Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

NM

Jan 08, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

JR

Aug 02, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

101 - 125 of 135 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Johanna N

Feb 11, 2016

A truly inspiring, engaging course. I really appreciate the interdisciplinary nature and Mr. Roth's enthusiasm and humor. He is also very good at explain potentially very difficult subjects. I LOVE the inclusion of art and

By John

May 21, 2016

Q

By Yesha B

Jan 20, 2017

The classes were interesting. Activities and assignments were very innovative and helped me to get idea about Modernism and Postmodernism. The best part was getting reviews from peers. I really enjoyed learning in this course.

By Daniel S

Jan 31, 2018

Best course and professor I have taken at Coursera, since Demystifying Mindfulness (which is #1).

Really liked Prof Roth, and appreciate his continued emails after the course via Mentor connections.

By Jon C

Apr 12, 2016

Great class!

By Muhammad A

Nov 03, 2016

Exciting material.

By Tuan M N

Mar 22, 2017

The content of this course is great. I am provided with detailed contexts of certain movements and how they developed under the influence of thinkers and artists.

By Andrea L

Dec 04, 2017

This is a fantastic course. I strongly recommend it.

By Andrew G

Dec 05, 2015

Excellent course. I really enjoyed this and it opened my eyes to areas of thought and thinking that I had not previously had the opportunity to encounter or study.

By Anna C

Feb 20, 2016

I have found this course excellent and I am still enthusiastic about its interdisciplinarity.

By Elva E S M

Aug 10, 2016

Wonderful experience for someone who has been out of university for so long. Will be spending time reading the philosophers much more carefully. I had to read too fast in order to do the writing assignments, unfortunately. It is ironic that the writing assignments are to make one reflect and learn, but they force one to read too quickly rather than to enjoy the readings. Good course, however.

By Lewis H

May 02, 2019

Fantastic course. I really appreciate the instructor's attention to detail and narrative ability. The topics covered in this class were diverse and interesting. I will certainly be signing up for the second part of this course.

By Abdul G

Jul 26, 2019

Extremely useful for graduate and postgraduate studies in Short time.

By Jan R

Aug 02, 2019

By Serkan B A

Jun 04, 2019

It might be one of the best courses I've ever taken online. There were some minor errors in English subtitles, and to be honest, I hate peer-review system, but overall, it was great! Would definitely recommend it.

By Martín S F

Jul 04, 2019

Very interesting course and bibliography.

By 성수민

Jul 12, 2019

Thanks a lot, professor! you have the perfect sense of humor!

By Warren C

Jan 25, 2019

Fascinating overview of what 'Modern' might mean.

By Tobias G

Oct 12, 2015

The presentation of Kant's philosophy is quite inaccurate. All in all, though, this is a great course!

By Uttam S

May 17, 2017

Great course! Writing assignments were really helpful.

By frank t

Oct 18, 2015

Hey,

Was a learning course. Ben learned more about the treatment time. I simultaneously following a different course on art: Gogh History of Impressionism which was about the same period.

Regards Frank Terpoorten

By Alexandra L

Oct 16, 2015

Prof. Roth has covered a great many schools of philosophical thought...which, in turn, as driven me to look up more information out of curiosity. He takes an often-difficult course of study, and makes it not only easier, but makes it enjoyable.

By Emmanouil P

Apr 04, 2017

This course, as well as part 2, is a great opportunity to put things in order. Modernity, the Enlightenment, shaped our present and the course does a great job in acquainting with the basic thinkers of this period. My only improvement proposal is to make access to texts easier by providing handouts in e-book format.

By Patricia M

Oct 02, 2015

Very interesting lectures. I found this to be a very good learning opportunity. The professor has a very good grasp of his topic.

By Glenn O

Jun 23, 2016

Only average. Much is said, little information delivered.