Back to Know Thyself - The Value and Limits of Self-Knowledge: The Examined Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Know Thyself - The Value and Limits of Self-Knowledge: The Examined Life by The University of Edinburgh

According to legend, inscribed on walls of the temple on the sacred site of Delphi in Ancient Greece were two premier injunctions: NOTHING IN EXCESS, and KNOW THYSELF. This course will be an examination of the latter injunction in an effort to discover what self-knowledge is, why it might be valuable, and what, if any, limitations it might face. What is missing from a person lacking in self-knowledge that makes her less wise, virtuous, or competent in certain areas than others who have this capacity, and what if anything might she do to fill that gap? Historical sources as well as recent research in philosophy, experimental social psychology, and neuroscience will inform our investigation, in the course of which we will become students of our own dreams, and cultivate some meditative practices. Learning Outcomes: Learners will gain familiarity with prominent themes from Western, classical Chinese, and Buddhist approaches to our knowledge of ourselves. In the course of doing so, they will gain an appreciation of the relation of self-knowledge to wisdom, of the value of intellectual humility, as well as of methods of learning about oneself that do not depend on introspection. Learners will also become familiar with contemporary research in experimental social psychology, philosophy, and neuroscience into the emotions, the unconscious, the role of affect in decision making, and self-deception. They will also gain an appreciation of a challenge to the assumption of a coherent, unified self that derives from the Buddhist tradition. --- This course was created by a partnership between The University of Edinburgh and Humility & Conviction and Public Life Project, an engaged research project based at the University of Connecticut and funded by a generous grant from the John Templeton Foundation....

ST
Jun 20, 2020

Really in depth and easy to follow information on a great array of topics, philosophers and philosophies. I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest of learning new knowledge .

DB
Jun 23, 2020

This is a well put together course. It is beneficial to borrow or purchase the course textbook. I enjoyed the course instructor and his use of meditation breaks every so often was great.

51 - 75 of 143 Reviews for Know Thyself - The Value and Limits of Self-Knowledge: The Examined Life

By Deniz A

Apr 6, 2020

This was a great course with lots of examples and ideas to think about. As a psychology student, I find lots of concepts to think about, with my background information from various personality theories.

By Tina G

Sep 3, 2018

I learned a lot about what self-knowledge and how it can enhance my life. The lectures and forum discussions were very thought-provoking. The meditative moments were an added bonus!

By Prashant S D

Jul 6, 2020

A really good course about different philosophical ideas from several philosophers about the examination of life. The teaching technique is really good and easy to understand.

By DANIE G

Oct 22, 2020

It was such an amazing experience to understand and learn how to know ourselves better. I really enjoy the activities and the lessons about the topics and it is engaging.

By Tammie T

May 10, 2021

Great philosophy course. A lot of abstract concepts here, so it would be helpful if the speed of the Prof's speech is slower, to allow more room for contemplation.

By Peter H

Dec 21, 2020

A highly informative course that took its students on a clear step by step journey through a variety of philosophical thought. Enroll, you won't be disappointed.

By Nur W B A W

This was incredibly fun and relatively easy to follow. The additional readings were also helpful in painting a better picture of the topics. Very recommended!

By Björn v M

Sep 12, 2021

​I found this course very interesting and challenging, I feel that I have learned a lot about the great thinkinker and philosophers. I want to learn more.

By Kathleen B

Sep 6, 2020

I wasn't sure what to really expect but this was a great course to get me thinking and challenge me along the way. The meditative moments were SO lovely.

By Everlinda A

Aug 3, 2020

This online course is really great. This has been an eye-opener for me examined my life. I also, would like to learn more about this. Thank you so much.

By Alexandra R

Jul 18, 2020

Very interesting course and very inspirational.

The Tutor is very serious, charming and convincing, even inspiring.

I can only recommend.

By rebecca r

Sep 7, 2018

this course was super well explained, lovely to watch, and very easy to absorb and apply to self through the introspection questions.

By Luis C O

Sep 6, 2018

Wonderful course. Congratulations prof Mitch. Keep up the good work. Very interesting the meditations. It was a wonderful initiative.

By Michael S

Aug 24, 2020

A brilliant course. It teaches much ability to think and much useful knowledge. Also it is very engaging and a pleasure to take.

By Dimitris A

Feb 18, 2021

My Gratitude to the Teacher. He was Great. Thank you so very much Sir! Be well and keep influencing people the best way possible

By Chen Y

Jun 24, 2021

This course opened another door for me to know myself better. It really helped me to be more aware and be in the present.

By dh

Feb 9, 2019

Good content just a technical issue some of the modules repeat themselves even though they have different names.

By Mystery L

Feb 10, 2021

It was a pretty good course. It was interesting but I already though of most of the theories being discussed.

By Kathleen R

Jan 15, 2019

Fascinating subject. Course was well-designed, good lectures and interesting readings. Highly recommend.

By 马秀欢

Jul 25, 2019

It's really useful and helpful,especially the extra materials applied in it. Thank you for everything.

By Samiksha S

Sep 9, 2021

Great course to start philosophy lessons and knowing yourself. Amazing tutor and teaching material.

By Joe G

Sep 8, 2018

Very well-done online course packed with knowledge. This was my favorite Coursera course thus far!

By Imogen H

Aug 28, 2021

m​otivated me to think more about other topics- taught in such a lovely way thats easy to follow!

By Christopher L

Aug 26, 2018

Great introduction to basic, Philosophical concepts and thinkers largely by way of Descartes.