Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

SA

Awesome experience it was a comprehensive and informative course. I learnt alot. Thank you coursera for providing us such a nice and global platform to enhance skills and knowlegde by sitting at home.

Sep 16, 2016

Thanks for this course. I like it and this language really so necessary for me and my job. My company in New Zealand - ESKA Ltd (www.eskaltd.co.nz, eskaltd.com) and we are work with aliens from China.

4051 - 4075 of 4,195 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

May 12, 2020

👍🏻

By MUTHITA N

Apr 19, 2020

Good

By Trần H T

Mar 22, 2020

Good

By Marc F A

Jan 4, 2017

good

By Serra K

May 6, 2016

Jan 26, 2016

n

By eileen r

Sep 24, 2016

I could not finish this course, although I admire the teacher for preparing this difficult material for English speakers. I have studied several Romance and one Semitic language but I was unable to understand the lectures here. I did pass the first few quizzes but I did not feel that I knew what I was doing. I really am motivated to learn some Chinese because it is like a 2nd or at least 3rd language in my city and very much a 1st or 2nd language in my neighborhood. But I needed something a little more tangible with which to get started . I am sure this says more about my inability than the teacher's ability. I know I am not explaining myself well; I simply mean that to learn a language in which the alphabet is different and the meanings are based on emphasis rather than actual words, requires, I think, perhaps a bit more anchoring for the complete novice. For example, i wish we could have learned some simple conversational phrases, early on, just to get started, without worrying right away about all the sounds. Then once we can do that, we could get a bit more technical. Also, it would be helpful to be referred to a relevant text book. However, thank you for the effort. I hope Coursera will offer more languages since I could not find any other languages in the list.

By Monica

Oct 23, 2020

This course is confusing for learners with zero knowledge of the language. With some knowledge, it is easy to follow through. The examples of mistaken pronunciation also make no sense and I cannot imagine that those are real mistakes non speakers make. The very last page of vocabulary words twice used the word and pinyin 无 Wú instead of 五Wǔ, for the number 5. It makes me wonder what other inaccuracies there are. The English translation for many parts of the lessons were also inaccurate or awkward in grammar and many words had better fitting explanations than what was given by the instructor. All in all a mediocre introduction to Mandarin, but the history of Pinyin was interesting and the introduction to it was extremely useful and made the other programmes I'm enrolled in much easier to comprehend.

By Troy S

Oct 5, 2020

I enjoyed the course and found most of the methods of teaching and content to be easy to take in and covering a wide range of topics. I do wish the course focused on the grammatical structure of the language more as relates to how sentences are structured and why, subject and verb agreement and the like but I say this understanding that this is a course for beginners. I look forward to reviewing my notes and using what I have learned here toward my fist official certification in the language.

NB - Certain tests need to made less ambiguous so the person being tested can understand what is being asked of them CLEARLY.

In summary if you know nothing about the language and plant o travel or want to be certified, start here.

By Woochul C

Sep 16, 2015

It is quite good course for beginners those are Latin-Language-speaking people. You don't need to learn a chinese characters. So, it is very simple.

But, I think that these lectures lacks logiccal explanation. Even in beginning, the logical sturucte is undoubtedly important for further learning.

And, Quiz are really easy. So, you can finish this course even in a day if you have a sufficient time. I do not think that this course will make someone really spaek Chinee in China. But, this should be recommended for only those are interested in Chinese and do not have a plan to go to china.

By LeapingFrog E

Nov 13, 2018

I learned a lot of vocabulary but felt that there wasn't enough repetitive exercises. Also, no characters were used to learn. I understand it was meant for beginners. I did learn something but I felt the format could have been enhanced with more challenging exercises. Even the parts we were to read didn't have translations on them. I think this course needs more revision. I did enjoy the teacher. She seemed patient and spoke slowly. Thank you.

By Mannie

Sep 26, 2020

This course is best for someone looking to travel to China and use the spoken language only, not necessarily looking to become conversational or even be able to read. It does not break down the grammar very well. While it is good for learning tones and Pinyin, it lacks the characters for vocabulary needed to be able to read the language throughout the course. It does offer relevant vocabulary, however, and the quizzes are helpful.

By JongMin C

Dec 7, 2020

this course was pretty good. The idea made by professor was interesting. learning chinese without teaching letters. However, i think this is useless. i am sure that if anyone who never learned chinese travel to china only watched this course for preparing, he or she would be in total trouble. But i saw prof was eager to teach chinese. that made it worth three stars

By Edward B M

Dec 29, 2015

A good introduction, but it would be nice to learn a little more about written Chinese and some basic grammar. Also, like all on-line courses, this one tests how good the student is at listening, but not how good they are at speaking. You can get high marks but still be unable to utter a single word or read any Kanji characters.

By Ting B

The video looks quite old and sometimes feel boring.

But the vocabulary is in daily life, should have the conclude sheet in every chapter, with the Chinese character, pinyin and meaning

The last page that concludes everything, can have Chinese characters with the pinyin. Not just Chinese characters and the meaning.