and expertise in teaching made this course great.Thanks to coursera as well for making this course possible and more importantly reaching it to an ordinary person like me who is not a native english speaker living a remote village in India.

Thank you professor.Thank you Coursera.

Look forword for next course from Prof Jordan.

By Monique M D

Sep 28, 2020

I enjoyed doing this course. What made it interesting was that the videos were easy to understand and you could replay if you missed something. Thank You Professor Steve Joodens. Excellent job!! You made learning fun and easy and I just wanted to keep going. I did and was able to finish before the due date. Thank you COURSERA for the opportunity. I have already registered for my next course.

By john c

Nov 27, 2020

This is a great course and everybody interested in Psychology should take it.

The lessons were well thought out and the additional source material was excellent.

The tutor was excellent with a 'human' delivery, something which is missing in so many courses

from other sources. Well done to Steve and Toronto University. I will certainly look forward to taking

more courses with them. John Coyle.

By Soham S B

Sep 14, 2020

I was studying in Bachelors of Engg and my college gave us free subscriptions to the coursera to enroll for free courses and I found this one in the beginning, I thought it could be difficulty for me to get through this subject but the prof. Steve Jorden taught was really good and understandable, and though it was free for me but it was worth for paid ones too and recommended to my friends

By Dr. H L

Feb 15, 2020

Very interesting, good to follow - even for non-native speakers. I especially liked the many different examples and experiments that made it easy to understand the effects on our every day life. Of course, I am not an expert, but I feel that I got a good overview of psychology. So for me as an engineer, it was a very enlightening excursus into a new topic. Thank you, Prof. Steve Joordens!

By Unni K T

May 8, 2017

Excellent introduction to Psychology. The narrative is very engaging. Enjoyed every lecture in this course. It is structured so well and presented with excellent clarity that it makes extremely easy to assimilate the knowledge being imparted. The course content is highly recommended. Gives you a good insight into the way our minds work and explains a lot of things that we see around us.

By Calvin A

Mar 13, 2017

I absolutely loved every second of this course. Steve really has been a great tutor throughout the course, and really managed to kindle my interest in his field of work. The lectures are short and sweet and contain a lot more information than I would have even thought possible. I'd recomend this course to anyone who wants to learn a bit about what makes them think and act the way they do.

By Beverley N

Dec 28, 2016

I really loved this course. It was extremely interesting, Professor Joordens presentation was lively and his enthusiasm was so contagious, it pulled me along even when I was tired and rushed. The course content was stimulating and challenging, providing a very complete introduction - a great place to start. I would love to follow more courses by him and his team. Many thanks indeed.

By Mark S

Dec 15, 2016

I've given this course five stars because I've conformed to the masses and was told to rate with five stars...

Nah! Seriously though, I would recommend this course to anybody. It is brilliant and Steve Joordens explains things amazingly, the best way that somebody who is 6'3" tall can do! :)

Fantastic course. Hope there's a follow-up/advanced course as I'd be more than interested.

By Shuchi M

Nov 18, 2020

A heartfelt thanks to Dr. Steve Joordens for the deeply insightful yet simple lectures. The content is highly scientific and helps one understand the logic behind developments in the field. It is a lot more than just an Introduction to Psychology. The resources are very broad and the Professor has made an excellent effort in integrating these resources with the course content.

By Livia B W J

Sep 7, 2020

Professor Joordens made this course an experience that enriched my days and my mind. Can't tell how much I've learned about the human mind and behaviour even not been graduated in related areas. His way/method of explaining and his passion for Psychology made the difference and made this course an amazing experience. I'm excited for the next ones! Thanks professor Joordens!

By Jay S

Jul 25, 2020

The framework of the course is fantastic. I really appreciate the efforts put across for hand-picking the topics and sub-topics. Professor Steve is an excellent teacher and his virtual online classes felt no lesser than live classes. Thank you for creating this course and implementing it beautifully, which was easy to understand and connect with, even for starters like me.

By Mimi B

Sep 22, 2020

I liked Prof.Joordan’s representations and his friendly personality. In times of COVID-19, I looked forward to my daily “ sessions” with him. It’s a very intense course with many topics to cover but all of them are interesting. Wished the course would have Continued another 12 weeks...so,interesting and he presented it entertaining. Thank you for that an excellent course

By Joice H H D

Apr 5, 2017

It is a great course, with a great professor. The explanations are incredibly well given, the professor makes everything to us to understand his lessons, and gives links for more information, which are always valid and help us understand the issues with another vision, it isn't just the professor's opinions we get. I really loved this course! Cognitive Cannibal forever!!!

By Luis M

Aug 31, 2017

Exceptional. Jordan is a great teacher, really talented and incredibly didactic. He exemplifies really well every concept and the course is a useful Introduction to Psychology. Lectures are 20 mins long, so you need to be really passionate about psychology and learning because otherwise it will be boring for you. Commitment is required, it's not an easy course nor short.

By Bhupinder B

Apr 19, 2017

Thank you, Dr Steve Joordens for a wonderful experience and the warmth of your teaching. I did learn things and am hooked on learning more. The course is well structured and doing the final assignment and reviewing peer assignments, was a great way to consolidate the learning. I hope you do "mount" another course or two in the future. I for one will be eager to enrol.

By Ian T

Feb 4, 2021

I found the course absolutely fascinating, it gave me a great insight into some key areas of psychology. It’s definitely sparked an interest in me to learn more about this science. Steve Joordens is very engaging and I thoroughly enjoyed his relaxed and informative lectures. If you want to dip your toe into learning more about psychology this is a great place to start.

By Nanci A

Feb 25, 2021

Loved this course! Professor Joordans is a knowledgeable and engaging instructor. It was obvious he knows - and loves - his stuff! ❤️ RUSH ❤️

An excellent introduction to Psychology, beginning with the history, digging into the brain (just enough), and then on to the races with disorders and all the good stuff.

Highly Recommend watching the SIDE DISH talks.

Thank you.

By ANA A M H

Jan 10, 2021

This has been a wonderful experience for me, thank you for such a great opportunity, I love psychology, I love exploring the brain and the human mind, knowing and understanding different disorders, I loved the recommendation of all excellent books and videos! The teacher is great, his voice, his intelligence, a very nice person. Thanks everyone for making it possible