Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC
Jun 6, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

326 - 350 of 528 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Felipe d j C H

Mar 7, 2019

Recommended you learn a lot with contemporary painters, I really like congratulations to all

By Rubén M M

Nov 12, 2018

A very interesting course if you are interested in art, painting and abstract expressionism.

By carter t

Feb 1, 2018

Excellent techniques, context, and history. Very interesting and nicely put together course.

By peyman s

Apr 21, 2018

Fantastic insight into many artists I knew very little about & styles that I wasnt aware of

By Martin H

Oct 11, 2017

This is a fun and informative course, especially if you participate in the studio exercises

By Sandy L

Jun 12, 2017

Loved it. Well presented with valuable exercises. I learned a lot and look forward to more.

By Maria M

Jul 20, 2020

Amazing.. Im sad I have no classes left.. I hope there will be more courses like this one.

By Catherine I

May 24, 2017

I liked that the technical aspects were discussed. This was great for me as a beginner!

By Sean S

May 5, 2018

This might have been one of the most interesting art courses I ever took. Really great!

By Evangelia H

Apr 6, 2021

Great course, got familiar with techniques I did not know, very good work by learners.

By Be R s

Dec 4, 2020

great course would definitely like a full list of supplies after every artist lesson

By Martijn d L

Jul 17, 2017

Excellent introductions, great teacher and very motivating course.

Highly recommended!

By Maria E R

May 25, 2017

totalmente recomendable. Un curso para sacarle provecho a cada video, a cada lectura.

By Jennifer U

May 28, 2017

Amazing course...I hope this guy teaches more courses!! I would sign up immediately!

By Monica P

Jan 7, 2019

Corey D'Augustine is a great instructor, and the course was very well put together!

By Soheir G

Sep 7, 2020

I learnt a lot from this course and enjoyed it. Everything about it was fantastic.

By Edina S

Jul 12, 2020

Unique art education programme offering both theoretical and practical knowledge!

By Cherie B

Jul 4, 2020

An outstanding experience! Informative, inspiring and engaging. Thank you MOMA.

By Renato S

Aug 17, 2017

just started this course, i think is phenomenal, helsp with techniques and theory

By Kanak K

Aug 2, 2020

Excellent course and superb teacher Corey.Highly recommend this course.Thank you

By Selin P

Jun 18, 2020

it was a great course, I learned a lot, fun a lot and it was really well planed.

By Ayari G

Jul 31, 2017

Excellent! Worth doing all the studio exercises to make the most of the course.

By Elli M

Aug 10, 2017

Amazing course! I learned so much ! I definitely recommend it ! Thank you MOMA!

By Stuart W

Jul 31, 2020

Fantastic instructor and an exceptionally well formulated and presented course

By Cambi M

Feb 19, 2021

Cory did great job. Was perfect balance of studio and historical information.