Back to The Changing Landscape of Ancient Rome. Archaeology and History of the Palatine Hill

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Changing Landscape of Ancient Rome. Archaeology and History of the Palatine Hill by Sapienza University of Rome

4.3

Studying ancient - as well as medieval or modern - cities basically means telling local urban stories based on the reconstruction of changing landscapes through the centuries. Given the fragmentary nature of archaeological evidence, it is necessary to create new images that would give back the physical aspect of the urban landscape and that would bring it to life again. We are not just content with analyzing the many elements still visible of the ancient city. The connections between objects and architectures, visible and non visible buildings, which have been broken through time have to be rejoined, to acknowledge the elements that compose the urban landscape. Landscape and its content are a very relevant and still vital part of any national cultural heritage. The course will introduce students to the way we have been reflecting on over the last twenty years and still are engaged with the study of the past of our cities, beginning from the most complex case in the ancient Mediterranean World: the core of Italy and of Roman Empire. On the other hand, knowledge means also preservation and defense of material remains and cultural memory. “The Changing Landscape of Ancient Rome. Archeology and History of the Palatine Hill” presents to a large public the topographical lay-out of the most relevant part of the city (according the Greek and Roman Historians Rome was founded on the Palatine). Research developed on the Palatine since the end of last century by the team of Sapienza Classical Archaeologists opened a new phase in the urban archaeological investigation and in the scientific debate about the relation between archaeological features and literary tradition as well as the “correct use“ of both kind of evidence, key issues of wide archaeological and historical significance....

CS
Mar 21, 2018

I’m now living in Siena so visiting Roma and it’s wonderful ancient architecture especially the Roman forum and the palatine hill has new excitement and knowledge for me.

JC
May 1, 2018

I appreciate the opportunity to learn the history of Rome and how it became the marvel city it is today . I will enjoy a lot more my next trip to Rome. Thank you .

26 - 50 of 90 Reviews for The Changing Landscape of Ancient Rome. Archaeology and History of the Palatine Hill

By David H

Mar 30, 2020

I went from knowing very little about this time in history to knowing quite a lot by the end. The course was full of easy to understand topics and covered all areas as necessary. I found this course very good and full of very useful info.

By william s

Apr 17, 2018

Outstanding course. This course gave me a deeper understanding and appreciation for the evolution of the Roman Forum, centering around the Palatine Hill. The course has inspired me to continue my research into this phase of Roman culture.

By Kristina P T

Jun 25, 2020

Its incredible how one hill can be a microcosm for the Roman Empire. I thoroughly enjoyed Professor Carafa's course, and appreciated the careful explanations and detail he offered on the material. The course material was fascinating.

By Cecilia C

Jul 28, 2017

This Course is very interesting! Professor Carafa is very thorough and dedicated, it was a pleasure to listen to him! I especially liked the balance between the "on site " and the "auditorium" lectures! Thank you so much!

By E. S S

Sep 21, 2017

Fascinating course detailing the ancient building structures on the Roman Palatine Hill. As an architect, I greatly appreciated the knowledge and invitation to experience the metamorphoses of monuments and structures.

By Júlio C M d F

Nov 6, 2017

This course was fantastic ! Congratulations to Professor Paolo Carafa and Coursera. Thank you very much for this worderful course ! I learn very much with it. Julio César (from Brazil)

By Cathryn S

Mar 22, 2018

By juan a c

May 2, 2018

By LOKHANDWALA A H

Jul 8, 2020

The course is a good blend of entertaining and educational. You learn a tremendous amount about Rome and the architecture in that particular part of the city.

By 黄中

Oct 28, 2019

A very good course to know some archaeological and architecutral knowledge about Rome. The assignments are a little hard but it is fine. A good course anyway.

By Rosa M M Z

Sep 21, 2020

Excellent...!!!!! I enjoyed all the history and archaeology of ancient Rome... I want to visit Rome again to see all I've learned..!!!!

By Spencer P

May 13, 2020

It was fun and challenging and Prof. Carafa is a very good teacher. I hope to find more history courses from Sapienza University

By Davina S

Feb 28, 2020

I really enjoyed all the videos in this course! I hope to find more from this professor on this topic soon.

Thank you! Grazie

By JOHN Q

Jul 28, 2017

Very interesting course and much necessary to continue an interest I have in learning about Ancient Rome. Thanks so much!

By Rob v d B

Jan 28, 2018

Very good indepth overiew of the history of Rome. Been there often but will look at it differently next time i visit it.

By simon w

Jul 10, 2020

An excellent course that makes me want to return to the Palatine to see what I missed last time. Highly recommended

By Maria J M S

Dec 7, 2018

Un curso bastante interesante. Un nuevo punto de vista sobre el Palatino y su relación con la historia de Roma

By Richard P

Oct 8, 2019

Good course. Learned alot about Palatine Hill. Wish I would have taken it before I went to Rome

By Melissa E

Oct 24, 2020

An in-depth introduction in the history of the Palatine hill and archaeology of Ancient Rome.

By susan

Aug 25, 2017

Loved it and went with Roman Art and architecture very well. Teacher was excellent!!

By Virginija G

Sep 16, 2020

i really liked the course. The information provided to students was indeed useful.

By Simon C

Aug 10, 2017

Thank you very much for such an informative course. Very enjoyable.

By Demétrio G C d T

Sep 7, 2020

Excellent course, excellent professor!

By SAHIL P

Jul 14, 2020

This course is the best one..

By Jennifer L

Jun 13, 2020

Loved this course, thank you!