Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

JR

Aug 02, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

NM

Jan 08, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

26 - 50 of 139 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Johanna N

Feb 11, 2016

A truly inspiring, engaging course. I really appreciate the interdisciplinary nature and Mr. Roth's enthusiasm and humor. He is also very good at explain potentially very difficult subjects. I LOVE the inclusion of art and

By Raquel O d

Nov 14, 2016

This is a delightful course, despite of its complexity. You can follow the discussion and very good explanation without much difficulty, because the professor guide in a clearly and objective way. I really enjoyed it ;)

By Serkan B A

Jun 04, 2019

It might be one of the best courses I've ever taken online. There were some minor errors in English subtitles, and to be honest, I hate peer-review system, but overall, it was great! Would definitely recommend it.

By Jan R

Aug 02, 2019

By Naman M

Jan 08, 2016

By Daniel S

Jan 31, 2018

Best course and professor I have taken at Coursera, since Demystifying Mindfulness (which is #1).

Really liked Prof Roth, and appreciate his continued emails after the course via Mentor connections.

By ajay r

Dec 25, 2017

I Like How Professor Roth remains objective throughout the course without letting his personal opinions hindering his teaching in any way.Enjoyed the course Very much!Highly recommend.

By Conor C

Feb 06, 2018

extremely informative! with both a strong historical aspect and theoretical side to the lecteurs i think it is a must for people going to further study of art, philosophy or history.

By Jessica W

Apr 24, 2017

An excellent introduction to Modernism that spans disciplines. The enthusiasm and humour of Michael Roth ensures parts of the course that might be difficult or dull are far from it.

By Anne F

Sep 18, 2015

I love this course. The enthusiasm of the teacher is wonderful. His choice of works and their treatment are excellent. I learned a lot, even though I have an MA in Literary Studies.

By Valentin D

Sep 06, 2015

I've not finished this course yet, but I found it to be excellent, the content is important to understand, the teacher is clear and I enjoy listening to him. I really recommend it.

By Epitropou S

Dec 27, 2016

A very interesting course. A privilege to be part of it. A powerful inspiration and motive to learn more about the most important figures of the last couple of centuries.

By Elif S

Sep 11, 2018

Excellent course! Very motivating and inspiring lectures. I am more than glad to have found this course and i will be continuing with Part II for certain. Thank you!

By Calvin E

Mar 20, 2018

Very interesting subject matter, and the course was well organized and accessible. Would recommend taking the course to those interested in late Western philosophy.

By Andrew G

Dec 05, 2015

Excellent course. I really enjoyed this and it opened my eyes to areas of thought and thinking that I had not previously had the opportunity to encounter or study.

By Tuan M N

Mar 22, 2017

The content of this course is great. I am provided with detailed contexts of certain movements and how they developed under the influence of thinkers and artists.

By Eduardo C

Nov 08, 2019

Muito Muito bom! Uma análise bem refrescante da história da arte, uma base maior na literatura. ótimo para quem está acostumado a uma história das belas artes.

By Víctor D L C

Dec 26, 2017

Excelent course, I love it and I´m learning too much about moderniy and philosophy. The professor is so good and with great empathy and so much knowledges.

By Laura L

Sep 22, 2016

This is my favourite course . The professor is so enthusiastic and passionate to share his knowledge, and is doing a great job. Best course ever !

By Chris

Feb 17, 2019

Cool ideas. Very engaging instructor. Finally I understand the Simpson's and the odd Nietzschean qualities of our modern and post-modern world.

By Фомин М

Jan 18, 2017

Хороший курс. Для тех, кто смутно представляет, что происходило в 19 веке в Европе с точки зрения философии, политики и культуры, - самое оно.

By Sudhir D

Apr 25, 2017

This is an amazing course - I loved every bit of it and learned so much. I am going to listen to all the material yet again. Thanks much.

By David V G

Mar 03, 2017

Enjoying the lectures again. This is my second time listening to the lectures and doing some of the readings. Thank you Professor Roth.

By Nurit G

Dec 05, 2015

I enjoyed the course. The lecturer skillfully mixes philosophy and art sources to get us into the world of enlightenment and modernity.

By Maria E H

May 08, 2017

The professor is highly engaging and explains the material in a succinct and enjoyable manner as well as making the course a pleasure!