Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

NR
Mar 4, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

PD
Jun 29, 2020

It has help evaluate what I put into decision in any applicable context. Since I've noted what decision I make and how outcome can be made to vary when I consider all components in a isolated manner.

526 - 533 of 533 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Digby D

Dec 12, 2017

A more mathematical approach to Formal Logic. Good alternative to Intro to Logic (also from Stanford) for STEM students if they don't like the format of Intro to Logic.

By zjm2017

Mar 4, 2017

useful

By gavfieldior

Jun 15, 2021

B​oring

By Aldo J M V

Dec 23, 2019

I disagree with the way the rubrics are designed. It should be called "think as I do"

By Santiago N M

Aug 30, 2018

no entendi nada no sabe explicar y ademas es vejo y blanco....

By gamey p

It's fail course it's a wasting for time

By Arnold W