Back to English for Journalism

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Journalism by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Journalism, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in developing the skills needed for a career in modern journalism. In this course, you will explore print and digital media through authentic readings and video lectures, while expanding your vocabulary and increasing your ability to read, research, and develop local and global news stories. Unit 1 will provide an introduction to the history and principles of journalism. In unit 2, you will learn how to research, pitch, and interview. The next unit in the course will focus on the language needed to write newspaper and magazine articles, while unit 4 will cover the basics of broadcasting the news. In the final unit of the course, you will analyze the growth, impact, and challenges of digital news, while completing a reflection assignment that allows you to think about and discuss the recent changes to the field of journalism. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

CS

Jul 13, 2020

I'm grateful for this course because I've gained different essential skills especially about journalism. Thank you Coursera and University of Pennsylvania for this great and unforgettable opportunity.

MA

Feb 19, 2020

I have found this course quite informative about the knowhow of journalism. Now I've come to know the principles of journalism and what are the skills needed for writing or broadcasting news stories.

201 - 225 of 576 Reviews for English for Journalism

By Barbara R

Dec 13, 2016

Me ayudó bastante al momento de ejercitar mi oído para el inglés, tiene varias clases relacionadas con la gramática.

By Jackson K M

Jul 23, 2019

The course has been very educative and with this knowledge obtained, i will wonder my scope of work in journalism.

By Иванова М Д

Mar 26, 2018

an excellent course for those who want to improve their basic knowledge of English and learn more about journalism

By Lucia M

Mar 25, 2017

It was an amazing introduction, and as a graduated journalist this refreshed a lot of things that I use everyday.

By Tatiane d A C

Jun 29, 2020

O conteúdo sobre jornalismo é básico para quem já fez a graduação, mas vale muito pelo vocabulário e exercícios.

By Abdul H

Aug 09, 2017

Really helpful, I have received a lot of information, knowledge of Journalism from these lectures and articles.

By Fabrizio M C

May 04, 2018

A very complete and informative course by excellent instructors. Recommend to anyone interested in journalism!

By Rachid Z

A rich course and qualified teachers with whom I learned new journalistic and linguistic concepts. Thank you!

By Hien N

Mar 25, 2017

I really enjoyed learning this course which helped improve my English and broaden my knowledge of journalism.

By Harsh S

Oct 10, 2016

One of the best courses with the best teachers expounding us the ethics as well as the function of journalism

By Antonida P

Sep 23, 2016

I like this course. It focuses on grammar, lexis, specific of journalist's work and principles of journalism.

By Jestoni E S

Mar 24, 2020

It helped me improve my skill in writing and I have great time with course materials introduced. Love it. 😊

By Laetitia A

Jul 09, 2018

Learn a lot of things about journalist , principles of journalism and techniques ! I recommend this course !

By Gayatri H

Feb 05, 2017

This is definitely a mandatory beginner course if anyone is interested in pursuing journalism in the future.

By Sherine B

Sep 14, 2016

this course is very helpful and i liked the idea of applying through the assignements after the the videos.

By André F

Jun 01, 2020

I really liked this course and recommend it to the ones who want to learn about north-american journalism.

By lani m l

Sep 24, 2018

The course had been very helpful and interesting which will challenge you and enhance your English skills.

By WEN J

Sep 25, 2016

The content of the course has been well-organized and could be easily understood by a non-English speaker.

By Tserenjav

May 01, 2020

Dear teachers John Cotton, Eve Litt

It was amazing course. Best wishes

Tserenjav

From Mongolia

By Battulga M

Apr 22, 2019

Great glass overall! Highly recommended especially for pre-intermediate and intermediate level students.

By Md T I

Apr 25, 2017

Very useful for those who want to develop journalistic language and understand journalism as a beginner.

By ARLEEN A A

Jul 02, 2020

English Journalism is such amazing course it helps me a lot especially I handle our school publication.

By AMINE T

Nov 07, 2019

It's a really useful course, it includes very practical materials from which I benefit a lot. thank you

By André Q

Mar 20, 2017

This course offered an accurate and broad knowledge in such a short period, overcoming my expectations.

By Luciano C

Jun 10, 2020

Amazing course. I learned new things and reviewed others. A way of to think the future of journalism.