Back to Søren Kierkegaard - Subjectivity, Irony and the Crisis of Modernity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Søren Kierkegaard - Subjectivity, Irony and the Crisis of Modernity by University of Copenhagen

It is often claimed that relativism, subjectivism and nihilism are typically modern philosophical problems that emerge with the breakdown of traditional values, customs and ways of life. The result is the absence of meaning, the lapse of religious faith, and feeling of alienation that is so widespread in modernity. The Danish thinker Søren Kierkegaard (1813-55) gave one of the most penetrating analyses of this complex phenomenon of modernity. But somewhat surprisingly he seeks insight into it not in any modern thinker but rather in an ancient one, the Greek philosopher Socrates. In this course created by former associate professor at the Søren Kierkegaard Research Centre, Jon Stewart, we will explore how Kierkegaard deals with the problems associated with relativism, the lack of meaning and the undermining of religious faith that are typical of modern life. His penetrating analyses are still highly relevant today and have been seen as insightful for the leading figures of Existentialism, Post-Structuralism and Post-Modernism....

AB
Jul 2, 2018

An excellent course on Kierkegaard's use of irony. The teacher is great and the lectures are very interesting. I loved the interviews and the views of Copenhagen. Thanks a lot. Greetings from Madrid!

GH
Aug 29, 2016

Really worthwhile and informative, in-depth review of Kierkegaard as a person, his life, and his works. Can be taken even if you've never touched philosophy before. Great production and selections.

26 - 50 of 196 Reviews for Søren Kierkegaard - Subjectivity, Irony and the Crisis of Modernity

By Diego M

Mar 6, 2016

Beautiful description of the life, times, ideas, and love of Socrates that Kierkegaard embodied. A real joy to run through. I literally watched all the lectures in the span of three days, there is something simple and earnest about the course that I really like. I like that the quizzes never took away from the lesson, they only check understanding at the end of the lecture.

By TEMCHIT C

Jan 2, 2021

I have learn many things about Søren Kierkegaard and his contemporaries. The main course focus on Kierkegaard Master's Thesis "On The Concept of Irony" but we also read Plato’s dialogues, Euthyphro, The Apology, and another of Kierkegaard's works to understand concept of his view on Christianity, Subjectivity, Individualism, and Christian Existentialism.

By Fernando B

Apr 26, 2020

I take many courses in coursera but this is the first course where the class and the beautifull of the city of Denmark is showed. The tone of the teacher is relaxing, precise and enjoyable. I like the invertiews and the diverse local that he explore to teach about Kiekegaard. I just love this philosophy class. I see all the videso s three times.

By Howard C J

Apr 18, 2016

Very informative, educational and well=organized. The professor communicates the lesson clearly and effectively in maintaining one's interest in the course content. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning about subjective truth, how to be self-seeking, the Socratic Method, and a unique method for challenging traditional thought.

By Calvin E

Feb 14, 2018

I thought the course was well planned, very informative and organized. Gave me a lot of insight to the back ground and message of a very bright yet puzzling philosopher.

Jeg troede, at kurset var godt planlagt, meget informativt og organiseret. Gav mig en masse indsigt i baggrunden og budskabet til en meget lysende, men forvirrende filosof.

By tuna e

Aug 24, 2020

I took this course as a companion when reading Kierkegaard's pseudonymous works and my God, it was so useful. This is one of the best courses Coursera has to offer, I dare say. I would gladly keep learning if this course was hundreds of hours long. Thank you Prof. Stewart for providing this amazing course and your excellent teaching style.

By Andrea R

May 7, 2017

I really enjoyed this course and learning more about Kierkegaard's life and his works and philosophy, as well as how he is still relevant in our modern-day society. The links to his works and that of Socrates were very invaluable and helped paint the picture of what Kierkegaard was trying to accomplish. Very enjoyable, and very relevant.

By Mary C

Oct 7, 2016

I found this course extremely helpful,well structured and thoroughly informative.The content of each module I viewed, added up to my already acquired knowledge from my studies in theology.To me it was a link to everything I have learned so far about Kierkegaard and has basically completed the picture.Congratulations and many thanks!

By Conor P

Jul 18, 2021

Excellent course. I did not know much about Kierkegaard's philosophy before taking the course, but he has now become one of my favorite philosophers. The course really does a great job of covering Kierkegaard's works in totality and giving good insight into the historical and philosophical influences on his thought.

By Jonas D

May 23, 2017

Uma abordagem inovadora sobre a obra de Kierkegaard, que lhe permite um olhar filosófico tanto para a História da Filosofia quando para os nossa contemporaneidade. Em tempos de dogmatismos, pós-verdades, e sistematizações grosseiras, o curso do professor Jon Stewart se faz cada vez mais necessário. Imperdível!

By ro v d

Mar 6, 2016

I almost have finished this course. The required litterature is well-balanced. The video-lectures are put together skilfully and the leading professor is eloquent and friendly. I have learned a lot about the works of Kierkegaard and am truly inspired to study more on the topics presented.

Ro van Doesburg

By J H B v d M

Mar 6, 2021

I enjoyed the lectures during 8 weeks : clear, illustative and impressive. I like to learn more about Kierkegaard. This course is an invitation to read and learn more about these philosopher. Thanks to Professor Jon Stewart for his clear explanations. It was a pleasure for me to listen to his lectures.

By Antonio E B S

May 11, 2017

The course has the level of demand and seriousness corresponding to the importance of the author. The printed text of Professor Jon Stewart was a great help in deepening and understanding the contents of the course. It has been an invaluable academic and formative experience. Congratulations

By Emanuela

Mar 6, 2021

A wonderful course for those who are appassionate of philosophy and the philosopher Soren Kierkegaard. It gives you a lot of details and informations about his life, his works and the way he focused the attention about some topics. The teacher is really exquisit, I sincerely recommend it.

By Joan M G

Jul 1, 2018

Cómo me hubiera gustado poder seguir este curso muchos años atrás!! Una mágnifica guia de estudio y de lectura para poder seguir de manera muy comprensiva la obra de S. Kierkegaard!! Leí no pocas de sus obras, pero a tientas, con dificultad aunque también con placer. Gracias por el curso.

By Lawrence T

Nov 22, 2016

It´s not just Al and the TAs; it seems that everyone gets pulled in by the energy. There is a sense that all are welcome to share their thoughts, their reactions...it´s beyond a course, it´s a connection to others throughout the world who share a passion for poetry. Shine On!

By Moira B

Aug 7, 2016

From all aspects, visual, auditory and lecture presentation, this is first class. I would definitely study further with the University of Copenhagen and Dr Jon Stewart. If you want to delve into Philosophy and its relevance to our modern life I highly recommend this course.

By Viv C

May 15, 2021

So well put together. I've done a few courses on here and this was by the far the best in terms of organisation. A decent amount of reading to do and the lectures were very well-delivered. The mix of historical context and textual focus was perfect. Highly recommended.

By Emmanouil P

Oct 23, 2017

Professor Stewart did a fine job with well structured lectures and preparation material. I appreciated the effort to show that the work of Kierkegaard does not just belong to the history of philosophy but is still relevant in our globalized and fast moving world.

By Juan D G G

May 1, 2018

"The concept of Irony" is overlooked throughout courses examining Kierkegaard's philosophy. This course does the opposite: it shows how Kierkegaard's original thesis served as the basis for his entire career and the unifying concept behind all of his works.

By Laura C

Jul 12, 2020

Con este curso pude comprender muchos de los movimientos filosóficos actuales, no sólo como un tema más sino como parte de un análisis del siglo XXI .Con una sociedad inconforme y en busca de significado aprender sobre Kierkegaard te abre un gran panorama.

By Warren C

May 31, 2019

A most interesting and challenging course. I enjoyed it greatly and learned many things. I bought the book and refer to it frequently. This course has had a strong effect on my personal project by opening the world of Kierkegaard and his writing to me.

By Joseph A F

Oct 7, 2020

Interesante y muy completo curso. Lamento que no sea de mayor tiempo. Las lecturas las he disfrutado mucho y las explicaciones del profesor Stewart son completas y de alto valor académico. Recomendable para estudiantes y profesionales de la Filosofía.

By Bill D

Apr 8, 2017

This was a truly excellent course - substantial and complex, but delivered by Prof. Stewart in an engaging way which made the difficulties of Kierkegaard's work accessible. No mean feat - and attained without recourse to obscurity or jargon: a tribu

By 潘天诗

Mar 6, 2019

this course not only introduced the life and academic work for Soren Kierkegaard, but also opened up a window to infinite truth. In our times, Socrates and Kierkegaard with their absolute negative and ironic dialects are even more inspiring.