Back to Moral Foundations of Politics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Moral Foundations of Politics by Yale University

When do governments deserve our allegiance, and when should they be denied it? This course explores the main answers that have been given to this question in the modern West. We start with a survey of the major political theories of the Enlightenment: Utilitarianism, Marxism, and the social contract tradition. In each case, we begin with a look at classical formulations, locating them in historical context, but then shift to the contemporary debates as they relate to politics today. Next, we turn to the rejection of Enlightenment political thinking, again exploring both classical and contemporary formulations. The last part of the course deals with the nature of, and justifications for, democratic politics, and their relations to Enlightenment and Anti-Enlightenment political thinking. In addition to exploring theoretical differences among the various authors discussed, considerable attention is devoted to the practical implications of their competing arguments. To this end, we discuss a variety of concrete problems, including debates about economic inequality, affirmative action and the distribution of health care, the limits of state power in the regulation of speech and religion, and difficulties raised by the emerging threat of global environmental decay....

MS

Sep 17, 2015

excellant work dont by Dr Ian Shapiro and staff on putting such a mind turning,thought provoking MOOC on a complex and ever controversial subject known as POLITICS!..I hope to see more from them soon

Jul 02, 2020

The lectures are easy to understand, the reading materials informative. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and any beginner will be able to grasp the technicalities of Moral Politics after this Course.

76 - 100 of 609 Reviews for Moral Foundations of Politics

By Sachin K

Oct 05, 2018

Good for people who want to under stand about various theory around human rights since the time we were born. Are we really independent? The only independence with us is our life. We cannot control our birth but death is always in our hand. Explore many theories about human independence, french revolution, marxism, democracy, etc.

By Hana S

Oct 17, 2017

A fantastic, thorough and meticulously organised course. Shapiro perfectly covers numerous topics, explains them in sufficient detail and arranges them in a logical order. His dialogues with students are helpful in clarifying potential misunderstandings and incorrect interpretations. The graded exams are extremely easy, though.

By Yuraima R R

Jun 07, 2020

EL PROFESOR ES EXTRAORDINARIO, ADMIRACIÓN CONOCE BIEN LOS DISTINTOS PENSADORES DE LA POLÍTICA, A PESAR DE SER UN CURSO, ES UNA HERRAMIENTA IMPORTANTE PARA SABER QUE DEBEMOS COMO PROFESIONALES EN EL AREA CONOCER SOBRE ESTOS FILÓSOFOS PARA TENER UNA MEJOR COMPRESIÓN DE POR QUÉ LOS HECHOS SE SUSCITAN DE UNA MANERA Y NO DE OTRA

By Evgeny K

Feb 05, 2017

a loooot of readings. it's a very reep class, if you have time and desire to read all stuff. Prof. Shapiro is extremely knowledgeable, however, sometimes he is too polite (and boring as well) =). Don't try to watch it at night. Last several weeks require a lot of focused attention. Finally, my grade is 8.5 out of 10.

By Julia L

Jan 22, 2017

This is one of the best MOOC courses I have attained. The interactions between the students and the professor are interesting to follow. The two students have asked a number of questions which I have thought about, while listening to the lectures. I like the fact that the professor commented the students' reflections.

By Ambika G

Jun 11, 2020

I understood a number of possibly complicated concepts and theories with relative ease with the help of the facilitator's manner of structuring and teaching this course. The constant drawing of parallels between contemporary politics and political theories helped me understand current issues from fresh perspectives.

By Paulo E G d S

Apr 04, 2019

O curso é muito abrangente, bem estruturado, elaborado e aplicado. A plataforma é pratica, simples e objetiva. O professor domina o assunto e incrementa as explicações com uma didática bastante focada no conteúdo e na finalidade de entendimento. Também trouxe um referencial teórico bastante amplo e pertinente.

By SUBASHAN A V

The course was delivered in such an engaging and stimulating way for beginners, especially through the style of delivery which was based on a discussion between Ian Shapiro and 2 students. Have yet to encounter another course on Coursera that will match the vigour and standard set by Ian Shapiro and the team.

By Anshul P

Oct 17, 2016

The course gives good exposure to (mostly) English language political theories for the beginner level and also points to relevant texts for interested folks to pursue further. The interactive nature of the course (between prof. and two students) is nice and keeps the student engaged in the conversation.

By Camila A T L

Apr 21, 2020

El curso me resultó sumamente completo y educativo. Me inspiró a seguir indagando acerca de ciertas problemáticas sociales actuales así como sobre el desarrollo de distintos autores allí nombrados. Muy recomendable. Me sirvió como introducción a mi segundo año de la Licenciatura en ciencias políticas.

By Bishwa N U

I have taken around 10 courses on Coursera so far. But I found it to be the best of them all. Really appreciate the format of delivery. Participation of the 2 students made the lectures more engaging. I think all online courses should be made this way where you don't feel its one-way affair.

By Rebecca M

Jul 04, 2020

not at all what i expected, but was AWESOME , i now have realized that there is so much i thought i knew about well marx and others was not complete at all and in some ways wrong, I will be continuing my studies of this all on my own, also found out i have a philosophical mind

By Samantha C

Sep 16, 2017

I really liked the course and felt that Professor Shapiro was very professional and also personal while explaining our coursework. I would recommend this class to anyone looking to learn more in depth politics, as well as some history into how politics came to be as they are now.

By Patrick W

Jun 15, 2017

I loved this course. It was highly interesting, thorough, and relevant. Prof Shapiro takes abstruse philosophical content and boils it down to the bare bones. Also, the method of including the two students in the lectures made the online process more organic. Highly recommended!

By Kiran L

Aug 20, 2019

Professor is nuanced and pays attention to all streams. Quizzes are not overly simple and test the understanding. I have immensely benefited from this course as it has provided me introduction to important readings about democracy and philosophies underlying government actions.

By Franco A M

Sep 21, 2017

very good overall view and the specific information with no to much of talking the argue the fundamentals of theories, in my perspective the only thing was missing was a view of morality of Aristotle and i think Thomas Aquinas is brightest figure to really argue about morality.

By Josh R

Sep 06, 2017

This is a mind opening course. Professor Shapiro explains the concepts clearly and simply. I've never taken a philosophy course or knew much about the thinkers talked about in this course, but he did a great job of giving me a primer to the minds that shaped our modern society.

By mae b b

Jul 23, 2020

The setup of having a professor and some students is very helpful and really encourages learning. It makes me feel that I am in a real classroom. Professor Shapiro explained all the concepts well, and even a student with no background in political science can understand fully.

By Tang L

Sep 10, 2019

I was looking to learn more about international relations, before stumbling into this course. I think this course serves as a good foundation of moral philosophy and political science. I really like the discussion format of the videos as well, instead of just a lecture series.

By Hrishikesh V K

Its was excelent learning experience and professor is very knowledgeable and very excellent in teaching.

Also whole course desgin is so excellent with course content and interactive learning by involving two students in video.

I am very much satisfied and enjoyed lots.

Thanks

By Syeda S

Nov 29, 2018

This course was no doubt a great and full of knowledge course.Teaching method and especially the engaging method of professor Shiparo wad ausome.Before study of this course i had nothing knowledge about world politics especially interm of throries and their application.

By Azara E N

Nov 17, 2016

A fascinating and well taught course... Would recommend it to my friends. The course has helped in further expanding my sociopolitical horizon and my circle of experiences and references. I was able to discover some missing links that were previously puzzling to me.

By Joseph P W

Nov 08, 2019

This course was as engaging as it was informative. The format of the lectures made them easy to understand, and easy to follow. As I neared the end of the course, it was much like nearing the end of a good book. I was excited to finish, but I didn't want it to end.

By Dr J N c

Oct 08, 2019

This course is so powerful. I have learnt a lot of things to help in my political career as political philosopher.

I encourage every citizen to take this course so that we can have a good knowledge on politics and how these politicians behave when they are in power.