Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

Sep 16, 2016

Thanks for this course. I like it and this language really so necessary for me and my job. My company in New Zealand - ESKA Ltd (www.eskaltd.co.nz, eskaltd.com) and we are work with aliens from China.

SA

Awesome experience it was a comprehensive and informative course. I learnt alot. Thank you coursera for providing us such a nice and global platform to enhance skills and knowlegde by sitting at home.

3951 - 3975 of 4,061 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

By Ivan F A T

Jul 21, 2019

It gives good vocabulary, but i don't think it is made on a right order for learning.

When you don't know anything about a lenguage, it is good to start learning verbs, nouns, pronouns, to be verb, vocabulary, etc... This course starts straight away with expressions that are hard to remember.

By Karla C

Sep 1, 2015

It's a great course! The only thing I did not fully like was the we could not learn any of the characters. I guess this course helped to develop the tones and the recognition of them, but, I think that a little shape in the characters and how each sound could improve this course a lot.

By Rhianna L

Jun 3, 2020

OK introduction to Mandarin Chinese. The question prompts in the quiz could be made easier to understand (e.g. a couple of the multiple-choice photos weren't clear); and subtitles for the Mandarin speaking parts would be helpful. Otherwise, it's an OK course for absolute beginners.

By Khetsophon P

May 8, 2020

They don't teach Chinese characters in the lesson which makes the charm of this language kinda lost but they teach useful phrases with pinyin. There's also list of Chinese characters in last week Reading section it's a list of vocab with Chinese characters and translation.

By Pablo D A G

Oct 11, 2020

Teacher is fairly ok, and I preciate that. My stars go for her. But, no offense, this course has such an eighties look; no Powerpoint, no interactive stuff. You can even hear the slide reel working. It would be an excellent course if it gets some update. Best regards.

By Mateo N S

Bueno para aprender vocabulario básico. No efectivo para poder estructurar conversaciones un poco más complejas. Con lo aprendido se puede entablar una conversación muy básica en situaciones cotidianas, no más que eso. Un curso dinámico, rápido e interesante!

By José A P M

Jun 7, 2020

It is a good online course, I liked how the videos where developed and hoy clearly explains the teacher. However, as a Beginner, I would appreciate whether the classes started with a more basic structure before going directly to new phrases and words.

By Manuel J

Aug 9, 2017

A great course that teaches you all you need to know for your daily life in China. Although the teacher did a good job at giving many example sentences, the lectures itself were often of the same structure and a bit monotonous.

By Ángeles L

Mar 27, 2016

For me this kind of teaching is not very useful. I will want to learn more abou grammar so I can make sentences with sense alone. And of course more of phonetics. The teacher was great, she speaks very clear and explain well

By Cristina C F

Oct 29, 2017

Es bueno y básico, sin embargo falta más motivación para aprender los conceptos, que son difíciles. los subtítulos en español a veces no tenían concordancia con lo que decía la profesora (malos subtítulos en español)

By Ivan R M

Aug 18, 2015

I'd like to know more day-to-day information to keep a conversation, I like how it started, but some instructions were not clear. And I'd like to see the characters to start learning how some words are written.

By Brian J

Aug 19, 2015

I think the quizzes could've been higher quality. Many of the images used in the quizzes were very confusing. Also, i think more character recognition instead of focus on pin yin would've been more beneficial

By Arpapat

May 12, 2020

I think it is better if teaching with pinyin and Chinese Character because the student can get to know more about Character and improve reading skills. But thanks for your free online course. :)

By majdoleen R

Oct 14, 2018

It's easy and great for people who wants to learn how to speak rather than read or write. It would've been preferable if they provided longer videos and words written in the Chinese character.

By Hubert B

Sep 11, 2015

An easy course, though I disliked the lack of Chinese characters (only pinyin - the transcription) and lack of grammar rules. I recommend it only for beginners who know nothing of Chinese.

By Rishabh K

Oct 12, 2018

Good only for familiarity with language but some what lacks making a base for further studies. Nevertheless I really enjoyed this course and it covers basic conversations in a nice way.

By Adrian C

Sep 22, 2015

Focuses on pronunciation and basic pinyin. I think this might be a difficult course to start with, although the quizes themselves are very easy. Vocabulary is very lightly covered.

By Aravind A

Nov 28, 2015

The course only contains a basic introduction to chineese. You need further sessions to learn a language completely and to have any significant benifit from the effort put in.

By Ren A

Aug 20, 2015

For the amount of money one is paying for this product, one would at least expect teacher-student interaction. The tests are too easy, one can't learn properly from them.

By Sara G C

Apr 22, 2019

Es bastante difícil para quien no tiene ninguna base de chino, pero no esta nada mal, lo único que tienes que buscar mas herramientas para sacarle partido al curso.

By Stacey S

Jun 12, 2020

You will get as much out of it as you put in, but it was a good overall introduction. I wouldn't say I can speak Chinese now, but I understand it a bit more :)

By David C

Dec 23, 2020

doesn't really approach Chinese for English speakers in the right way. They choose the wrong progression for us and should revise the entire intro course

By Joseph G

Aug 16, 2020

Courses are great. 5 STARS!

1 major problem. I would like to go back into the courses to refresh, but not possible, therefore only 3 stars..

Really too bad

By Monica p

Sep 22, 2020

Starting from zero, it is not very simple following her. The course is full of knowledges but lack in the basics, I had to check on line for everything.

By Arif H

Jul 30, 2020

Great experience with a very great teacher, however, it would be more effective through physical classes. But anyhow I like this course so "Xiexie".