Back to English for Journalism

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Journalism by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Journalism, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in developing the skills needed for a career in modern journalism. In this course, you will explore print and digital media through authentic readings and video lectures, while expanding your vocabulary and increasing your ability to read, research, and develop local and global news stories. Unit 1 will provide an introduction to the history and principles of journalism. In unit 2, you will learn how to research, pitch, and interview. The next unit in the course will focus on the language needed to write newspaper and magazine articles, while unit 4 will cover the basics of broadcasting the news. In the final unit of the course, you will analyze the growth, impact, and challenges of digital news, while completing a reflection assignment that allows you to think about and discuss the recent changes to the field of journalism. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

CS
Jul 12, 2020

I'm grateful for this course because I've gained different essential skills especially about journalism. Thank you Coursera and University of Pennsylvania for this great and unforgettable opportunity.

MA
Feb 18, 2020

I have found this course quite informative about the knowhow of journalism. Now I've come to know the principles of journalism and what are the skills needed for writing or broadcasting news stories.

651 - 675 of 715 Reviews for English for Journalism

By Andrea T

Jan 20, 2020

The course is very didactic and quite useful to whom is starting a career in journalism. Although it is not that useful to whom is already acquainted with journalism.

By Nuria M

Jan 30, 2021

I've enjoyed the course thoroughly. An interesting take on Journalism and communication. The contents are varied, engaging, and fun. Thank you for sharing!

By Suad G

Aug 6, 2019

Thank you. I have learned a lot and I feel happy that I have completed the course and passed. The course was designed very well and each unit was fruitful.

By Snehal S

Jun 25, 2020

I learned so many new terms in this course. New light on what is journalism and how important it is along with how it impacts the world in current times.

By Alexandra K

Aug 4, 2017

I really enjoyed doing the course, I found it to be well prepared and the information quite helpful and interesting. It was a bit too easy for me though.

By Madina S

Oct 16, 2019

Peer-graded assessments though... It was easier than I though it would be. But I recommend this course as a source of new flow of ideas and information.

By Ольга В

Nov 27, 2016

It's a good overview of journalism with interesting assignments. It'll be useful for those who knows nothing or not much about journalism.

By Abraham L

Apr 29, 2020

I liked very much, although I was looking for a more comprehensive one. I completed it anyway. Thank you for all the work included!

By Luong N N L

Jul 18, 2017

This course is very helpful.

I learnt many things.

I had a clear view about journalism.

Hope that you'll create many course like this.

By Jenny A

Jun 7, 2017

A useful course to practise your reading and comprehension skills in the English language even if you are not a journalist. :)

By JALASUTRAM S V P

Jun 20, 2020

After the completion of course there should be a real time internship similar activity to give the students more confidence.

By Michel M

Mar 26, 2018

Very easy course, but takes a lot of time. There is valuable information on TV, radio and printed newspapers writing styles.

By Sanna M

Jun 4, 2018

a great course for everyone who wants to learn something about journalism and improve their (basic) English skills.

By Napattra J

Jun 1, 2020

This course has been great! I had a blast. I just wish it was a little harder and more about in-depth things.

By Haydee A

Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for letting me learn about journalism. the course proved interesting and motivating. thanks again!

By Constanza P

Jul 29, 2020

Not very challenging for intermediate/advanced English students, but definitely a good and complete course.

By libro

Nov 13, 2017

Great course to study English and journalism.essay writing and video-broadcasting was wonderful experience.

By A S

Apr 30, 2020

I felt like some of the videos were a bit boring and repetitive but other than that well done

By Layza S

Apr 29, 2017

I liked it a lot. I learned a great deal, the topics were interesting and well explained.

By Elías C R

Jun 7, 2021

Buen curso para periodistas que quieran adentrarse en el aspecto profesional del inglés.

By Mohsen T

Jan 10, 2021

Some content must be Update in this course, particularly readings are so old. thanks.

By Mincheol I

Sep 18, 2016

For a foreigner journalist like me, this course was very challenging and useful.

By Jennifer K

Aug 5, 2017

The instructions were easy to follow and the recording practices were helpful!

By Vidyaranya R

Dec 30, 2017

Beautifully organised to let beginners understand the insights of journalism.

By Trang J

Apr 29, 2020

This course is basic and useful for journalis! thanks team coursera so much