Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

CG

Feb 25, 2019

This is the best art class I have ever taken. It offers a perfect mix of studio art/painting techniques and art history. Instructor Corey D'Augustine is fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

KG

Apr 17, 2019

I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this course. It has proved useful in boosting my confidence in studying, as well as providing me with inspiration for my own work, both in painting and ceramics.

76 - 100 of 243 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Barbara K

Mar 27, 2018

Wonderful course! The combination of art studio materials and techniques and background information about the artists created a nice balance. Really enjoyed this course!

By Sabera P

Jan 19, 2018

Fantastic Course. I am so glad to have stumbled upon this course. Professor Corey Augustine is a great teacher. His method is flawless and he has carefully curated the courseware to include some noteworthy artists. Thank you Professor. Thank you Coursera

By lei w

Dec 11, 2017

Best class I have ever taken. It is a rare opportunity for me who lives in China to be able to take a class from MOMA. I truly appreciate it.

By stephen r

Jul 14, 2017

Enjoyed the Course. Picked up some new techniques for my art works

By James S

Jun 12, 2017

Excellent course! Having the opportunity to paint like the artists adds so much insight and meaning to the experience. Thanks Corey!

By Marie L F

Feb 26, 2018

What a phenomenal course. Corey D'Augustine is so clear and thorough in the presentation of his vast knowledge. I look forward to more of his courses.

By belinda h

Jun 19, 2017

Thank you so much for offering this class! This is an excellent organized in depth course. Corey D'Augustine provides wonderful educational videos that offered insight into these artist's works, their techniques and the materials that they used - I loved it! Part of being a great teacher is engaging your students -- I was excited to do the assignments and to see what lesson was next! Finishing the course has brought a greater appreciation for the artist's works while also prompting me to apply their techniques to my own painting. I will be looking to more courses from Mr.D'Augustine!

By SueC

May 30, 2017

I will admit that I am not a fan of abstract painting and that was one of the reasons I enrolled upon this course. I wanted to try and look again, and to attempt to see what others saw who were more enthusiastic about abstract expressionism.

The course covered not only the history of the movement but also the studio techniques of the various artists were demonstrated and you could `paint along' too. The visual analysis techniques were invaluable. While I am still not a total convert I do now take the time to look and think when I see the work of these artists. Thank you for providing an interesting and thought provoking course. More like this please!

By Jorge A M

Dec 20, 2017

A very interesting course where it is conjugated with rigor, both practice and theory, in a pleasant and balanced way.

A highly recommended course.

By Cheryl

May 18, 2017

I felt it was really helpful to get to know and practice the artists' techniques, even if for the ones who don't paint and don't intend to paint. Contemporary art needs guide and explanation more than other kind of art.

By Ayari G

Jul 31, 2017

Excellent! Worth doing all the studio exercises to make the most of the course.

By Luciana A N

Jun 06, 2017

Exceed my expectations in every way. Having an instructor deeply knowledgeable and passionate about painting techniques - and not just how they fit into this or that movement - allowed for a much deeper understanding of the paintings, from a perspective entirely new to me. I know a lot about art, from what I see in museums and from avid reading on the topic. But to see them all come to life with brushes and paints... that was awesome and made me much more appreciative of the work involved in each artwork. I'll be rewatching some of the videos, for sure. Please do a 2nd installment!

By Paul B

Dec 24, 2017

Crystal clear lectures and fantastic demos by Corey D'Augustine. The readings are often superb but the museum lectures can be a bit droll. Either way, the real magic occurs when you pick up the paint brush and get to work on a canvas. The magic in working :in the style of" is a great way of learning and training oneself to free up the creative flow. I recommend this course even to those who have never painted before!

By Roberto B F

Aug 18, 2017

Awesome!

By amanda m

May 31, 2018

So interesting and Corey is knowledgable and engaging.

By Andrew R

May 22, 2017

Loved the demonstrations of how the painters featured may have approached/undertaken/achieved their individual results.

By Juliana M

Aug 14, 2017

I did not know a lot about Abstract Painting, but I loved the courses of MoMA and decided to do anyways. I was extremely surprised by the quality of the content and how the course inspires us to deepen the study about the New York School. I was fascinated by the theme and started to create paintings inspired by the artists and read more about the subject. I could not be more pleased with this course.

By Khursheed R

Sep 05, 2017

Excellent course! Techniques and materials used by each artist is well explained and demonstrated. This course helped me in understanding abstract art from a different perspective.

By Charles X

Oct 24, 2017

Great experience with to course. I started like AbEx after the course.

By billcat88@comcast.net

Feb 10, 2018

i loved the course leader a lot and was excited to to learn and participate. i learned a lot and was motivated to try new thing in painting. i have wanted to do abstract painting for years but have been afraid to try it. the course opened new doors for me. I know my painting is going to be evolve and improve after this course. thank you Corey D'Augustine! i hope your will do another soon.

By Red M

Jan 24, 2018

I'm a Coursera student for two years ago. In this time I became a professionale painter. To be honest, I thought that he could not teach me much that I did not know, but I love abstract expressionism and I paint in abstract material and so I decided to follow him. It was a wonderful discovery. The teacher and artist is a beautiful person, with a subtle and pleasant sense of humor, a high level of preparation and a person who knows how to teach. It was one of the most beautiful courses I've ever done, the artists are among my favorites and discovering them so closely has been moving. I recommend it to anyone who loves art. Really beautiful.

By Julia H

Oct 25, 2017

I love this course and am getting a new and deeper understanding of art from this period. Even though i studied art at university and am a painter myself, I still learned new things about the technique of these artists. The video on DeKooning's "Woman 1" was incredible. Great that an art conservator teaches this because you get in depth information about how the paintings were constructed from the canvas up.

By Spencer E T

Dec 30, 2017

Instructor was very knowledgable and friendly

By Elli M

Aug 10, 2017

Amazing course! I learned so much ! I definitely recommend it ! Thank you MOMA!

By Valeriya V