Back to Mindware: Critical Thinking for the Information Age

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindware: Critical Thinking for the Information Age by University of Michigan

Most professions these days require more than general intelligence. They require in addition the ability to collect, analyze and think about data. Personal life is enriched when these same skills are applied to problems in everyday life involving judgment and choice. This course presents basic concepts from statistics, probability, scientific methodology, cognitive psychology and cost-benefit theory and shows how they can be applied to everything from picking one product over another to critiquing media accounts of scientific research. Concepts are defined briefly and breezily and then applied to many examples drawn from business, the media and everyday life. What kinds of things will you learn? Why it’s usually a mistake to interview people for a job. Why it’s highly unlikely that, if your first meal in a new restaurant is excellent, you will find the next meal to be as good. Why economists regularly walk out of movies and leave restaurant food uneaten. Why getting your picture on the cover of Sports Illustrated usually means your next season is going to be a disappointment. Why you might not have a disease even though you’ve tested positive for it. Why you’re never going to know how coffee affects you unless you conduct an experiment in which you flip a coin to determine whether you will have coffee on a given day. Why it might be a mistake to use an office in a building you own as opposed to having your office in someone else’s building. Why you should never keep a stock that’s going down in hopes that it will go back up and prevent you from losing any of your initial investment. Why it is that a great deal of health information presented in the media is misinformation....

JM
Jul 28, 2019

This course is great! I recommend it to anyone who wants to be able to reason better and have more capabilities in making decisions. Thank you Dr. Nisbett and Coursera for providing this course.

MK
Apr 7, 2020

Anyone beginner can take this course and be 100 times more understanding of information via any media while also perhaps understanding what is the best choice in some give scenario IRL.

51 - 75 of 218 Reviews for Mindware: Critical Thinking for the Information Age

By Robert F

May 3, 2020

Excellent combination of logic, statistics and psychology which is the minimum amount of understandings you need to make accurate business decisions.

By Gary L

Jan 27, 2018

This is a fantastic course.

Even with two masters degrees I learnt a lot and have recommended it to my colleagues.

It should be taught to all students.

By Виктория Е

Mar 4, 2019

I just finished my first week, but I already can say that it is changing my mind! These skills are extremely helpful in our lives. I am so grateful!

By Travis J

Sep 12, 2018

A pretty crucial look at the common fallacies and biases that influence the way we absorb information. This is highly recommended to all people.

By David A Q A

Jul 4, 2018

A Clear and Useful course to be a Better Decision Maker. Do you need something else? What you waiting for? Take course it's more than a nudge.

By Mark P

Sep 20, 2019

This has been most excellent.

I found the baserate false alarm rate examples particularly useful and am inspired to use this in a new context

By Paul K

May 28, 2019

Superb. Being able to (begin to) see cognitive biases and errors daily--and realizing that everyone makes many--is enlightening and humbling.

By Sunita A

May 14, 2018

The activities and lectures were really interesting. This is the first course that i started and completed on Coursera. So I'm super excited.

By Sofia G

Jul 21, 2017

I really love the course, and I have recommended it to all my friends. The course helped me to think more clearly and avoid cognitive biases.

By Sergey L

Brilliant! I constantly felt a great emotional uplift during this course and I am very grateful to Mr. Nisbett for everything that I learned

By Segizbay A

Jul 31, 2020

Very informative. Thank you! I would want to come back to this course's lectures from time to time to refresh my knowledge. It is worth it!

By Gianluca A

May 15, 2017

This course is really helpful to start thinking in a critical way.

It open your mind to a new kind of reasoning, a right kind of reasoning.

By Haoming L

Nov 25, 2019

Useful course! Dr. Nisbett will quote many cases and examples to help you better understand many interesting concepts and phenomenons.

By Christos G

Sep 6, 2017

Excellent collection of mistakes we make during decision making and logical reasoning. A valuable companion for the rest of your life.

By Vijay S

Jul 20, 2020

Great Course

By Noemi G

Mar 24, 2020

I loved every part of this course. Enlightening and easy to follow even for people who never or almost never studied these subjects.

By Anand G

Jun 13, 2017

Great course. liked the content as it will help in making decision and understand, analyze situations problem in much better light.

By Prisanti P

Oct 16, 2020

It's a great course suitable for everyone. The course is often bite-sized and interesting, making you want to learn more and more.

By Steven B

Apr 28, 2019

The course was very informative and paced just right. It was a light introduction to a lot of concepts that all tied together

By Ameer U A K

May 5, 2020

An excellent course. A handy worksheet like describing all the principles and a small definition of them would be great too!

By Justin C

Apr 21, 2020

Clear lecturing and interesting tests, definitely recommend anyone who would want to think better and make better decisions

By Frank F

Jun 3, 2020

One of the most interesting courses I have ever taken. It will change the way you read every news article and work report.

By Luara P L

Oct 31, 2020

Material is very easy to go through, lots of pratical examples. It will surely help me make better decisions in life.

By Md R K

Sep 18, 2020

This is my first course on Cousera, Richard Nisbett is amazing with his course. It's been amazing learning with him.