Back to Mindware: Critical Thinking for the Information Age

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindware: Critical Thinking for the Information Age by University of Michigan

Most professions these days require more than general intelligence. They require in addition the ability to collect, analyze and think about data. Personal life is enriched when these same skills are applied to problems in everyday life involving judgment and choice. This course presents basic concepts from statistics, probability, scientific methodology, cognitive psychology and cost-benefit theory and shows how they can be applied to everything from picking one product over another to critiquing media accounts of scientific research. Concepts are defined briefly and breezily and then applied to many examples drawn from business, the media and everyday life. What kinds of things will you learn? Why it’s usually a mistake to interview people for a job. Why it’s highly unlikely that, if your first meal in a new restaurant is excellent, you will find the next meal to be as good. Why economists regularly walk out of movies and leave restaurant food uneaten. Why getting your picture on the cover of Sports Illustrated usually means your next season is going to be a disappointment. Why you might not have a disease even though you’ve tested positive for it. Why you’re never going to know how coffee affects you unless you conduct an experiment in which you flip a coin to determine whether you will have coffee on a given day. Why it might be a mistake to use an office in a building you own as opposed to having your office in someone else’s building. Why you should never keep a stock that’s going down in hopes that it will go back up and prevent you from losing any of your initial investment. Why it is that a great deal of health information presented in the media is misinformation....

JM

Jul 29, 2019

This course is great! I recommend it to anyone who wants to be able to reason better and have more capabilities in making decisions. Thank you Dr. Nisbett and Coursera for providing this course.

NP

Aug 07, 2017

A very good course prof Richard has explained very difficult to understand concepts in a very simple language and made it easy for students to grasp the subject matter easily.

26 - 50 of 99 Reviews for Mindware: Critical Thinking for the Information Age

By Lukáš H

Jul 19, 2017

This course gives you the skills you will need in the 21st century. It helped me to understand data and filter out the noise from relevant information. If you want to know what is really going on, what works and what is not and make up for your cognitive limitations and heuristics, go for it. One of the best courses you can take in the information age.

By Sharena R

Jun 11, 2017

Thanks, Dr. Nisbett! This was my first Coursera course, and I am happy that I came across it when I was planning on reading the book "Mindware" anyway. I enjoyed the book very much and took this course as a companion to the book, rather than vice versa.

By Radu C

Jan 09, 2018

Well structured course and very helpful. It presents the matter of critical thinking in a pretty abstract away allowing to cover a lot of subjects while also presenting the most important aspects. I observed changes in my way of analyzing information in every day life. The course does not provide in depth mathematical / logical concepts but it teaches you when to observe the need to use such a concept and how to search for it which is more valuable in my opinion.

By 张康

Apr 28, 2017

Great course. Mini size but still can makes a change to you.

By Christos G

Sep 06, 2017

Excellent collection of mistakes we make during decision making and logical reasoning. A valuable companion for the rest of your life.

By JOHN Q

May 10, 2017

great course with worthwhile information....thanks.

By Andrey A

Aug 17, 2017

Jolly good classes

By Henry D

Jun 25, 2017

I found this course very useful and informative in many ways. The content is particularly relevant for the current "information age". Learning and applying the thinking skills and analytical tools outlined by Dr. Nisbett have a tremendous positive effect on how I look at things in both a business and personal situations. Thank you for providing this course through Coursera.

By Sunita A

May 14, 2018

The activities and lectures were really interesting. This is the first course that i started and completed on Coursera. So I'm super excited.

By Vera

Jul 17, 2017

It's really great! It's my first course I've completed so far, and I admit I just scratched the surface. I will learn more about logic and principles of making choices on my own, but this course gave me the initial spark of interest.

You should definitely consider it useful for your life!

By Munawar H

Nov 01, 2017

I had great time and learned to see in new point of view and think in many ways as it requires.

By Serge K

Aug 21, 2017

I like the book and have enjoyed the course!

By Rahul

Mar 31, 2018

Brilliant course and well taught by professor.

By Zakhar B

Oct 02, 2017

An excellent course which can make you smarter.

By coco.zhuhui

May 11, 2018

great course! I think it's very helpful in daily life.

By Michael N

Jun 22, 2017

A great course. High learning to time invested ratio. Well presented.

By Francisco H C

Mar 20, 2018

Very useful

By Stefan V

Aug 16, 2017

This is a great course for anyone who wants to improve the way they approach problems and choices. It introduces topics that are useful in everyday life but are generally accessible only in higher education (Behavior and Social Sciences, Economics, Philosophy). The video materials are great and the course is fun to go through. I definitely recommend it to anyone!

By Danica B

Apr 28, 2017

It's an amazing course designed to help us think better in the world we live in. I'd recommend it to everyone as a basis to start evaluating your own ways of thinking, finding the flaws and creating new ways and healthier habits when making decisions.

It's fully worth the time. Thank you for such quality content.

By Regina K

Jun 23, 2017

The course was very helpful to deal with the huge amount of unfiltered information in an appropriately critical way. I have now a much higher awareness of judgment errors and feel better prepared for conluding the right things from the information that I get. Thank you very much, the course helped a lot and it was especially easy to handle because of the many examples.

By Lenka S

Feb 22, 2018

Thank you Mr. Nisbett! I live on the other side of the planet, currently on maternity leave spending most of the time at home taking care of my baby and I must say that taking up your course was very refreshing for me and I enjoyed it a lot! It was not hard on definitions as promised, yet the course gave me a lot of inputs to think about and I find it very relevant these days. I will definitely participate in lot more courses from your University in the future.

By Chia C L

Jul 25, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. While going through the course materials, I get to apply some of the things I have learned and reflect them in my life e.g why we tend to generalize someone's behavior with just one observation, ...etc. I will want to continue to apply concepts I find important esp. to my daily life. In short, this course is not just useful;

it is transformative! Thank you! May you be well and happy ^^.

By Gianluca A

May 15, 2017

This course is really helpful to start thinking in a critical way.

It open your mind to a new kind of reasoning, a right kind of reasoning.

By Gary L

Jan 27, 2018

This is a fantastic course.

Even with two masters degrees I learnt a lot and have recommended it to my colleagues.

It should be taught to all students.

By Manoj S