Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1), Wesleyan University

About this Course

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

By NM

Jan 08, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

By AR

Dec 25, 2017

I Like How Professor Roth remains objective throughout the course without letting his personal opinions hindering his teaching in any way.Enjoyed the course Very much!Highly recommend.

129 Reviews

By Lewis Housley

May 02, 2019

Fantastic course. I really appreciate the instructor's attention to detail and narrative ability. The topics covered in this class were diverse and interesting. I will certainly be signing up for the second part of this course.

By Fable Zeng

Apr 03, 2019

That is very good class

By Shams

Mar 09, 2019

If it is possible I would give the course 10 stars not just 5 !

I came from a very different background, I'm a pharmacist from Middle East - Egypt- where English is not my mother tongue. But this course has given me the type of knowledge I was searching for not knowing where to find it .

A very interesting to-the-point presentation for western history ... serves the different ideas in the course which covers almost the remarkable thinkers we hear about with the key ideas for them .

I think this course is a must for everyone interested in the history of modern ideas and how we became what we are .

I'm studying now part ii and looking forward to join more courses about that topic .

Special thanks for Mr.Michael S. Roth for his interesting way in lectures and mastery this topic every will.

By James

Feb 28, 2019

awesome

By EFRIN GONZALEZ

Feb 19, 2019

Simply excellent course!

It is dynamic, well constructed and easy to follow.

The essays are challenging and focus on the materials.

By Chris Paulus

Feb 17, 2019

Cool ideas. Very engaging instructor. Finally I understand the Simpson's and the odd Nietzschean qualities of our modern and post-modern world.

By Eric Nicholson

Jan 28, 2019

Excellent but perhaps too many books to read! Reading three or four novels is unrealistic for such a course.

By Warren Cartwright

Jan 25, 2019

Fascinating overview of what 'Modern' might mean.

By Коныхова Анастасия Леонидовна

Jan 16, 2019

Потрясающий лектор! Очень интересный курс!

By Peter Finfrock

Dec 16, 2018

A great and accomplished scholar presents his subject matter in a compelling way.