Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

NM

Jan 08, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

JR

Aug 02, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

51 - 75 of 135 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Maria C

Sep 27, 2015

This course is an eye opener.

I can't get enough.

By ajay r

Dec 25, 2017

I Like How Professor Roth remains objective throughout the course without letting his personal opinions hindering his teaching in any way.Enjoyed the course Very much!Highly recommend.

By Remington C

Jan 02, 2016

Great teacher, fascinating ideas. The reading was pretty intense, but I loved that about it.

By Dasa M

Oct 17, 2015

Excellent content, very good explanation, interesting lectures. Though

By Chad C

Feb 19, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. The lectures were cogent and engaging, and the materials were wide-ranging and intriguing. While I was initially skeptical about the peer review process for an online course, my reviewers were respectful and encouraging. Overall, this was a truly worthwhile learning experience, and I am looking forward to Part 2 of the course.

By rex e

Oct 06, 2015

I really enjoyed your lectures-Great communicator of ideas-Look forward to next

By Darren G

Nov 22, 2015

Great course with quality instruction for introduction to the material.

By Luis L

Sep 16, 2015

Excellent course, thank you

By Jing Y

Apr 07, 2016

Personally, this is the highest rated course so far I've had on Coursera. Selective philosophers, thinkers, writers and poets with their best works recommended, various topics about modernity and post-modernity. Every module literally helps me review my understanding of the topic and of modernity and modern man. Recommend this course to every one I know.

By Gipsi T

Apr 25, 2016

Great course, engaging lectures stimulate and encourage interest.

By David V G

Mar 03, 2017

Enjoying the lectures again. This is my second time listening to the lectures and doing some of the readings. Thank you Professor Roth.

By Maria E H

May 08, 2017

The professor is highly engaging and explains the material in a succinct and enjoyable manner as well as making the course a pleasure!

By Yuezhen L

Jan 15, 2016

This course is very helpful in giving students a survey in the major thoughts of the modern Western world. The fact that it is carried out by Wesleyan University, a premier Liberal Arts College in the United States, ensures its quality and seminar-style coherence. I find it particularly interesting when each chapeter is started by an assigned reading task with the instructor's videos following, which is a rather typical method by which American collegiates learn humanities.

By Kat

Nov 04, 2016

I listened to both part I and part 2 of The Modern and the Postmodern, but sadly didn't have enough time to do all the reading and assignments. However, I enjoyed these lectures so much I might do this mooc again when I have more time for the readings. GREAT material and I love the way Professor Roth conveys it.

By Michael M

Apr 05, 2017

A very informative course that is extremely well presented.

By Andrew G

Dec 05, 2015

Excellent course. I really enjoyed this and it opened my eyes to areas of thought and thinking that I had not previously had the opportunity to encounter or study.

By Beatriz S

May 19, 2016

Wonderful!

By Peter M

Feb 21, 2018

5+ Highly recommended! Interesting, informative, and very well presented!

By Raquel O d

Nov 14, 2016

This is a delightful course, despite of its complexity. You can follow the discussion and very good explanation without much difficulty, because the professor guide in a clearly and objective way. I really enjoyed it ;)

By Liu y

Aug 24, 2015

Extremely-interesting course!

By Taweechai Y

Aug 14, 2015

I wish to have a course about Existentialism too if it's possible, thank you!

By Sankar V

May 20, 2017

Information overload for people occupied with other jobs too but a wonderful experience and journey through the essential philosophers that needs to be read for looking into a modern and post modern world. High intellectual quality and wonderfully structured course. cheers! thanks

By Andrea E

Sep 23, 2015

I absolutely loved the course content and the style of the instructor.

The only feedback I'd extend is more variety in the writing assignment prompts, and a little more specificity in the quiz wording. Some of the questions seemed phrased in an unclear way.

By Danai M P

Mar 10, 2018

Starting this course coincided with my having to stay at home due to a cold. I became so engrossed that staying in and studying was not only a palliative measure for cabin fever ennui but actually what I really wanted to be doing. As a result I finished the course well before its deadline. I appreciated having Professor Roth describe the perspectives of all these different thinkers so clearly, so simply, so intelligently. His enthusiasm was contagious. All the references to texts were really helpful. The course also gave me the opportunity to read texts I never normally would have done. I am already on to The Modern and the Postmodern Part II. Thank you, great experience.

By red s

Aug 15, 2015

Exelent and only halfway the course