Back to English for Journalism

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Journalism by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Journalism, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in developing the skills needed for a career in modern journalism. In this course, you will explore print and digital media through authentic readings and video lectures, while expanding your vocabulary and increasing your ability to read, research, and develop local and global news stories. Unit 1 will provide an introduction to the history and principles of journalism. In unit 2, you will learn how to research, pitch, and interview. The next unit in the course will focus on the language needed to write newspaper and magazine articles, while unit 4 will cover the basics of broadcasting the news. In the final unit of the course, you will analyze the growth, impact, and challenges of digital news, while completing a reflection assignment that allows you to think about and discuss the recent changes to the field of journalism. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

CS

Jul 13, 2020

I'm grateful for this course because I've gained different essential skills especially about journalism. Thank you Coursera and University of Pennsylvania for this great and unforgettable opportunity.

MA

Feb 19, 2020

I have found this course quite informative about the knowhow of journalism. Now I've come to know the principles of journalism and what are the skills needed for writing or broadcasting news stories.

76 - 100 of 600 Reviews for English for Journalism

By Eugenio N C J

Jul 15, 2017

This is an excellent way to inculcate the values of truth through journalistic writing among our college students in English, especially that journalism ethics was emphasized. Here, the students are taught how write for truth not so much for monetary gain.

By Felipe N

Jul 29, 2020

Eu gostei muito de poder fazer esse curso, sinto que aprendi bastante e ganhei muita bagagem para poder escrever em inglês. Deu inicio ao curso no começo da pandemia e não iria comprar o certificado, mas agora que finalizei acho que mereço essa conquista.

By María d R M C

Mar 20, 2018

I have improved my English skills very much, my general knowledge of journalism's history, the vocabulary in this context and i have acquired great tools for digital journalism. I thank you very much for the training English for Journalism has given me.

By Alexandre C d M

Sep 19, 2016

This course was great. I'm a Brazilian Journalist and I've been studying English as second language for a while. This course helped me to improve my English Skills and allowed me to learn news words related to journalism in English. Thank you very much!

By Thuy T P

Sep 25, 2016

Thank you for University of Pennysyvania and Coursera for bringing this useful course for public. This is a highly recommended course for English learners, especially those who work in communications/ Pr/ journalism sectors. Big thank you from Vietnam!

By Natalia P

Sep 17, 2017

It's rather helpful for people who need some skills in writing articles for newspapers or just st blogs on the Internet. It's easy to cope with the tasks and it's really interesting. The lectures and all the materials are very modern and up-to-date.

By Twila M

Jul 14, 2020

This course helped me with my Extended Project Qualification (on Yellow Journalism and its impact on modern journalistic standards) as well as giving me something to discuss on my UCAS personal statement, helping me get into my dream university!

By Jaime S

Feb 19, 2017

This was a great experience for me and it helped me a lot to improve my English skills besides that I could learn a lot of things about Journalism so I'm grateful for it and I will be looking forward on making some other courses online. Thanks!

By Maria T S

Nice course, simple and not so demanding. It would be good especially for people who doesn't know english so well. The part regarding the principles of journalism was really interesting. I strongly recommend it, to have a good knowledge basis.

By Ricky S O

Jul 09, 2020

Learning through Coursera especially English for Journalism helps me to open my mind in the world of Journalism. This course helped me to unlock my new skill in writing. The module is easy to learn and you will really achieve its objectives.

By Margarita R

Jun 17, 2020

I didn't regret for a moment for taking this course! So much new to learn! The material is both unteresting and useful. And my special thanks to the teachers who managed to make this course instructive and at the same time highly engaging!

By Elene M

Dec 05, 2018

This course was just what I needed! I was writing articles in my mother language for long but never had the courage to write in English. This course helped me overcome my fear and provided interesting and useful knowledge about journalism.

By Myra V J A

Sep 27, 2016

Superb! I am very thankful I took the course. My warmest gratitude to all especially to John and Eve and the whole team for being so generous in sharing their expertise and providing us all the readings and videos. God bless everyone!

By Priscilla K

An excellent course, easy to follow with lots of hands-on practice to improve our English language, sentence structure etc. Now I understand how journalism works and will consider taking an advanced course dependent on my schedule.

By JEIMY A

May 02, 2017

I really loved the course. I enjoyed every single class, video, lecture and activity, and besides I already knew most of the topics, and learned and had so much fun doing all the activities. Thank you for this excellent material!!

By Kanybek B

Aug 24, 2020

This course gave me many valuable knowledge about media. I learned a lot valuable. Thank you very much University of Pennsylvania and especially lecturers (John Cotton and Eve Litt) — they taught us in a brief and accessible way.

By Sittie A D

Feb 09, 2017

This is helpful for non-native English speakers who want to delve into the world of journalism. I personally enjoyed the peer-review assignments that require video submissions. I got to see my classmates from different countries.

By Hazel D R O

Sep 15, 2016

I love this course. All the lessons, activities, assessments and assignments were arranged properly. The content is substantial, both in journalism and English language. I would highly recommend to this course to my colleagues.

By Силкина Т В

Jul 20, 2020

I really like this course and our teachers! They inspire for studying. This course help me for preparing in admission to university for master’s degree. I have known interesting things and get new ideas for my work. Thank you.

By Saravanan T

Feb 17, 2018

This is my first ever experience learning actively on a web-based learning site. It's really great and i literally enjoy a lot to win a chance to learn here. I would recommend to anyone who has curiosity. This is that great.

By Kamaljeet S

Jun 26, 2019

What I expected from this course it's more than that. I recommended you to do this course as soon as you can!!

Thanks to the Corsera for giving us this opportunity to do it and polish our skills in this field.

Thanks a lot.

By Bảo V Đ T

Aug 16, 2017

I really enjoy the course "English for Journalism". The two teachers are so dedicated and the lessons are helpful and interesting for both journalism knowledge or language goal. I highly recommend this course for everyone!

By Vinicius N

May 03, 2017

Very helpful. I am glad to take this course and get the opportunity to learn new things and to review things I have not seem in years. It is great to intermediate and advanced foreigner english learners! Great job, people.

By Antonio F

Apr 29, 2020

I fully enjoyed the course. It gives you an overview of what the most important principles of journalism are. Moreover, it is never boring, thanks to the quizzes and all the broadcast activities it offers. I recommend it!