Back to English for Journalism

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Journalism by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Journalism, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in developing the skills needed for a career in modern journalism. In this course, you will explore print and digital media through authentic readings and video lectures, while expanding your vocabulary and increasing your ability to read, research, and develop local and global news stories. Unit 1 will provide an introduction to the history and principles of journalism. In unit 2, you will learn how to research, pitch, and interview. The next unit in the course will focus on the language needed to write newspaper and magazine articles, while unit 4 will cover the basics of broadcasting the news. In the final unit of the course, you will analyze the growth, impact, and challenges of digital news, while completing a reflection assignment that allows you to think about and discuss the recent changes to the field of journalism. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

CS

Jul 13, 2020

I'm grateful for this course because I've gained different essential skills especially about journalism. Thank you Coursera and University of Pennsylvania for this great and unforgettable opportunity.

MA

Feb 19, 2020

I have found this course quite informative about the knowhow of journalism. Now I've come to know the principles of journalism and what are the skills needed for writing or broadcasting news stories.

176 - 200 of 619 Reviews for English for Journalism

By Michiko H

Sep 16, 2016

This course is good for my English ability. A lot of people all over the world entry this course,and I could read the stories they wrote. The experience

By Zoya R

Jul 31, 2020

I enjoyed the course a lot. Everything is legible and thorough. We could have taken some photos, as journalists often have to do this in printing press.

By Vanesa d P N A

Jun 08, 2020

Me parece que es un curso muy didáctico, que deja grandes enseñanzas y está muy bien estructurado.

Muchas gracias por hacer estos espacios pedagógicos.

By sandra e

This course is extremely helpful and is exactly what you need if you’re a beginner. The teaching is very systematic and I had a great time learning.

By Sriram K

Jul 16, 2020

This course gave me many insights. Methodology designed in such a way to learn theoretical and practical aspects. This is very much useful for me.

By ELIZABETH M A

Sep 26, 2020

Muy buenas referencias sobre la historia del periodismo y útil para conocer el correcto uso de los tiempos verbales en las redacciones en inglés.

By Tayyaba

Nov 27, 2018

It was very helpful course. I have learnt many things regrding journalism and English grammer. I have improved enough after finishing the course.

By Sylvie T

Sep 26, 2016

It's only 1 word: stunning! The material, the instructor, the animation, the sample, the design. Proficiat and it has to continue in next batch.

By Rizza M M R

Apr 25, 2020

The experience of learning through online has never been better.Thank you for making my first online class memorable Coursera team. More power!

By Borja S T

Jan 06, 2019

Buen contenido y actividades para realizar durante el curso. Lo único negativo: las clases de gramática de inglés, demasiado sencilla y básica.

By Zarina S

Oct 10, 2017

I find this course very interesting and effective. I liked the tasks and explanations given in the course. Strongly recommend it to the others!

By Enikö K

Jul 26, 2017

After this course I gained high confidence to talk and write in English. I learned a lot and I enjoyed every moment of it. Thank you so much.

By Edgar D M

Aug 07, 2020

The topics are very timely and on point. The speakers are all adept and well-versed with their lessons. Thank you so much much! More power!

By Nuri J

Jun 08, 2020

I love this app but the worst thing is that I'm waiting for my assignment to be reviewed to get my certificate. And it made me frustrated.

By Pavel G

Oct 05, 2016

I just love this course, I have acquired plenty of useful skills just what I need to improve my level of English and knowledge of Journalism

By Ashraf H

Apr 07, 2020

One of the best course specially for social science student if they want to express their thought through digital media this will help out.

By Karla M S

Es un curso excelente para quien quiere tener una introducción al periodismo, además a través de las lecciones se va reforzando el ingles.

By Ricardo S S

Mar 27, 2017

This is an excellent course for journalists around the world, who want to improve english focused in our profession . I recommend it 100%

By Ionell J T

Jul 29, 2017

The course is very simple yet is on-point on the essentials of Journalism in the English language. Good job! Thanks for all the help! :)

By Lara Z

May 12, 2020

It is a very interesting course. I learnt a lot of new contents about journalism that I did not know. Excellent! I highly recommend it!

By Renato M

Oct 27, 2020

This is an excellent course for those who want to learn more about journalism and few tips about grammar. This course helped me a lot!

By Claudia A

Sep 01, 2017

This was a very useful course. It was easily to understand. The experience of shared with other people of other countries was amazing.

By natalia d p

Jun 08, 2020

This course is excellent. Yo can learn vocabulary, grammar and principles about journalism. All of them with good technology tools.

By Anastasia D

Nov 11, 2019

Thank you for such informative and interesting course. Wish I could continue it with new tasks and information. Very good teachers!

By Aygul A

Dec 09, 2016

It was a very nice and educational course for me. The exercises were fun and entertaining at the same time. I highly recommend it!