Back to Big Data Analysis with Scala and Spark

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big Data Analysis with Scala and Spark by École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne

Manipulating big data distributed over a cluster using functional concepts is rampant in industry, and is arguably one of the first widespread industrial uses of functional ideas. This is evidenced by the popularity of MapReduce and Hadoop, and most recently Apache Spark, a fast, in-memory distributed collections framework written in Scala. In this course, we'll see how the data parallel paradigm can be extended to the distributed case, using Spark throughout. We'll cover Spark's programming model in detail, being careful to understand how and when it differs from familiar programming models, like shared-memory parallel collections or sequential Scala collections. Through hands-on examples in Spark and Scala, we'll learn when important issues related to distribution like latency and network communication should be considered and how they can be addressed effectively for improved performance. Learning Outcomes. By the end of this course you will be able to: - read data from persistent storage and load it into Apache Spark, - manipulate data with Spark and Scala, - express algorithms for data analysis in a functional style, - recognize how to avoid shuffles and recomputation in Spark, Recommended background: You should have at least one year programming experience. Proficiency with Java or C# is ideal, but experience with other languages such as C/C++, Python, Javascript or Ruby is also sufficient. You should have some familiarity using the command line. This course is intended to be taken after Parallel Programming: https://www.coursera.org/learn/parprog1....

CC

Jun 08, 2017

The sessions where clearly explained and focused. Some of the exercises contained slightly confusing hints and information, but I'm sure those mistakes will be ironed out in future iterations. Thanks!

CR

Apr 10, 2017

Great introduction to spark. Fun assignments. Since it was the first ever session, there were quite a few kinks with the assignments. But the discussion forums rescued me any time I was stuck.

126 - 150 of 390 Reviews for Big Data Analysis with Scala and Spark

Mar 01, 2018

Simply brilliant.

By Martin P

Aug 23, 2017

From easy to hard, not very long, but very practical!

Thanks Heather!

By Devaki B

Apr 15, 2017

It was good. Got indepth knowledge of Spark API

By Luca D S

Dec 01, 2017

It surely opens your mind, even on unrelated topics, I found myself able to apply some of the distributed computing logics even to imperative sequential programming. Good job.

By Thierry M

Feb 01, 2018

Very complet and accurate about Spark with Scala. Maybe an assignement with MongoDB or the like would be a plus

By VincentWMChan

Apr 25, 2017

Pretty nice course. But with one comment on the grading system, sometime the comment & message is not that intuitive enough.

By John V M

Apr 25, 2017

Yet another excellent Scala class. Good lectures, good assignments. Clear and understandable, while presenting a whole bunch of new concepts.

By Srinivasa R M

Sep 14, 2017

Very nice explanation with examples.

By Seongsan K

Mar 09, 2018

It was really useful material. It would be really nice if there are more assignments to polish the materials we learn, but I am really satisfied with the course.

By Jeffrey S

Apr 09, 2017

Lectures were clear and engaging and directly related to the homework. The assignments were very practical and very hard. Best course of the series!

By OUMOUSS E M

Jun 18, 2017

Very good course, it is a must for anyone who is starting in spark using scala, thanks a lot, it did really help me

By Oleg O

Jul 29, 2017

Good course, but sometime there are too much details.

By Mihir S

Sep 27, 2017

Good Course.

By Yuriy P

Oct 27, 2017

Dear Heather,

your course on big data with scala is the very first online course I participate in.

I enjoy the way you explain the material and receive a real aesthetic pleasure.

By Arnaud J

Jun 02, 2017

Great course. Would definitely recommend.

By Venkat

Jun 01, 2017

Awesome video lectures by the instructor. The content is very good and i fee i gained good knowledge. I really loved the series.

By Igor Y

May 29, 2017

This is my first cource review on English, but I want to do accent on Heather's high professionalism, great explanations abilities and great organisation of material. I need to say that I have education of computer science teacher and I can say that it's wonderful cource. It was difficult for me and I've really increased my skill. Thanx.

By Aleksander S

May 05, 2017

Amazing lectures, and challenging tasks to do on the way. I really enjoyed going through the course, and I learned a lot.

By Shiyan C

Mar 06, 2018

Wish we could have an in-depth spark class that cover spark streaming and structure streaming.

By vikas s

Jul 28, 2017

awesome course content

By Thomas Z

Feb 10, 2018

Good course. Can recommend it for everyone who wants to get into the field of data-science.

By Jose M N F

May 28, 2018

Great course. Thanks for everything.

By vijay k k