Back to Open Source Software Development Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Open Source Software Development Methods by The Linux Foundation

In this course, we will define what open source software is, we will go over the history of open source software and what benefits it has provided to the world’s technology infrastructure over the decades. The course aims to teach you how to work in open source projects productively and gain a lot of benefits from it, and really understand what the advantages are. You will learn about collaboration best practices, and how to encourage diversity in open source projects. We will discuss the different licensing models that are available, as this will help you decide what the best license is for your project. We will talk about methods that are commonly used, such as Continuous Integration, and use of GitHub and other hosting providers as a central meeting place for open source projects, and we will provide some examples of successful open source projects....

AS
May 3, 2020

Honestly, this course provide introduces the world of open source projects and development to anyone. It's really explanative and helpful. I suggest this to anyone who want to understand what OSS is.

HM

The course contains comprehensive knowledge about development methods in Open Source Software. I would recommend this course for anyone who is interested in OSS and wants to have a proper idea of it.

201 - 225 of 229 Reviews for Open Source Software Development Methods

Aug 23, 2021

nice

By David L

Jun 4, 2021

As an introduction to the specialty, it's fine. As a standalone course, there wasn't much of value. I watch some videos saying how awesome open source is, and some very basic elements of what makes a good project, but it was kind of fluff. I felt like I just watched an infomercial for Open Source Software.

By Shashwat J

Apr 5, 2021

Too introductory. Peer graded assignments were good however too many exercises just lengthened the duration of the course. More time should be devoted to the core topics which require considerable understanding

By Mark R

Sep 19, 2021

Decent intro to OSS, but there is a lot uncesssary content. The course needs to be more techinical. Do we really need a whole section on Diversity? Most businesses already have that covered.

By Harrison B

Sep 11, 2019

A great introduction to the idea of OSS, however this course is really let down by the number of group assessed projects and the fact that you can see exactly who assessed your work everytime

By Kaleem A

Jun 15, 2020

Very basic course probably aimed at novices who known nothing about open source. Some of the contents (e.g. github private/public repo cost) need update.

By Jaap v d B

Mar 22, 2021

Nice introduction, but missing the practical experiences

By KSHITIJ A

Aug 5, 2020

Needs to be more interactive.

By bat m

Jan 23, 2021

it was a bit rootamentary.

By James

Aug 27, 2020

very high level

By Киба В Ю

Sep 22, 2019

...

By Pallerla A K

Jul 8, 2020

Although the initiative is great and its a good start, The course requires no pre-requisites and as such is expected to cater the needs of the same. It barely shows presentations read by the instructor and directs you to some links which are of course useful. Would have been nice if the instructor dived a bit in detail from a beginners stand point.

By Anurag K

Mar 15, 2020

Instructor seemed hurried. Not even allowing the student to read through the slides. Not explaining anything.

By Russel S

Mar 8, 2020

Too theoretical

By Clifton A F

Aug 27, 2021

I was very excited t take a course from the Linux Foundation as I am currently studying for my Linux+, but I have not enjoyed the experience. OI am currently in course 2 of 4 and I'm still learning from a disembodied voice reading a PowerPoint with no examples. In fact the labs I've encountered so far in course 2 are all read and perform commands with no video explanation. Thankfully I have some working knowledge with Linux or I would be completely lost. 1/5 not for beginners ether.