Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

NM

Jan 08, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

JR

Aug 02, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

126 - 135 of 135 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Andressa C

Sep 14, 2015

It's a little annoying, because the videos are the same all the time... but the professor is very good, he knows so much about filosofy!

By Glenn O

Jun 23, 2016

Only average. Much is said, little information delivered.

By Richard B

Sep 04, 2015

though the flow of ideologies eventually became distinguishable, the comments on the several artists and philosophers noted were woefully uninformed and inadequate, even distorted, and the professor's eventual humming and hawing, irritating in the extreme, suggested that he was not at all prepared for his lectures - the final presentation of paintings without commentary at all was thus both a relief from his indecision and, at all of twenty minutes, an outrageous waste of time having left all of these however masterful works without any appreciable context

By İLKİN B

Oct 20, 2015

On scientific and philosophical reflections there are unbalanced focusing and biased approach to Enlightenment tradition of thoughts and Utilitarions views in particular, on the very contrary to what Prof. Shapiro explains in his MOOC "Moral Foundations of Politics".

By Lynne R

May 20, 2016

This course is wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. BUT, it is not well monitored, the peer review process is broken and questions are not answered, making it frustrating. For example, I wrote an essay and received a non-passing grade. I re-wrote it and submitted it. The comments back were very good, but the grade remained a non-passing one. Very difficult to figure it out. I posted a request for clarification and received no response. So, course GREAT, administration of course, not so much.

By Joyce U

Jul 04, 2019

For me as an Artist; I am challenged , having to listen to the lectures several times to get it. The professor's presentations are AWESOME. The knowledge that I am acquiring is well worth it. It has been a few weeks... struggling so not being able to complete the essays; I tried to at least finish the lectures. I wasn't allowed, disappointed.

By Michael N R

Jun 13, 2016

Not as advertized and way too much peer rating stuff--we do all the work the instructor does little or none--too much peer raqting stuff which I despise. And there seems to be no way to un-enroll.

By Ron S

Sep 07, 2015

The videos lag behind, and the readings the first one of the first week, the link was broken

By Paul M

Apr 20, 2017

Only one star as it was not made clear you could also get 1/5 points in assignments noted as ties but no further explanation. I don't think I will bother with part 2

By Sang Y D

Mar 25, 2016

I advice NOT to take this course.

Why: the professor is never there to read your assignments. He leaves that totally to other students like yourself, to grade your written assignments, and, they do not read and give you a RANDOM grade in 2 seconds.

Don't take it, you will waste sooo much time on this one.