Back to Python Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Basics by University of Michigan

This course introduces the basics of Python 3, including conditional execution and iteration as control structures, and strings and lists as data structures. You'll program an on-screen Turtle to draw pretty pictures. You'll also learn to draw reference diagrams as a way to reason about program executions, which will help to build up your debugging skills. The course has no prerequisites. It will cover Chapters 1-9 of the textbook "Fundamentals of Python Programming," which is the accompanying text (optional and free) for this course. The course is for you if you're a newcomer to Python programming, if you need a refresher on Python basics, or if you may have had some exposure to Python programming but want a more in-depth exposition and vocabulary for describing and reasoning about programs. This is the first of five courses in the Python 3 Programming Specialization....

NR

Oct 18, 2019

It's a must join course for the people who want to deep dive into the world of Python. I really loving this course very much. I wanna explore more hence opting for other parts of this specialization.

RG

Apr 12, 2020

This course is very good for beginners. The content and flow of the course is amazing. online practice tool to run our codes online without installing any software makes is even more user friendly.

126 - 150 of 1,706 Reviews for Python Basics

By Edward W

Jan 05, 2020

Very well designed course. I had previously taken Python for Everybody Specialization. I wanted to go through the basics again but with more detail and practice as the syntax was tripping me up. The lectures, interactive workbook, exercises, practices and assignments really cemented my knowledge and now its all fitting together. I can't wait for the next course in the specialization.

By Leon L

Jul 04, 2019

Videos and readings were sufficient to learn the subject matter. I am between a beginner and intermediate level in my overall understanding of python so this was a great opportunity for me to review and clarify the basics of python. However, the test questions were at time challenging and required creative use of the underlying subject matter. I would recommend this course.

By Christoph M

Mar 30, 2020

I can recommend you this course without reservations. The interactive course material is well done and challenging, and the sympathetic presenters explain things well. This course gives you access to the material of the University of Michigan itself. Not all of it is required to complete the course, but I recommend to do the extra work because programming is all about practice.

By Aman

Jan 15, 2020

IT IS THE BEST COURSE AND IT IS DESIGNED VERY WELL FOR STUDENTS WE HAVE TO WORK HARD BY OUR SELF AND THIS LECTURE IS WELL ENHANCED THAT WE DON'T NEED TO REFER TO DIFFERENT SOURCES .ONLY WE HAVE TO SOLVE AS MANY PROBLEMS AS WE CAN AND THIS IS BEST THING OF THIS COURSE THAT WE GET AMPLE OF CONCEPTS IN A DESIGNED MANNER AND WE NEED ONLY TO PRACTICE TO USE IT IN OUR PROBLEMS.

By Jerbie d l C

Sep 29, 2019

This course gave me a solid understanding of the basics. The lessons are paced well and all assignments/tests are challenging and exciting! I would recommend this to anyone who would like to dive in headfirst to the world of programming. I actually took this course to prepare before I take Data Science Courses, and this course definitely gave me the courage to pursue my plans

By Josh J

Jul 13, 2019

After finishing Dr. Chuck's course, this is the next one to take. It will take longer to complete, but you will have many more hands-on assignments to work on. All of the practice questions are useful (except some of the turtle program stuff). I feel more confident now with the basics of lists and for loops than I had. Overall, it was a great course for my skill level.

By Evan A

Dec 21, 2019

Very well done course! The videos were all very helpful and straight forward without going off into the deep end.

My only suggestion would be to add a page with a list of all the Python functions that are learned each week. It was a little annoying going through every video or reading in a week trying to find the name of a function if I forgot exactly what it was.

By Mazumdar A

The course has a very well detailed structure. Many examples are given to hone our foundational skills. It gets exhaustive but it should be in that way :). The problems given were very good and it helps us to understand the concept very clearly. The videos, assignments and the practice problems ( Runestone Interactive Textbook, in particular) were excellent.

By Alex B

Sep 13, 2019

I've been in the IT field for 20 years--doing infrastructure stuff.. Linux, Microsoft, AWS, NetApp, VMware, Splunk and etc.. I have never been able to REALLy learn a programming language until now.. This course methodology is driving Python programming home..

It's the method of teaching that works well.. I'm blown away! I feel like I have a new super power..

By Fahim R

I think this is the best beginners python course. For me they both help to develop the basic concepts of python as well as the debugging strategy and most importantly though it is a basic python course but it introduces the OOP concept very naturally and smoothly. Highly recommended for the beginners or whoever wants to develop a concrete basic in python.

By Debasish P

Aug 30, 2019

This course is a stepping stone to learn Python and believe me the material and the way of explanation is so simple that even a person with zero knowledge will be able to learn easily.

One small thing wanted to highlight that while doing this course please give all your concentartion into this.

Hope they keep on upgrading the course over the time period.

By Punit K

May 29, 2019

This is one of the best beginner/intermediate courses on programming and python I have pursued. The course does it all to equip you with skills needed to start off as a programmer. Inspired by the engaging way the course brought python to me, I am planning on taking up the companion series of courses through Coursera which cover chapters section-wise.

By John L G T

Apr 19, 2020

the class was really great. they explain to you the basics step by step, even though it takes some time, i understand this beacuse some people cannot grasp the concepts very fast. it was also helpful that there is this online book where you can read the topic again and try it in a virtual python IDE so i dont need to install python on my computer

By Jason J D

Jun 13, 2019

This is one of the best Python courses out there. The course instructors are very involving, and teach in a fantastic manner and at the right pace for a beginner. The course overall also has good reading material and other content for practice. I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn Python.

By Yvette W

Feb 23, 2020

The videos, readings (which reinstate the videos), the questions in the readings, and the optional questions-per-day are enough to nail down the concepts. The pacing is well done. Bits of information to help you learn without getting overwhelmed. People with lots of programming experience will be able to go through the lessons very quickly.

By Abhinay G

This course in Python is a must for everyone who wants to start learning python. The use and explanations provided by the professors are easy to understand. Runestone application acts as a great platform where the one can practice coding directly in the browser without needing to toggle to python interpreter installed on the computer.

By Syed A I

Mar 24, 2019

I am extremely thankful to the University of Michigan for your extremely detailed and influential course on the subject of Python Basics. I have learnt a lot from this course, and would be thankful to the Team University of Michigan and Team Coursera for the rest of my life for giving me this opportunity to learn from you. Thank you.

By P P K

Jul 08, 2020

One of my dream is to learn python, for which I started working over an year ago. But I could not reach at-least a minimum level, until I found this course on Coursera. I am so fortunate and happy to share that now I am good at Python Programming. Thank you very much to the Professors of University of Michigan and Coursera.

By Abhishek D

Jun 10, 2019

It was a good course .Learnt a lot about loops,conditionals and yes graphics too ! Turtle graphics was fun.

Amazing instructors and syllabus covers all basic topics .

What makes this course different from other python courses is that interactive textbook provided by University of Michigan . That helped me a lot . Thank You.

By Ashwin G

Apr 25, 2020

Excellent course. Everything is taught from basics with well-developed exercises and quizzes. Easy to understand language and very well narrated videos. Though do not expect it to be very deep in programming, as it only a part of the complete python program. I would definitely recommend this for a complete beginner.

By Jason

Apr 28, 2020

this course might be a little confusing if you are absolutely new to programming in python as some explanations aren't given in detail as beginners often need. But I gave it 5 stars because I had previous exposure to python fundamentals before taking this course. Week 4 in the course here was challenge for sure !

By Nalin M C

This has been my first online course and I'm glad to mention that every aspect of the course was perfect in all the ways - may it be video lectures, practice tools and most importantly the exercises and assignments. I will definitely rate it full marks for teaching me such a wonderful language with such an ease.

By Ankit M S

Apr 25, 2020

The course is very good for beginners. It provides an in-depth explanation for each concept. Runestone interactive book is the best place to practice questions and graded exercises have enough problems to make learners get a solid understanding of the concepts. Every little bit of every concept is explained.

By Saurav j

May 07, 2020

I belong to Electronics and telecommunication branch so, I always fear to code. This course help me overcome my fear and I started feeling feel much confident to code,. also, It changed my mind in so many perspectives like you need to learn 3- 4 years mandatory to be a coder. all that, perhaps it isn't.

By Md. H H S B

Apr 25, 2019

This is just awesome for starting python.

I tried some youtube courses and others in Udemy. But believe me this one is way better then those.

The design is this course's contents are perfectly arranged with practice and examples and teachers are highly skilled and their teaching style is also friendly.