Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

NM

Jan 08, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

JR

Aug 02, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

76 - 100 of 209 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Chris

Feb 17, 2019

Cool ideas. Very engaging instructor. Finally I understand the Simpson's and the odd Nietzschean qualities of our modern and post-modern world.

By Neha W

Jun 25, 2020

Under Roth sir's tutelege the concepts became really easy to understand. Had a great experience sharing and learning along side other fellows.

By Фомин М

Jan 18, 2017

Хороший курс. Для тех, кто смутно представляет, что происходило в 19 веке в Европе с точки зрения философии, политики и культуры, - самое оно.

By DR M K P

May 06, 2020

It was indeed a well-organized course and the contents were really of high grade and it certainly enriched our intellect. Thanks Prof Roth.

By Sudhir D

Apr 25, 2017

This is an amazing course - I loved every bit of it and learned so much. I am going to listen to all the material yet again. Thanks much.

By Patricia

I enjoyed this course from the beginning to the end. The professor makes the readings utterly interesting. I highly recommend this class

By Katalin V

Jul 22, 2020

I've found Professor Roth a fascinating lecturer, using exactly the right ingredients to make this hard subject more easily digestable.

By David V G

Mar 03, 2017

Enjoying the lectures again. This is my second time listening to the lectures and doing some of the readings. Thank you Professor Roth.

By Nurit G

Dec 05, 2015

I enjoyed the course. The lecturer skillfully mixes philosophy and art sources to get us into the world of enlightenment and modernity.

By Maria E H

May 08, 2017

The professor is highly engaging and explains the material in a succinct and enjoyable manner as well as making the course a pleasure!

By Yamuna B

Really informative, and life-changing. I finished both parts and I am really content, and better off in life because of the course.

By EFRIN G

Feb 11, 2020

Simply excellent course!

It is dynamic, well constructed and easy to follow.

The essays are challenging and focus on the materials.

By Maria M

Apr 12, 2020

Thank you Pr. Roth! One of the best professors i've ever had! Enthusiasm + passion + tons of informations = an excellent course!!!

By Clarissa P

Sep 04, 2015

Interesting and thought provoking, the professor has an engaging style and it encourages me to explore these areas in more detail.

By Damián L

Oct 24, 2016

Excellent course! Very educational and an interesting refresher on college-level philosophy courses. Waiting for part 2!

By Bergthor S

Oct 01, 2015

THE most interesting lecturer I have found in recent times.

Wonderfully enlightening approach to the subjec.

By regina m

Oct 13, 2020

I like how the lecturer teaches very well and clear. The subject is also interesting. I've never learnt this before

By Ni N

Aug 12, 2020

This course is well-structured and well-developed. The professor is very inspiring. This is an exciting experience.

By Petro S

Mar 21, 2017

Extremely well organised, breathtaking lectures. Strongly recommend to those who are interested in philosophy!

By Eric N

Jan 28, 2019

Excellent but perhaps too many books to read! Reading three or four novels is unrealistic for such a course.

By Asa Z

May 04, 2020

A great course with very clear and insightful teaching. Readings can be a lot but very rewarding in the end!

By Daniel Z

Jan 05, 2016

Excellent Course with extremely detailed lectures. Dr. Michael Roth is an excellent intellectual historian.

By Randall L B

May 07, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Exploring the Communist Manifesto was especially interesting.

By Cristina D

Aug 25, 2020

This is one of the best classes offered by Wesleyan at Coursera.

The reading material is superb.