Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

426 - 450 of 563 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Nav3ty

Apr 7, 2020

Excellent course, Fantastic Instructor.

By Jackie F

Mar 14, 2017

Fantastic! I want a 2.0 version Please!

By Jennifer W

Super animated and dynamic instructor!

By Sammer K

Mar 25, 2020

My poetry is on a whole new level now!

By Geiber E P C

Apr 22, 2019

Very nice, very nice. Doug is great!

By Ammar M H

Oct 30, 2017

Very concrete, focused and applicable.

By Sarah S

Dec 1, 2017

Great no-cost online poetry workshop.

By Jill B

Jul 19, 2020

fantastic and enthusiastic teacher

By Satyajit G

Jan 16, 2017

A must course for budding poets!!!

By Chanelle W

Mar 15, 2016

This course is really FUNdamental.

By ASAD B

Jul 19, 2018

Amazing. Best for learning poetry

By Margarita C

Jun 25, 2018

Amazing!!! I am learning so much!

By PALASHA S

Jun 29, 2016

Amazing tips for perfect poetry.

By Josafat C

Apr 3, 2020

I really enjoyed the workshop.

By Mario G

Apr 17, 2016

Great ...Awesome...lots of fun

By Elianna P

Jul 3, 2017

Very educational and hands on

By Casey Z

May 19, 2017

Absolutely LOVED this course!

By kuldeep k

Jun 25, 2021

Best course to learn poetry.

By C M

Oct 20, 2015

This is a very good class.

By Mônica M

Jul 8, 2020

Awesome beginners course

By Clara R

Sep 30, 2018

Kind of magic and fun :D

By Baboucarr C