Back to Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan

We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement. I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation: (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success (3) Close: Create a Contract (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following: (1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations! (2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/ (3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Course Certificate You have the option of earning a Course Certificate. A Certificate provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. Learn more about Certificates at: https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209819053-Get-a-Course-Certificate This course is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. To join the fully translated Spanish version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacion/ To join the fully translated Portuguese version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacao Subtitles for the videos are available in English, Ukrainian, Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish Created by: University of Michigan The course logo composite is shared with a Creative Commons CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) license, and was created using images provided courtesy of Flazingo Photos (http://bit.ly/1zOylRm) and K2 Space (https://www.flickr.com/photos/k2space/14257556613/in/set-72157644732478432)....

AB

Mar 09, 2017

Probably the best course videos Ive come across. Professor George I believe is an amazing teacher...the way he gets the concept across to students by simple and constant examples is worth mentioning..

YT

Sep 18, 2015

This is one of the best and enlightening MOOC I have taken and I already start reaping the benefit. I encourage everyone who is serious about his/her career to consider this course!\n\nYannick Kounga

251 - 275 of 2,064 Reviews for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

By Ali J

Oct 06, 2015

Thank you Professor!

I learned a lot from you. I'm applying it in my real business and really happy about the result.

Also I got 91.1 score at my third try in taking the exam.

Thank you University of Michigan.

By Zarni S

May 07, 2020

One of my best online learning experience and Prof George Siedel is experienced , knowledgeable, with awesome teaching techniques.

Definitely will recommend to my friends and colleagues to attend.

Cheers!!!

By Shawn R

May 04, 2020

Excellent Course! I am a purchasing manager within wholesale industry; this course has substantially increased my knowledge of negotiating successful contracts with my business partners.

Thank you, George!

By Diana Z

Oct 30, 2016

Excellent course taught by an excellent professor! Learned skills which can be practiced in many professional and personal decision making situations. Lots of practical examples and an engaging atmosphere.

By Natacha T

Sep 03, 2016

Very informative and easy to follow. The strategies and principles taught can be used in everyday life and in a professional setting. I am eager to continue with similar courses taught by this professor.

By Jane.Nana

Sep 22, 2015

the course is great! i've studied economics so i dont have any knowledge in law subjects,however i manage not only to learn about leagal situations but also to understand how it works in several countries.

By SOHA E

Mar 29, 2020

This course was more than beneficial as it made me look at each agreement or dispute in a more analytical way and I benefited greatly and enjoying with the course . so thank you for this great opportunity

By Jiazhi G

Aug 29, 2017

Amazing course. Content mostly depends on psychology and real cases.

There are quizzes every week for reviewing which don't count toward the final score.

The final exam reviews the whole course really well.

By Joseph P W

Dec 17, 2019

I loved this course. It was put together well, and in a way that was easy to understand, and accommodating to my lifestyle. I really enjoyed this course and will continue to use it as reference material,

By Andrea P

Aug 17, 2017

Following this class I am learning many concepts that are practically useful in my business life. I recommend this class to everyone who wants to improve his Negotiation and Conflict Management Skills.

By Andres V C

May 26, 2017

Ha sido un curso muy enriquecedor por la manera sencilla y práctica de abordar los temas, con una visión muy práctica que resulta eficiente y eficaz para ser aplicada en cualquier tipo de negociación.

By Dao T D

Sep 08, 2015

I love the program content as well as lecturer's knowledge about this topic. So many interesting examples he provided during the course make it really practical and attracting to learners.

Many thanks!

By Yang L

Aug 27, 2015

The lectures are very interesting with a lot of cases. The negotiation tactics can be used in various occasions, and some legal knowledge were explained in a simple and clear way. Strong recommended.

By Suresh V

Aug 21, 2015

Thanks for this wonderful course Prof. Siedel.

I don't know of a better way to negotiate with you than to request:

Please offer more advanced courses; this course --I hope!-- has prepared me for them.

By BHAUMIK B

Apr 29, 2020

It was an excellent course with very senior and experience faculty in the respective field proving excellent case study.

I would advise anyone planning to enroll in this course must do it immediately.

By Brylle J B

Great Learning experience, my first but not the last & recommended for those working professionals who have busy schedule and still want to whet their insatiable appetite for contemporary learning

By Junaid A

May 15, 2020

First of all, I want to thank the professor for such great lectures. besides, the course doesn't bound you for department, or professional you have, rather it will help you in every aspect of life.

By Matias H

May 04, 2020

This is a very complete course that will give you tools for your daily personal and professional life. The teacher is excellent and the contents he teaches too. Do not hesitate to take this course!

By Ricardo A D

Aug 22, 2017

A very well suited course which has developed concepts and contents toward most of kinds of negotiation. The professor was clear and give us a good set of examples applying theory in the real life.

By samuel d a s b

May 18, 2017

I conclude the course very satisfied, practical lessons, very interesting content, good structure as well. I am thankful to have learned such a good strategies for professional and personal life.

By Domas J

Nov 07, 2015

This course is superb!!! I felt a deep connection with the professor while watching his videos. Thank you very much!!! If I ever live in USA I will definitely take some courses in this University

By Mony L

Apr 18, 2019

I did not know that there were so many important information regarding negotiation. It was a very interesting and knowledgeable course. I hope to use the information that I learnt in the future.

By Donald A

Jul 19, 2017

He's a Winner from the start. He is very positive, and logical. These ideas can be used at Work, at Home, in Marriage, and in the Local community. Hat's off for a great JOB, outstanding work.

By Олег С

Jul 04, 2016

Very useful and interesting course with examples from real life for everyone. I have learned many tools for my future negotiations. Thanks a lot to mr. George Siedel for his really great course!

By Steven V

Aug 28, 2015

This negotiation course helped me better understand the ins and outs of negotiating. Very detailed and filled with legitimate explanations, I would recommend this course to aspiring negotiators.