Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

NM

Jan 08, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

JR

Aug 02, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

26 - 50 of 135 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Frank D

Mar 02, 2016

Extremely motivating teacher!

By Nurit G

Dec 05, 2015

I enjoyed the course. The lecturer skillfully mixes philosophy and art sources to get us into the world of enlightenment and modernity.

By Valentin D

Sep 06, 2015

I've not finished this course yet, but I found it to be excellent, the content is important to understand, the teacher is clear and I enjoy listening to him. I really recommend it.

By Tereza K

Aug 12, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. What I found particularly interesting was the possibility of reading the essays of my classmates and learning from them as well. I want to especially thank Prof. Roth for his excitement he brought to philosophy of 18. and 19. century.

By Yeshvendra P S

Dec 26, 2015

Truly Enlightening with an amazing professor and team.

By Leanne

Mar 21, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed this course. Instructor has an engaging way about him and makes the subject matter clear in the lectures. Essay-work was thought-provoking and forced critical analysis about research and reading material.

By Clarissa P

Sep 04, 2015

Interesting and thought provoking, the professor has an engaging style and it encourages me to explore these areas in more detail.

By penn w

Apr 11, 2016

This class is wonderful and i'm looking forward to re-taking it when it becomes available.

By Sudhir D

Apr 25, 2017

This is an amazing course - I loved every bit of it and learned so much. I am going to listen to all the material yet again. Thanks much.

By Daniel Z

Jan 05, 2016

Excellent Course with extremely detailed lectures. Dr. Michael Roth is an excellent intellectual historian.

By Damián L

Oct 24, 2016

Excellent course! Very educational and an interesting refresher on college-level philosophy courses. Waiting for part 2!

By Michael M

Aug 20, 2015

The course offers a sound and well presented introduction to th

By zeynep h

Sep 28, 2016

I really enjoyed the class. I recomend it.

By Ahmad Y

Mar 09, 2016

This is an exciting course offered by in intuitive professor.

By Bergthor S

Oct 01, 2015

THE most interesting lecturer I have found in recent times.

Wonderfully enlightening approach to the subjec.

By Arash M

Apr 20, 2017

Great journey into the modern world!

By Epitropou S

Dec 27, 2016

A very interesting course. A privilege to be part of it. A powerful inspiration and motive to learn more about the most important figures of the last couple of centuries.

By Naman M

Jan 08, 2016

By Jian Z

Sep 28, 2015

Professor Roth is awesome breezing in all major modern and postmodern philosophy, litera

By Carolina P d S

Aug 05, 2017

wonderful

By Drayson N

Sep 04, 2016

Imperative to a responsible understanding of the contemporary world and what brought it about.

By Roland I

Aug 19, 2015

Very accessible, very inspiring - thanks

By Anne G

Jan 10, 2017

The philosophy course they should have taught my at the Lycee....

By Armie M

Feb 04, 2018

I

By Víctor D L C

Dec 26, 2017

Excelent course, I love it and I´m learning too much about moderniy and philosophy. The professor is so good and with great empathy and so much knowledges.