Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

Sep 17, 2016

Thanks for this course. I like it and this language really so necessary for me and my job. My company in New Zealand - ESKA Ltd (www.eskaltd.co.nz, eskaltd.com) and we are work with aliens from China.

EE

Mar 02, 2016

This course is excellent. It gives thorough introduction into language without going into too much unnecessary details. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to start learning Chinese from scratch.

1276 - 1300 of 1,313 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

By eileen r

Sep 24, 2016

I could not finish this course, although I admire the teacher for preparing this difficult material for English speakers. I have studied several Romance and one Semitic language but I was unable to understand the lectures here. I did pass the first few quizzes but I did not feel that I knew what I was doing. I really am motivated to learn some Chinese because it is like a 2nd or at least 3rd language in my city and very much a 1st or 2nd language in my neighborhood. But I needed something a little more tangible with which to get started . I am sure this says more about my inability than the teacher's ability. I know I am not explaining myself well; I simply mean that to learn a language in which the alphabet is different and the meanings are based on emphasis rather than actual words, requires, I think, perhaps a bit more anchoring for the complete novice. For example, i wish we could have learned some simple conversational phrases, early on, just to get started, without worrying right away about all the sounds. Then once we can do that, we could get a bit more technical. Also, it would be helpful to be referred to a relevant text book. However, thank you for the effort. I hope Coursera will offer more languages since I could not find any other languages in the list.

By Corinne D G

Mar 07, 2016

I would give it a five-star but at the beginning it was confusing how to access certain parts, there were no instructions on ho

By Laura

Apr 30, 2017

It would be even more interesting if the chinese caracters were written with the Pinyin (and not just the pinyin).

By Jerônimo J

Mar 16, 2016

I had loved this course, because they teach you a lot of in Chinese and we can improve your language cultural.

By Jorge A C V

Jul 30, 2016

Sub in spanish plz

By el g c

Mar 06, 2016

I think, for beginners, it's a good job but the quiz is really hard to use !!

By Thupten P

Apr 16, 2018

good job

By ANDREA

Oct 19, 2016

Ok as intro to chinese language

By Gayle C

Nov 01, 2017

Good as a refresher for people with some Chinese already but not thorough enough for a complete beginner

By Cristina C F

Oct 29, 2017

Es bueno y básico, sin embargo falta más motivación para aprender los conceptos, que son difíciles. los subtítulos en español a veces no tenían concordancia con lo que decía la profesora (malos subtítulos en español)

By Manuel J

Aug 09, 2017

A great course that teaches you all you need to know for your daily life in China. Although the teacher did a good job at giving many example sentences, the lectures itself were often of the same structure and a bit monotonous.

By Alan A

May 02, 2016

This course was effective in testing what was learned and in testing simple, useful expressions, words, and sentences. However, I would have liked to learn Chinese characters along with the pinyin, as in China reading the characters is just as important as speaking. Also, I believe the quizzes were a bit too simple, there should have been more multiple choice answers to chose from, more questions in general, and even some pronunciation practice.

By Sara G C

Apr 22, 2019

Es bastante difícil para quien no tiene ninguna base de chino, pero no esta nada mal, lo único que tienes que buscar mas herramientas para sacarle partido al curso.

By DIALLO A D

May 13, 2019

Très instructif

By Ivan A

Jul 22, 2019

It gives good vocabulary, but i don't think it is made on a right order for learning.

When you don't know anything about a lenguage, it is good to start learning verbs, nouns, pronouns, to be verb, vocabulary, etc... This course starts straight away with expressions that are hard to remember.

By Ramasubramanian

Aug 04, 2019

It has to be more intensive about pronunciation.

By Khaliunaa E

Aug 13, 2019

it is very good but i dont understand why they dont teach the writing hanzi

By Antariksha M

Aug 31, 2019

I would love to learn more :) .

By Maroun B

Oct 24, 2016

I wish the Chinese characters were provided for all the vocabulary and example sentences taught

By jorge m v m

Aug 12, 2016

I think with more listen exercises this course will be better and the length of the videos too short.

By Axel E

Oct 04, 2017

The course is helpful for learning specific expressions but does not provide a lot of building blocks. Phrases are provided as a block and often have to be deconstructed to understand which word means what, so that that word can be used in another context. For example: we are told that "kan shu" means "reading", but since "kan" means "to watch", does that mean that "shu" means book? There are also a lot of common endings to words; being told what those endings mean (e.g. "day") would help recognize unknown words in different context (e.g. hearing a word that ends in "-tian" indicates that we're talking about days, which would help understanding the general meaning of a sentence).

The quizzes are not challenging and do not help with the learning.

The most useful part of the course is the vocabulary list at the end of unit 7, but I could not find a way to download it. Too bad!

By mayank m

Jan 13, 2016

good good fdsfdsfsjjfjnefvk ekjvbkvh brkh4 3vk vk4r vk4 kv k34v rk4r vg4 kv

By Kobi K C

Sep 11, 2015

The whole course is basically a short topic based phrasebook being read-out and over-explained in English. Since I already speak English, this isn't very useful. The course contains no dialogues, or any real situations where vocab's being reviewed. I found the exercise nitpicky and confusing, and there's no indication nor review of what actually you did wrong. Better just use an audio-phrasebook and repeat it using the same time.

By Juliet H

Oct 25, 2015

I am giving it a 2 and am leaving the course because several of the recordings in the second quiz don't work. It is not possible to participate when there are technical difficulties like this. If the recordings worked, I am sure it would be a very fun and interesting class.

By Jenny

Oct 12, 2015

I thought she was a nice Teacher but Didn't teach the Basics steps into speaking & learning chinese .

If she had started with ABC alphabet how to write & speak the first week then taught to sound each letter out in different pitches of volume 2week then to sentences building 3rd week so on .

it would had been much more helpful I believe ...

I sad that i had to leave the course b/c it seem and look like a great obertonty ... but it went to fast didn't cover what i Expected it would.. :(