Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

CG

Feb 25, 2019

This is the best art class I have ever taken. It offers a perfect mix of studio art/painting techniques and art history. Instructor Corey D'Augustine is fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

KG

Apr 17, 2019

I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this course. It has proved useful in boosting my confidence in studying, as well as providing me with inspiration for my own work, both in painting and ceramics.

76 - 100 of 265 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Roman B

Apr 26, 2017

Excellent course. Very unusual approach of the course presenter showing how the artist actually created their paintings clearly made me to remember the names, styles and techniques. I hope MOMA would introduce similar courses about other remarkable art

By Daniella R

May 27, 2017

I really enjoyed this enriching and inspiring course. The material shared is so valuable and the teachers and exponents are really good. A life changing experience to learn to observe an artwork, exploring deeper into the artists' lives and vision.

By Glenis S

Jun 09, 2018

An exceptional course. We learned about postwar Abstract Artists but also got to see videos showing how they did their paintings. Plus there were slideshows of the artists' career in eight works. Corey d'Agustine was great at teaching. I loved it.

By Michael A

Mar 13, 2019

Cory D'Auguestine is so adept in both his analysis and executions in the studio. I wish there were more courses like this. It allowed me to work in the manner of many artists that i admired growing in appreciation for the process and methodology.

By Stacy N

Nov 14, 2018

This was a really great course. The subject matter was very interesting, the instruction was outstanding and the studio work was very helpful for technique and process. I enjoyed it thoroughly and have more appreciation for abtract expressionism.

By Maxine C

Jun 18, 2018

I learned so much valuable information from this course; information and ideas that I will never forget. I got an opportunity to expand the avenues of expression within my art and that to me is priceless. Thank you MOMA and thank you Coursera.

By Patricia G

Feb 20, 2018

This has been an excellent course that I would strongly recommend. I have learned so much during the 8 weeks that it will now be approaching my new paintings in a completely different light. Thank you for this wonderful experience.

By Milene D

Aug 10, 2017

I really loved this class! Everything was explained in a way that was easy for me to understand. Through the artwork of the artists focused upon in the syllabus I was able to 'see', create and experience art differently.

Thanks!!

By Natalya S

Jul 19, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed the videos and course content. Lecturer was a knowledgeable and engaging speaker. Highly recommend to anyone interested in learning about techniques and concepts of well known abstract artists from 20th c.

By luca s

Jan 23, 2018

Please spend time on this course, it is not only about the artists' ideas, the practical side is how the different painters created their style very interesting. Even when it looks simple there is a lot of craft behind it!

By Cheryl

May 18, 2017

I felt it was really helpful to get to know and practice the artists' techniques, even if for the ones who don't paint and don't intend to paint. Contemporary art needs guide and explanation more than other kind of art.

By Andrew E

Dec 01, 2017

Excellent course. Material was concise. Videos were truly excellent and to the point. Easily manageable across a busy week and I learned much more than I anticipated. Heartily recommended. Look forward to the next!

By Pamela J R

May 15, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have done. I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates art. I will never look at the work of these artists in the same way again, this course has certainly opened up my eyes!

By Rosa P

Jul 22, 2017

I loved taking this course. I learnt a lot about the artists, mediums and techniques. Corey makes it really interesting and easy to follow. I would definitely take another class like this in the future. Thanks!

By Melinda B

May 23, 2017

The course was inspirational! I loved learning not only the history of Postwar Abstract Painting, and an appreciation of the art works, but also the techniques used by many of the artists. Great instruction!

By Petra C

Apr 22, 2018

This was a fantastic course, so interesting with superb resources. I particularly enjoyed the painting demonstrations and the film clips of discussions about the art works. A first rate course. Thank you!

By Marcia F

Mar 09, 2018

This course is an incredible investigative journey of materials and processes which leads to a greater appreciation for the context in which Abstract Expressionist were working in the mid 20th century.

By Valerie L V

May 22, 2017

Amazing course, precise but deep at the same time, beautifully designed with a really interesting selection of painters. Corey is a GREAT teacher, very clear, very smart and inspiring. I enjoyed a lot!

By Arthur D W

Feb 26, 2018

This course will inform you about painting techniques (trust me, it isn't as simple as it looks!) and improve your ability to think and write critically and concisely about art (it's also fun!).

By Amy S

Oct 04, 2019

Well-designed course; interesting material, including optional readings. The studio demonstrations and accompanying exercises were very helpful to my own art work. Excellent overall; thank you.

By Karl D G

Apr 17, 2019

By Nikka

Jul 19, 2017

I felt that I learned so much on this course. It gave me a deeper understanding of the works of each artist when I knew more of their process and had the chance to use these skills on my own.

By Bárbara P

Jul 15, 2017

This is a really amazing course. I've learnt a lot about Abstract Expressionism, but also about visual analysis and work appreciation. I absolutely recommend it. Corey is a brilliant teacher.

By Annesha P

May 17, 2017

Excellent course which taught me how to appreciate abstract paintings. I also learned about some of the prominent painters, techniques and materials of the Abstract Expressionist movement.

By Arijit D

Apr 29, 2018

This course was very well structured, and the instructor's personal and often humorous approach was informative and engaging, covering very complex subject matter in an accessible way.