Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

SA

Awesome experience it was a comprehensive and informative course. I learnt alot. Thank you coursera for providing us such a nice and global platform to enhance skills and knowlegde by sitting at home.

PP
Apr 24, 2020

She teaching very well! Easy to understand, her accent is very clear to understand, lesson is very useful to and might can use it for real. Thank you for lovely teaching and lovely lesson\n\nThank you

4526 - 4550 of 4,688 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

By Su M H

Jun 6, 2021

good

By Sai S

Jun 20, 2020

By NITHEESHA.M

Jun 18, 2020

By Nantana K

May 12, 2020

👍🏻

By MUTHITA N

Apr 19, 2020

Good

By Thảo T

Mar 22, 2020

Good

By Marc F A

Jan 4, 2017

good

By Serra K

May 6, 2016

Jan 26, 2016

n

By eileen r

Sep 24, 2016

I could not finish this course, although I admire the teacher for preparing this difficult material for English speakers. I have studied several Romance and one Semitic language but I was unable to understand the lectures here. I did pass the first few quizzes but I did not feel that I knew what I was doing. I really am motivated to learn some Chinese because it is like a 2nd or at least 3rd language in my city and very much a 1st or 2nd language in my neighborhood. But I needed something a little more tangible with which to get started . I am sure this says more about my inability than the teacher's ability. I know I am not explaining myself well; I simply mean that to learn a language in which the alphabet is different and the meanings are based on emphasis rather than actual words, requires, I think, perhaps a bit more anchoring for the complete novice. For example, i wish we could have learned some simple conversational phrases, early on, just to get started, without worrying right away about all the sounds. Then once we can do that, we could get a bit more technical. Also, it would be helpful to be referred to a relevant text book. However, thank you for the effort. I hope Coursera will offer more languages since I could not find any other languages in the list.

By Monica

Oct 23, 2020

This course is confusing for learners with zero knowledge of the language. With some knowledge, it is easy to follow through. The examples of mistaken pronunciation also make no sense and I cannot imagine that those are real mistakes non speakers make. The very last page of vocabulary words twice used the word and pinyin 无 Wú instead of 五Wǔ, for the number 5. It makes me wonder what other inaccuracies there are. The English translation for many parts of the lessons were also inaccurate or awkward in grammar and many words had better fitting explanations than what was given by the instructor. All in all a mediocre introduction to Mandarin, but the history of Pinyin was interesting and the introduction to it was extremely useful and made the other programmes I'm enrolled in much easier to comprehend.

By Troy S

Oct 5, 2020

I enjoyed the course and found most of the methods of teaching and content to be easy to take in and covering a wide range of topics. I do wish the course focused on the grammatical structure of the language more as relates to how sentences are structured and why, subject and verb agreement and the like but I say this understanding that this is a course for beginners. I look forward to reviewing my notes and using what I have learned here toward my fist official certification in the language.

NB - Certain tests need to made less ambiguous so the person being tested can understand what is being asked of them CLEARLY.

In summary if you know nothing about the language and plant o travel or want to be certified, start here.

By Woochul C

Sep 16, 2015

It is quite good course for beginners those are Latin-Language-speaking people. You don't need to learn a chinese characters. So, it is very simple.

But, I think that these lectures lacks logiccal explanation. Even in beginning, the logical sturucte is undoubtedly important for further learning.

And, Quiz are really easy. So, you can finish this course even in a day if you have a sufficient time. I do not think that this course will make someone really spaek Chinee in China. But, this should be recommended for only those are interested in Chinese and do not have a plan to go to china.