Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

NM
Jan 7, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

JR
Aug 1, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

201 - 225 of 234 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Claiton V V d S

May 21, 2016

Q

By María C A

Jun 2, 2020

I really enjoyed the readings and videos. Also, I liked the assignments because they were challenging but possible to do. And I think the correction system works. But I think the forum organization could be better. When I was writing the essays I wanted to post ideas, questions, resources, but everything was invaded by requests from peers to correct their essays. I know everyone is anxious to get their corrections, but maybe all of the posts related to that topic can be gathered in one place so other discussions can take place. I think ideas and resources exchange is a big part of studying, and as in this course the classes are not live, the forum is the only available place for that.

I just wanted to say that because I enjoyed the course and really liked professor Roth's classes. I'm really thankful for that.

By Divulgación f

Jun 16, 2021

T​engo una sensación agridulce del cuirso. El contenido y desarrollo del mismo adelantado por el profesor es inmejorable: excelente didáctica, gran campo de contexto nada que mejorar. Sin embargo, me pareció terrible el sistema de evaluación de los escritos, no me parece este sistema algo serio, pues no se sabe realmente quien realiza la evaluación y la competencia que tiene para realizar dicha evaluación. Este último elemento desvaloriza la riqueza que el mismo curso ofrece.

By Eimeren M

I am not so much knowledgeable with philosophy. This course has been informative enough to give me understanding about different figures and their philosophies such as: Kant, Rousseau, Marx, Flaubert, Darwin, Baudelaire, and Nietzsche. Professor Roth is very charismatic during his online presentations. I may have given this course a five-star review only if all of the recommended reading materials are available in the link provided by the university.

By Lynne H

Aug 4, 2020

This course was excellent; Michael Roth is an excellent lecturer who clearly knows his subjects very well.

My only wish is that this online course would find additional learning methodologies, other than lecture/videos for the entire course. (I chose not to do the written assignments and discussions). I particularly liked the final segment giving more context to the subject matter, through painting.

By Madhushree K

Jun 20, 2020

Wish the course would provide a framework within which essays ought to be written. For ex: One of my essays got marked as "plagiarised" because I didn't cite my sources. The thing is, I have never written academic essays after high school. I didn't even know there are supposed to be citations, or that there are different ways to go about them.

By Emmanouil P

Apr 4, 2017

This course, as well as part 2, is a great opportunity to put things in order. Modernity, the Enlightenment, shaped our present and the course does a great job in acquainting with the basic thinkers of this period. My only improvement proposal is to make access to texts easier by providing handouts in e-book format.

By Katy S

Oct 16, 2015

Prof. Roth has covered a great many schools of philosophical thought...which, in turn, as driven me to look up more information out of curiosity. He takes an often-difficult course of study, and makes it not only easier, but makes it enjoyable.

By frank t

Oct 18, 2015

Hey,

Was a learning course. Ben learned more about the treatment time. I simultaneously following a different course on art: Gogh History of Impressionism which was about the same period.

Regards Frank Terpoorten

By Chris R

Great course. As stated in the title this is very much a part one and lays the foundations for the topic by looking at the enlightenment and build up to modernity, which are covered in more detail in part 2.

By Pat M

Oct 1, 2015

Very interesting lectures. I found this to be a very good learning opportunity. The professor has a very good grasp of his topic.

By Tobias G

Oct 12, 2015

The presentation of Kant's philosophy is quite inaccurate. All in all, though, this is a great course!

By SANJIV M

Sep 9, 2020

One of the amazing tutor I came across, was totally immersed by the lectures.

By Gloria J M

Aug 31, 2020

Excellent content and lectures. Expectations for writing assignments unclear.

By Douglas B

Feb 24, 2021

The peers review assignments were challenging. Be warned....

By Uttam S

May 17, 2017

Great course! Writing assignments were really helpful.

By Warren C

Jan 25, 2019

Fascinating overview of what 'Modern' might mean.

By Richard B

Sep 4, 2015

though the flow of ideologies eventually became distinguishable, the comments on the several artists and philosophers noted were woefully uninformed and inadequate, even distorted, and the professor's eventual humming and hawing, irritating in the extreme, suggested that he was not at all prepared for his lectures - the final presentation of paintings without commentary at all was thus both a relief from his indecision and, at all of twenty minutes, an outrageous waste of time having left all of these however masterful works without any appreciable context

By Adrià T

Sep 3, 2020

The classes are very interesting, as are the readings. However, the same cannot be said of the methodology regarding the exercises. First of all, the absence of the teacher, replaced by correction between classmates - some of whom are unsympathetic - leaves much to be desired. Secondly, the third exercise is incoherent with the topics raised, seeming to want to make easy money rather than educate in teaching quality.

By İLKİN B

Oct 20, 2015

On scientific and philosophical reflections there are unbalanced focusing and biased approach to Enlightenment tradition of thoughts and Utilitarions views in particular, on the very contrary to what Prof. Shapiro explains in his MOOC "Moral Foundations of Politics".