Back to Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”) by University of Pennsylvania

ModPo is a fast-paced introduction to modern and contemporary U.S. poetry, with an emphasis on experimental verse, from Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman to the present. Participants (who need no prior experience with poetry) will learn how to read poems that are supposedly "difficult." We encounter and discuss the poems one at a time. It's much easier than it seems! Join us and try it! ModPo is open all year, so you can enroll now, or any time, and join us. Each year we host a lively, interactive 10-week session, in which we move together through the ten-week syllabus. The next live 10-week session of ModPo will begin on September 4, 2021, and will conclude on November 15, 2021. Al Filreis will be in touch with you by email before the September 4 start of the course with all the information you'll need to participate. If you have questions, you can email the ModPo team any time at modpo@writing.upenn.edu. Much more information about ModPo can be found at modpo.org. During the 10 weeks of the course, you will be guided through poems, video discussions of each poem, and community discussions of each poem. And (unique among open online courses) we offer weekly, interactive live webcasts. Our famed TAs also offer office hours throughout the week. We help arrange meet-ups and in-site study groups. If you are curious about the ModPo team, type "ModPo YouTube introduction" into Google or your favorite search engine, and watch the 20-minute introductory video. You will get an overview of the course and will meet the brilliant TAs, who will be encountering the poems with you all the way to the end. If you use Facebook, join the always-thriving ModPo group: from inside Facebook, search for "Modern & Contemporary American Poetry" and then request to be added as a member. If you have any questions about ModPo, you can post a question to the FB group and you'll receive an almost instant reply. Much more information about ModPo can be found at modpo.org . We tweet all year long at @ModPoPenn and you can also find ModPo colleagues using the hashtag #ModPoLive. ModPo is hosted by—and is housed at—the Kelly Writers House at 3805 Locust Walk on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia USA. All ModPo'ers are welcome to visit the Writers House when they are in our area. Our discussions are filmed there. Our live webcasts take place in the famed "Arts Cafe" of the House. To find out what's going on at the Writers House any time, just dial 215-746-POEM....

WC
Mar 20, 2017

best coursera class of them all. The instructor and teaching assistants are closely in the class + there is a lot more interaction with them and the rest of the students than any other MOOC.

MF
Dec 29, 2016

Enriching, wide reaching in scope. The Prof. Al Filreis lets ideas, not necessarily his own, in for debate and comment. The TAs are simply brilliant both in form and content. Bravo!

51 - 75 of 117 Reviews for Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (“ModPo”)

By Augoustinos K

Nov 23, 2016

If you want to live a five star, modern and comprehensive “tale”, ModPo course by Penn University is a perfect way to travel through the pages of American Poetry written by famous poetical names and still alive under the care of Pr. Al reaches to your PC in a fresh and renewed option. “Goal is the right goal”.

By Brian E

Nov 13, 2016

This is an incredible course. It is online, but feels very personal. Dr. Filreis, though he may reject the term, is a genius. He and his staff have created a thought-provoking poetry community. I would recommend this for beginners, for published poets, for poetry teachers and for everyone in between.

By Zakia S

Nov 16, 2017

I find this course very extensive. I recommend every one to get enrolled in here. I had started other online courses and regretted that i should have completed those first and then embarked on this one. Now that when the course has gone to its 10 week will i be able to earn a certificate for this one.

By Don C

Nov 17, 2020

I've learned so much from this course. I went from having a strong interest in poetry to feeling like I have at least the beginning of a robust base of knowledge about the American poetic cannon and some goings-on in the contemporary world of American poetry. Thank you for what you're doing, Al!

By María d C S A

Jan 25, 2017

This is an extraordinary opportunity to engage with a community of poetry lovers from all over the world. Al Filreis and his team share with the participants in-depth analysis of poems, from Whitman and Dickinson to the wild contemporary experimental authors of our time. You'll never feel alone!

By Hariharasudhan R

Dec 2, 2016

Very well thought. Amazing selection and gives a complete coverage of the subject matter. Amazing amazing TAs and others who accompany Al. A great way to learn American Poetry. The best that's out there. And them giving a completion certificate from UPenn for free is really kind of them.

By Andrea S

Sep 14, 2020

Truly amazing course. Great proffessor and TAs that provided us with such lively discussions. It made me change my way of thininkg. I have noted all the poets and artists mentioned and I will continue to discover new and/or old modern American poetry.

Thank you for this amazing course.

By Ronald B

Nov 22, 2016

My third year immersed in ModPo experience, and it has been transformative for my poetry and my life. I love the videos, enthusiasm and poetic knowledge of Al (even when I disagree), and the TAs amaze me with their inquisitiveness, poetic understanding, and basic decent humanity.

By Ann H

Mar 12, 2019

An incredibly dynamic, exciting and informative course that invites active participation. It also allows for students to take their time and return to assignments and videos throughout the year. An invaluable and multi-faceted resource for teachers and poets and readers alike.

By Stephanie H

Nov 21, 2020

an extraordinary class that is at once, lecture, discussion, salon, and opportunity for thought, critical reading, writing and creative expression, ModPo demonstrates what the MOOC can be with sufficient commitment, resources and vision. Unforgettable and life-changing.

By Lucinda J

Loved reacquainting myself with the familiar and exploring the unfamiliar and completely new. Will take this course again and look forward to lingering longer on the poems and poets who Inspired, moved and spoke to me here. Thank you, ModPo 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

By Laura M

Sep 2, 2020

One of the best MOOCs I've ever taken. I jump in and follow along every year. It's welcoming, interactive and the most involved online experience I've had with MOOSc. You really feel part of a community of learning. I love it!

By Lucy C

Nov 22, 2016

This is an exceptional course. The range of material, the depth of discussion and the support from staff and other students far exceeds many university courses on literature. This course will change your life for the better.

By Margaret L y

Nov 27, 2020

Excellent course and a pleasure to learn from Al and the TA's. I enjoyed every minute of it and realized my own style of poetry is very simple compared with the great poets.

Sincerely, Lisa Young

youngedits.wordpress.com

By John S

Aug 28, 2020

Wide range of great activities in a rich format. Not really finished it, though i did all the assessments. Need to go back and view number of lessons. Live attached zoom discussion was also amazing. THANK YOU COURSERA!

By Laura A

Nov 16, 2020

This is one of the most outstanding courses I have encountered. A fully immersive experience with rewarding debates, discussions and wonderful exposure to a variety of forms of poetry with endless "possibility.'

By Stephanie R

May 1, 2020

A terrific course. Sometimes the students' comments were wandering and full of hesitation and I would have preferred to hear more from the professor. But overall, I enjoyed the format and the content very much,

By Scrambled E

Dec 10, 2016

Best online poetry course ever! I highly recommend it to all writers, not just poets. The development of modern and contemporary poetry goes hand and foot with the development of American literature and art.

By Maria R

Jun 24, 2018

I really enjoyed how dinamic it was. Although the classes were like little debates, the professor was able to guide the students. When talking about poetry, I find this method very refreshing. Good job!

By David W

Nov 6, 2020

I learned a lot and enjoyed, had fun with and absorbed all of the reading I did and all of the readings others did.

I would take this course again (maybe I WILL) and would avidly recommend it to others.

By Celina C F

Sep 21, 2016

Excellent every way you look at it. Great discussions, learned a lot with all the poems and papers. Also, you get to be a part of a really great community. You will never feel lonely again.:)

By Jane W

Nov 20, 2020

This is a wonderful course taught by a talented group of people who love poetry and discussing poetry. Once you join this community, you will never want to leave!

By Maeve O

Nov 17, 2016

I did most of this on my commute and it was so much fun. It has impacted my perception of modern poetry - the difference is spreading.

By Arya B N

Oct 23, 2020

Awesome course. This course made me fall in love with poetry even more and realise its endless scope and implications.

By Xinshu A X

Nov 20, 2016

Tons of thanks and appreciation to Al, TAs, and everyone who has enjoyed Modpo as much as I do in the past two months!