Back to International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

Learner Reviews & Feedback for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior by Università Bocconi

Leaders in business and non-profit organizations increasingly work across national borders and in multi-cultural environments. You may work regularly with customers or suppliers abroad, or be part of a globally dispersed cross-functional team, or an expatriate manager on an international assignment. You may be a member of a global online community, or a development aid worker collaborating with an international network of partner organizations. In all of these contexts, your effectiveness as a leader depends on how well you understand and are able to manage individual and collective behaviors in an intercultural context. In this course – together with a team of Bocconi expert faculty and Bocconi alumni – we’ll explore the theory and practice of international and intercultural leadership and organizational behavior. Social science research has revealed systematic ways in which our behavior differs across cultural contexts – enabling us to more effectively work across borders. Insights from psychology, neuroscience, sociology and anthropology, from communication studies and from management scholarship allow us to understand what shapes individual and group decision making, what enhances or weakens team performance, and how we can build and use our social networks. And the shared practical experience of international leaders allows us to identify concrete steps to enhancing intercultural leadership competence, and to be cognizant of common leadership challenges. Learning about organizational behavior provides a great opportunity to develop your leadership skills and to reflect on your own behavioral tendencies. How do you usually make important decisions? What motivates you and how do you try motivating others? How successfully do you leverage and integrate diverse skills and views in a team? Do you prefer professional relationships with a close-knit group of trusted colleagues, or with a far-flung network of acquaintances from all walks of life? If you really want to learn how organizations behave and take decisions and at the same time develop leadership skills, then this is the course for you. We are looking forward to welcoming you and supporting you on this journey of learning and discovery. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1 - Leadership Acumen. International perspective on leadership, common traps & challenges, and opportunities of intercultural leadership. Week 2 - Navigating Culture. Impact of cultural differences on organizations, decoding culture, culture classifications and stereotyping, developing intercultural intelligence. Week 3 - Communication. Communication and its impact on leadership identity and relationships, managing communication to improve decision making, steps for developing your intercultural communication skills. Week 4 - Motivation. Views on individual motivation, cultural differences in motivation, developing motivation and commitment in teams. Week 5 - Networking. Patterns of interpersonal relationships in/across organizations, strategically developing social networks and social capital, norms for networking across cultures. Week 6 - Conflict. Effective / defective conflict management approaches, dealing with ethical dilemmas. Thanks to the participation of our alumni and of the Bocconi Alumni Association, participants will have practical insights on international leadership. RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND All are welcome! Some prior exposure to basic issues of organizational behavior (communication, decision making, motivation, etc.) is useful, but not required....

AY

Jan 07, 2017

I completed this course while working abroad and I loved it. The course helped be to have a better understanding and respect for different cultures in life and in the work environment.\n\nThank You!

GC

Aug 13, 2018

Very interesting course. Alumni viewpoints, pop-up questions, and interactive dialogues all made the course more engaging. Each video was a good length for informational content and attentiveness.

26 - 50 of 215 Reviews for International Leadership and Organizational Behavior

By Chelsea S

Jul 08, 2016

This course provides such a different perspective on the types of relationships we foster. I really do appreciate the interactive way in which the lecturer conveyed his material. I would definitely recommend this course to everyone whose willing to get out of the box!

By Hikmat G

Dec 09, 2016

I really liked this course . Course is full of information and their practice,so it is beneficial . However, teacher speaks a little bit fast and i think this case is root of his nationality :) Anyway it is not a big problem.

Thanks for everything!

By Francesco A

Jan 20, 2016

I found this course very interesting, a good teach that keeps your attention along all the videos, with a lot of external material (papers, videos, web page) useful to improve your knowledge. Thanks to all the people that have worked on this course.

By Selin K

Oct 11, 2016

One of the best courses I had in Coursera: realistic, smart, sourceful. Especially appreciated Mr. Wohlgezogen not reading from a screen like a robot as most online courses' instructors do. Great tips for professional life. Strongly recommended :)

By rolf s

Jan 14, 2020

As retired Hotel Director having workrd in several countries , various cultures and different continents, I ralated well to the lectureres. I brought back a lot of experiences and definitivelly increased my knowledge and enriched my experience

By khalidussaincy@gmail.com

Nov 06, 2015

This course precise the whole leadershıp knowledge to finalize at a point that '' how an affective leader should be'' this course can proof an excellent guidance for those who are new and also for those already practicing in leadership career.

By Karina A F

Aug 26, 2019

I loved the course, the professor has a very clear way to make himself clear about every aspect of leadership. I'm grateful with him because each video was super well prepared. I learned a lot and I know this is going to help me in my career.

By leonardo m s f

May 30, 2018

The content was fantastic. The way that the professor conduct the course was very didactic. All the scenarios and examples were very useful and for sure made great insights in order to follow this hard theme that is International Leadership.

By Pramod K S

Nov 15, 2019

This is really good course I ever learned. Because in this course I got more knowledge about Industry & Culture. I learned how culture affects our communications etc. thank you for given me this opportunity to take this course.

By Mónica M C

Mar 04, 2020

Even when I work as a leader and with leadership development for many years, I have learnt a lot during this course. Many insights and models that can lead to very interesting discussions. Thanks a lot for sharing! Great job!

By Daniela B

May 28, 2016

I found this course very informative, insightful and well organized; very useful also for people having "some" years of work experience to whom may open new perspectives.

Congratulation to the professor for an excellent work.

By Sanjana M

Nov 12, 2015

I just completed Week 1 but this course brings together all information I have been reading about leadership. I love the explanations, research information, and extra links and resources offered. Thank you so much!!!!

By Yogesh C

May 23, 2018

Adds a good value in your bank of knowledge. It triggers as a start point to go on and start building the things based on the course rather than dictating 'the best theory' . Thanks for the providing the course.

By Esmaeel A

May 04, 2019

Great course, there is so many valuable and profound subject which could be crucial to the efficiency in a local and multinational workplace. The instructor is great as well. Glad I took this course. :)

By Johan S

Apr 25, 2016

Enjoyed it very much. Franz is a great speaker and gave insight in a very pedagogical manner. He's a speed talker though, so I had trouble going above 1.5 playback speed :). Great infographics as well.

By Ginamarie Z C

Aug 13, 2018

By Rafael E M

Mar 06, 2017

Muy útil de cara a un futuro, donde se premia la empata y el saber comportarse en todos los aspectos de la vida. Enseñan técnicas que pueden ayudar a conseguir que seas un buen líder en el futuro.

By Tatiana L

Feb 08, 2017

Great job! You've done a huge job! A lot of speakers, interesting guests/cases/conversation in groups. Presentation are full of info! well structured, vivid and useful! Thank you for your effort!

By Andrea Y

Jan 07, 2017

Thank You!

By Skalidis S

Apr 28, 2017

Great course from end to end! Really interesting topics covered. Unlike other management courses on this platform it didn't just touch the surface on topics but also provided concrete examples

By Nitish A

Aug 25, 2019

Loved the way the course is structured and delivered by faculty of Bocconi. Thank you for making this an enjoyable course with a lot of insights and examples to understand the material.

By Alessandro B

Mar 17, 2020

Excellent course, well organised and structured, a very talented trainer. The best online course I have ever had. It confirms the excellent reputation of Bocconi management school.

By Simon G

Aug 21, 2017

Brilliant course! Well structured and presented. I've been an expatriate in Asia and Middle East for 8 years and I wish I could have studied this before I started. Well done Franz!

By Marcos M O

Mar 07, 2017

I think it is a really useful course and is very well focused not only to lead groups and companies in an international environment but in the local environment, congratulations

By Sandy S

Sep 10, 2017

It has been a great experiences. I never thought this course would be teaching like this, really really way above organization and contents. Thank you Frez and all stakeholders !