Back to Classical papers in molecular genetics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Classical papers in molecular genetics by University of Geneva

You have all heard about the DNA double helix and genes. Many of you know that mutations occur randomly, that the DNA sequence is read by successive groups of three bases (the codons), that many genes encode enzymes, and that gene expression can be regulated. These concepts were proposed on the basis of astute genetic experiments, as well as often on biochemical results. The original articles were these concepts appeared are however not frequently part of the normal curriculum of biologists, biochemists and medical students. This course proposes to read study and discuss a small selection of these classical papers, and to put these landmarks in their historical context. Most of the authors displayed interesting personal histories and many of their contributions go beyond not only the papers we will read but probably all their scientific papers. Our understanding of the scientific process, of the philosophy underlying the process of scientific discovery, and on the integration of new concepts is not only important for the history of science but also for the mental development of creative science....

VV

The professor was excellent and dedicated. I request the professor to take a course on fundamental papers in Biochemistry.\n\nThank you professor Dominique!

BP

Jun 19, 2019

Excellent course. It helped me a lot in understanding the classical experiments in detail.

26 - 41 of 41 Reviews for Classical papers in molecular genetics

By Manoj K S

Mar 31, 2019

Excellent learning during the course

By KALYESUBULA M

Mar 22, 2017

Informative, mind opening and unique

By José G N B

Mar 15, 2017

Fascinating and engaging course!

By Luis A N B

Mar 28, 2016

Superb!

By Paul C H

Jul 23, 2018

Interesting course which gives an appreciation of the huge achievements made by the pioneers in molecular genetics. It took me a long time to complete this, but it was worth persevering with. The quizzes are challenging. Some of the papers were behind paywalls or the links were no longer valid which was a bit frustrating.

By Glynis R C A

Jun 19, 2017

Very interesting topics! Gave me a new perspective on things. It's easy to take for granted the amount of knowledge we have know. This course puts things into perspective. I have also learned values which could help me in my career as a scientist.

By Mark H

Nov 07, 2017

it is a very good course, well led and directed by Professor Belin. The issues relate to the lack of activity in the forums and the assessment tasks which deviate from the material covered.

By Megha K

Oct 19, 2017

Excellent course content and delivery.

By Paola M A

Apr 30, 2020

Hello!

The course topic is very interesting but the quality of the subtitles is mediocre.

If you need help to review or write the English, French or Italian subtitles of Biology/Genetics/Biochemistry/Chemistry/ Medicine etc... courses I'll be glad to help. Should I get in touch with a specific department ?

Stay safe and happy,

Paola Malaspina Antinori

By John K

Aug 06, 2016

Several papers for the course are behind pay walls. No one seems to monitor the forums on an ongoing basis. As someone new to the field of molecular genetics, I took the course to learn about the seminal work. I found the context and explanations by the professor to be very helpful.

By Mustafa A A

Aug 30, 2019

Course was very informative an interesting, but needed to read long papers which didn't need to be there, as most concepts were well explained in videos. also its a bit of high level knowledge for high school students

By Michael H

Aug 04, 2020

I only got into the second week, and I decided to drop this course. I did not wish to devote any more time to it.

I was hoping to hear some good stories of the history of science. And I was looking for some understandable explanations of complicated material, but I was disappointed in several ways.

The explanations were sometimes clear and sometimes not. The illustrations were not particularly good and vastly too complex for me to follow. They were mostly pulled from textbooks and papers and were not adapted specifically to the online environment. It seemed like they were not used because they were good examples for teaching, but because they were readily available.

The transcription was autogenerated by a transcribing engine and had many mistakes and misspellings, including the names of the scientists, proteins and enzymes. No one had taken the time to read the transcription and make the needed corrections.

The technical aspects of the course...the audio quality and the video quality...were good.

I still like the topic and the idea of using this topic in a Coursera course. But the execution of the teaching was not good enough to warrant spending much time on this.