Back to Python Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Basics by University of Michigan

This course introduces the basics of Python 3, including conditional execution and iteration as control structures, and strings and lists as data structures. You'll program an on-screen Turtle to draw pretty pictures. You'll also learn to draw reference diagrams as a way to reason about program executions, which will help to build up your debugging skills. The course has no prerequisites. It will cover Chapters 1-9 of the textbook "Fundamentals of Python Programming," which is the accompanying text (optional and free) for this course. The course is for you if you're a newcomer to Python programming, if you need a refresher on Python basics, or if you may have had some exposure to Python programming but want a more in-depth exposition and vocabulary for describing and reasoning about programs. This is the first of five courses in the Python 3 Programming Specialization....

NR

Oct 18, 2019

It's a must join course for the people who want to deep dive into the world of Python. I really loving this course very much. I wanna explore more hence opting for other parts of this specialization.

JB

Aug 11, 2020

This course offers excellent external tools for learning, like the Interactive Textbook and that makes it much more fun and relax to learn. Also Mr Resnick adds his charisma which you cannot forget.

101 - 125 of 2,224 Reviews for Python Basics

By John H

Mar 11, 2019

Subject covered in lessons was very basic compared to the knowledge required to complete the final assessment. I suggest either modifying the final assessment to more closely resemble the practice questions given throughout the course or else to change the course content in order to give students the knowledge they need to complete the final assignment.

By Evans W

Mar 15, 2020

Unbelievable slow and plodding. Videos just tell you how to answer the problems, sometimes all or nearly all of them.

When I had to put it on hold I found that I couldn't progress until I had waited for several months for another "session" -- something I don't believe they made clear would happen. Just dropping the course.

By Harsh T

Jan 06, 2020

you should must give 2 months for the course to complete it and charges alsoe that you taken is for 2months

By Abhishek S

Jun 18, 2020

Completely an admirable and brilliant course for those who want to make a perfect start in python as a beginner. The topics explained by the instructors are crystal clear. A lot of fun and adventure in this course. I personally liked it very much and feel that I would thrive in the world of python now.

The basics are cleared in every module like other python beginner courses, but the audacity of explanation and the ease of learning, along with very sharp programming techniques makes this course different from other courses.

The sub modules like "The Way of the Programmer" enhance your coding skills very well. I too grasped a lot of programming skills from this section. Even the Runestone tool has helped me in building a habit of practice. Overall, this was the best Python beginner's course I have now known.

May 20, 2019

If you have no idea what Python is but you want to know it, and if you have no programming experience, this course is excellent for you.

Frankly speaking, I expected some more challenge, as this course is recommended to take after finishing "Python for Everybody" specialization, but alas.

On the other side, it's called "Python Basics", not "Python Advanced Level" and I learned some new information from this course too (methods causing mutation and creating new objects, aliases, difference between "==" and "is", etc.)

Anyways, this is just the first step of a Python 3 Specialization and it gives you a very solid knowledge of Python fundamentals.

Interactive Textbook used in the course is a great source of knowledge and practice. And videos provided by professors leave no chance to misunderstanding.

By Alexander A A

Apr 30, 2020

This course and the balance of courses 1-4 of the specialization were fantastic - I would highly recommend each. Course 5 (the capstone project) was an abomination. Basically zero instruction / guidance and very frustrating for anybody except decently experienced programmers. If courses 1-4 are your only exposure to Python, you could easily spend a month or more on this project. If getting the Specialization Certificate is very important to you, there are resources online that you can leverage to complete the project but that is done largely at the expense of any real learning, so I really hope UofM comes up with an alternative final project that is more consistent with the level of expertise attained in courses 1-5 (maybe something on implementing classic algorithms?).

By Herath M C N K B

This was a great course. Perfect course for you if you are a beginner in python and have no knowledge on how to start learning. I've tried lots of python courses before coming here. But all of them had the same fate. I either got bored in after listening to some lecture or the pace was too slow. Have to say, after i started watching the videos I kept going forward. The course was well paced and the lecturers were full of spirit. It took me hours to sit through a lesson in my previous course, but it took me only 1 week to finish the entire course.I'm hoping to continue others courses in this specialization. Also,thank you so much for the financial aid. I'm really grateful.

Enjoy the fireworks.(You will know what i mean once you are enrolled in this course.)

By Ondřej H

Jan 24, 2020

Programming seemed like magic or something unnecessarily complex to me. However, I decided to try and learn something about it. A close friend recommended Python 3 as a great starting language. This course was a perfect start. The interactive textbook is amazing. I also recommend downloading some software on your PC as well as it will provide you with additional tools for tinkering with your code.

The proscribed 1-hour limits on the tests were too short for me, but that is more due to me being relatively new to programming. The tasks themselves (even the most complex ones) take a few minutes at max if you know what you are doing.

By Robert R

Jan 15, 2019

I thought the notebook presentation was easy to follow and clear.

I preferred working my way through the notebook but the complications of UN-updated completed assignments made tracking my progress too confusing. I think that i should be able to go straight through the notebook and have progress updated correctly, immediately.

Given that i found the lectures too time consuming and, therefore, wanted to work through the notebook, I'd like to know if there are straightforward instructions as to how to do that and have everything updated with a clear guide as to which assignments are due.

Thanks, i enjoyed it and am continuing on.

By n8halsey

Mar 03, 2019

This was the best 'intro to Python basics' course that I've ever taken. The combination of video lectures, reading content, exercises, check understanding, practice, and way of the programmer made this a better experience that any face to face educational experience I've ever had. This program allowed me to learn and internalize and embrace / practice each new concept at my speed and comfort level and pace. One of the most exciting takeaways is to have learned the fundamentals of how to write 'elegant' code, The Way of The Programmer was definitely my favorite section for formal instruction of best practices!

By Archana A

Sep 21, 2020

I come from Humanities background and my knowledge was limited to copy pasting given scripts on python shell and hitting 'run'. However, Python coding is very essential to advance in my field (Natural Language Processing). So I had been trying for a couple of years using multiple resources to start learning python. But I always used to hit a wall when my code didn't work and I couldn't find my mistake. The amazing interactive textbook used in this course solved all my problems. I was able to go through the entire course without having to ask anything to anyone. Loved the textbook!

By MOHAMMED A

Jun 24, 2020

Excellent course! Coursera has improved my practical skill in programming due a lot of practices and guidance. Perfect course for you if you are a beginner in python and have no knowledge on how to start learning. The course is designed with the accompanying online textbook in mind, so it gave me the opportunity to look at the text before the video and that really improved my understanding. Also I found the exercises in the book very helpful. The assignments and quiz questions were spaced frequently enough to ensure I was learning the material as I progressed. Thank you.

By RAKIBUL A

Jul 02, 2019

One of the best course not only to learn python but also to learn programming.

It give you every details that you need to know about the basic about programming using python language. Those details also (I believe) would be helpful to learn other languages. In other courses that I have seen, they do not give you the details information, so when you are coding, become a bit difficult to understand what you are doing. But, in this course you will not only learn what code produces what output, also you will learn what is going on under the hood. (For example, using codelens)

By ChiangSheng L

Apr 26, 2019

Just finished the course. I have to say it is really worthy to give it a try. The Runestones with some challenging questions and detailed explanations do improve your understanding! Even using advanced skills (e.g regex, list comprehensions ...) will help you deal with the problems more quickly, trying to solve it with the most basic and fundamental concepts will help you understand more about the data structures and algorithms. The spaced repetition also helps a lot, but the forum is not that active, which makes me have to ask on StackOverflow sometimes.

By Jigme D

Jul 15, 2020

Python was a subject I always wanted to learn but did not know from where to start. There were too many materials and resources online making it confusing and blur as to which one to start from however this course Python Basics from University of Michigan was an outstanding course, very easy to understand, clear stage by stage chapters and very information and interactive course material. My learning may be a small drop in the ocean but i will keep my commitment to learn more.

Thank you Professor Paul and the team for sharing your knowledge.

By Vanessa S

Feb 07, 2020

This was my first coding course and my first ever coursera course and I am so happy with the result! The online teachers seemed really nice and the set up of the program made it super easy to navigate. The only thing I wish is that there were a set of problems with answer keys so that if I got super stuck on a practice assignment I could look at the answer (or part of the answer) instead of having to sift through a bunch of python blogs. Overall super fun course and would highly recommend. Thank you coursera and University of Michigan!

By Michael K

Mar 18, 2020

Good production quality, great instructors, and a fantastic digital textbook. I highly recommend making use of the supplemental Runestone textbook, even the parts not required by the Coursera course. It is a great resource that will only enhance your learning experience!

Only complaint, which I have not knocked any stars off for, is that the course may be almost too basic and only begins to scratch the surface of the language. But, the University of Michigan has numerous other Python courses that get into the more advanced topics.

By Maytat L

May 15, 2020

This course really builds a solid understanding of Python basics in deep detail. The interactive textbook in this course is really helpful especially codelens features which let you see the code implemented line by line. If you come from Python for Everbody Specialization, I would suggest continuing to this course to gain a deeper knowledge of similar materials. Be aware, the length of the lectures of this course is high, definitely much higher than Python for Everbody.

By Mahmoud G

Jun 15, 2019

I really liked how this course is structured. The course is designed with the accompanying online textbook in mind , so it gave me the opportunity to look at the text before the video and that really improved my understanding. Also I found the exercises in the book very helpful. The textbook had a feature where it automatically tests you everyday on the material that you've already covered and this repetition, in my opinion, solidifies the material in mind even further.

By Papu M

Jul 20, 2020

" python basics course was really help full for understanding basic building blocks of python. The guidance of all the instructors was also very help full. The structure of assignments , exercises and reading interactive textbook was also very help full. I greatly motivated towards Python programming and I encourage the new participants to learn and watch till the end of the lesson and you will surely gain knowledge and experience of coding platform. Thank you! "

By Ashish T

Feb 10, 2020

The faculties were excellent in explaining the basics. I had some basic knowledge about programming since I used MATLAB before but I always struggled with loops. The professors explained it with good clarity and the practice exercises(although basic) were sufficient to reinforce the learning process. This is a must course for anyone who wants to start programming in python. I would like to further see how the specialisation moves deep into the application part.

By Christopher M

Sep 21, 2019

This is a superb introduction to programming and Python. It may move a little quickly at first if you don't already know the basics of Python, but after the very, very early levels, the 'way of the programmer' segments help you organize your code and think about problem-solving in a really systematic and stylish way. I am absolutely a better programmer because of this course and will recommend it to anyone looking to learn more about programming.

By Javier L M

Hi Paul and Steve,

This is by far one of the best courses in my life. The structure, the explanation words, the exercises, the videos and the funny jokes. Everything so well integrated and the opportunity to learn this important software language as is Python that I need to study Data Structures. I appreciate and thank you very much for the professionalism and fun course that you prepared so exceptionally well.

Thank you and best regards!

Javier

By Renato U S

Apr 20, 2020

Excelente curso. Muy buen material.

Mi unica barrera de aprendizaje se refiere al idioma. Aunque puedo leer y escuchar el ingles, hay sutilezas en el idioma que no hacen tan simple comprender el 100%.

What a great course. Excellent material.

My only one barrier for learning is related to language. Even I can read and listen english, there are some details of language thet for an spanish speaker make not so simple understand the 100% of content.

By Yuan L

Aug 15, 2020

I am an absolute beginner in programming and have taken a few introductory courses on Python programming. This is by far the best introductory Python programming course. Unlike other introductory courses I attended, this course did not assume we know anything about programming or Python. It provides a systematic step-by-step modular learning. Overall, a great course to improve my interest and confidence in programming. Thank you!