Back to Pro Tools Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Pro Tools Basics by Berklee College of Music

Producing music is an incredibly creative process, and knowing the tools of the trade is essential in order to transmit the musical ideas in your head into the DAW in a creative and uninhibited way. Whether you have used a computer to create music before, or you have been curious about production for years, this 4-week course will give you an introductory look into the world of Avid Pro Tools and Pro Tools First....

AP
Jul 26, 2020

This is Ashish From Indian(Gujarat).I am new student for this course.I really enjoyed a session. specially Chrissy Tignor maam teaching fantastic.I really enjoyed a lot to her session.\n\nthank you.

M
Jul 9, 2020

Amazing instructor and lot of knowledge to be gained. One of the best course to learn about any DAW. Specially the mixing and mastering course material was helpful to make the track sound amazing.

151 - 175 of 176 Reviews for Pro Tools Basics

By Nicky L P

Oct 3, 2016

Great introduction to Pro Tools even for the seasoned amatuer who's been playing around with DAWs. I now have basic skills with Pro Tools, plus my editing and mixing skills have improved. This course won't make you a pro but it's a great introduction and well worth your time if you're a newbie or have stalled in your amatuer persuits. **thumbs up**

By Jose A L J

Mar 22, 2017

Great introduction course. Unfortunately the Protools free version is very weak and limited. After I finished the course there was no motivation to go ahead with so many limitations in the SW. I can't even create more than 3 songs :-( Besides that, the ProTools price is too high to buy it for personal use.

By Bruno A

Jul 15, 2017

I found very limiting when the course proposes for us to have to use synth and samplers.

Some people produces different sound and need to get adopt really quickly to do something reasonable.

I believe that configuration and path could be inserted in a PDF as instruction .

By david b

Jul 15, 2016

Great Course. I wish there was more lessons as to how to record acoustic instruments (guitar, piano,drums). I did not know anything about Pro Tools before course, and now I am able to setup a simple recording session. thanks

By Clare M

Feb 11, 2018

Really good solid points to take away and work on. Definitely worth the time and effort. I now have key things to work on that seems achievable moving forward.

By Eric L

Nov 4, 2019

Excellent! I learned a ton of really useful and important info about using ProTools and DAW’s in general. The live recording demos were great!

By Colleen T

May 22, 2017

Really fun course. Especially nice to take right after the Technology of Music Production, which was very theoretical.

By Sergio G

Oct 9, 2016

Is a great course for musicians, producers and composer. It's a great DAW

By Juan D S

Jun 9, 2016

Some creative stereo FX will be better for the course

By Angelene M S V

Mar 24, 2016

Complicated things made so easy to understand!

By Vasco R M B

Jan 29, 2017

a little too short but good

By Lofi A

Feb 29, 2016

Muy bueno.

By Adila T S

Jul 16, 2020

While this course teaches a lot about the basic uses and tweaks of a DAW, the softwares instruments, audio mixing and mastering, for those who don't own the full version of Pro Tools or the other required things like a MIDI Controller/Keyboard, an audio interface or a usb microphone etc things can get challenging. But it isnt impossible to do, there are ways I could work my way around those challenges, but I did purchases a MIDI keyboard to help me work faster. Specially in the last week's peer graded assignment there's one point for using synthesizers which aren't available in Pro Tools First, which I felt was very unjust given that at the start of the course they claim that this course is compatible with Pro Tools First.

By Marcos F

Jun 18, 2019

Se demoró mucho en recibir calificación, al punto que di de baja la suscripción... Alguien encargado del curso debería supervisar que se estén recibiendo las co-evaluaciones y cuando no las hay o se demoran más de 48 horas , calificar, de lo contrario parece que quisieran que pasara esto para recaudar más fondos.

By Eric B

Oct 30, 2016

Standart indutrie DAW, but not my favorite. Good performance from the teach! I had many issue with pro Tools first, be sure to get a full vertion and an iLok key from avid before enrolling, will save much stress and trouble.

By Michał R

Only 3 stars, I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping to learn more on mastering and here I heard only that "mastering is basically to make the track louder". Well that's far from "enough" in this matter.

By Pablo S L B

Jul 7, 2017

Interesting if you already have experience with any other DAW and want to switch.

By Sanil L

Feb 14, 2018

Awesome

By Corey B

Jul 3, 2020

I'm rating this course a 2 star not because of the teacher, which seems very knowledgable and teaches at a great pace, but rather because of Pro Tools. It took way too much time just to get it installed (I'm on a Mac, and the Free version isn't compatible). The license manager wouldn't sync using Safari, so I had to use Firefox. Then once I got it installed, Pro Tools doesn't come with Xpat. I've spent several hours trying to find the download then where to place the file so Pro Tools sees it. Beyond frustrating. If you know Pro Tools already, I'm sure you'll learn a ton, but for me, the configuration issues were a bit too much.

By Timothy C

Jun 22, 2016

Although it is a very informative class and Chrissy is a good teacher, I am finding this class to be EXTREMELY troublesome unless one possesses the means to purchase a great deal of equipment and product to work within Pro Tools. It should be noted that Pro Tools First (the "FREE" version I downloaded) is a DETRIMENT to learning in this course and will effect your grade negatively. I am also dismayed by the lack of community participation in the forums. On other Berklee / Coursera classes, this hasn't been nearly as much of a problem.

By Guilherme P R

Oct 5, 2016

For a course with the name "Pro Tool Basics", I was expecting some specific knowledge about this particular software but what the course really teaches is basic music production things (samples, synthesizers, how to create tracks, how to record audio, compressors, EQs, etc).

As I am already a music producer using Logic Pro, I was hoping to learn more about the software itself and its differences in comparison with other DAWs in the market, so I was a little bit disappointed in the end!

By Matt R

The Pro Tools First application did not work on my PC. I tried finding workarounds but it just didn't work. I could never hear any sound. I had to stop participating in the course, as a result.

By Michael F

Aug 30, 2020

Good course, but I do not appreciate forcing students to learn about Pro Tools just to earn a specialization in Music Production.